Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 06:43 AM

15 posts, read 19,462 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new house in the Pacific Northwest that has a 5x60 side yard. It is very shaded and drains well. It also has a drain. We get a lot of rain here and are wondering if we should put down river rock, gravel or use concrete. I was leaning more towards small rainbow river rock and 12x12 flagstone stepped stones. Since the dirt always seems damp I am wondering if the gravel or rock would hold moisture in the soil. My main concern is our foundation. We have a crawl space type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:22 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Just be aware that gravel travels. If that side yard's at all connected to your front or back yards, you'll be picking that gravel up with a lawnmower and flinging it everywhere. Plus you can NEVER get it all up; so every time you need to dig a hole, for example, your shovel will get an inch into the ground and then whang into a piece of stone. Over and over and over.

I come from a long line of people who made the mistake of landscaping with gravel and I have dug up and disposed of many hundreds of buckets of that damn stuff and I'm still digging it up.

Even in shady areas there are ground covers that will grow and prevent erosion. I'd suggest looking into these with a good nurseryman. Then put stepping stones to walk on.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
“Gravel or concrete for Side yard in the Pacific Northwest

Currently… I’m thinking a boat!

Seriously-
Any type of “impervious” surface material will most-likely make the problem worse. You should contact your local Extension Service for a list of natural/native species of shade tolerant plants. And if you need further assistance, ask them for a list of local “Master Gardeners”- they can help with which plantings are best for your application, how to place/plant, and care for.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:02 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
“Gravel or concrete for Side yard in the Pacific Northwest

Currently… I’m thinking a boat!

Seriously-
Any type of “impervious” surface material will most-likely make the problem worse. You should contact your local Extension Service for a list of natural/native species of shade tolerant plants. And if you need further assistance, ask them for a list of local “Master Gardeners”- they can help with which plantings are best for your application, how to place/plant, and care for.
Agree. I've lived in several Pac NW houses with shaded "side yards". Plantings (as well as the soil they're growing in) will tie up and make use some of that water. Impervious surfaces won't. It will just run off at a higher velocity. Hardscapes that are shaded most of or all the time in that climate will also get slimy. Moss will grow over them, and they'll hold frost/ice in cold weather...slip hazards.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 19,462 times
I will do some planting but I can’t plant an entire 70x5 area. I would like to keep water away from my foundation. I love 2 inch rainbow river rock and am strongly considering it. I will be planting some ferns as well.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:42 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealcup View Post
I will do some planting but I can’t plant an entire 70x5 area. I would like to keep water away from my foundation. I love 2 inch rainbow river rock and am strongly considering it. I will be planting some ferns as well.
What do you plan to do about the inevitable weeds? what about when little trees start growing up between your rocks? You won't be able to just run a mower down through there and mow them down.

You're setting yourself up for a lifetime job of hand weeding.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
In order to avoid weeds, you put down weed cloth before the rocks. The problem is that in 8-10 years that will deteriorate and weeds will come up anyway, then the rocks drop into the soil, and you end up with a mess. I would plant grass, that stabilizes the soil, and if sloped away from the house will still drain well after the roots are established.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:41 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would plant grass, that stabilizes the soil, and if sloped away from the house will still drain well after the roots are established.

As the OP has already stated, this area is “very shaded”. I don’t know of any turf-type “grasses” that can flourish in that type of environment-

Grade is the easy part. Establishing vegetation that will not only flourish, but will also prevent erosion needs to be some native species as I had previously stated.

OP- as I had previously stated consult with people that have experience in your area with native plants. The size you stated isn’t really that big- it’s more about what plantings will work best. Some of those may grow rather large with corresponding root system. Which means you probably won’t need a lot. Plus some ground cover vegetation- most of which will creep. Again, don’t need a lot, just time to grow.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:50 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
They put heavy gravel, that is compacted, in the dirt-alleyway behind my house, that is where the garbage
is picked-up and lots of utility-vehicles drive.......holds up very well.

Last edited by tickyul; 02-14-2024 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-14-2024, 07:46 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Clean vegetation completely. Pretty much, shave topsoil off.
Buy suitable number of salt granules from Home Depot, 50lb bags, for water freshener. Around $7 each. Buy the blue kind, not the yellow bags.
Liberally cover your lot with salt granules. Nice semi solid layer.
This will kill roots and prevent anything from growing.
Cover with whatever. Landscaping fabric WILL eventually allow growth.
Run French drain along the house wall.
Just keep in mind, rock is a bit harsh to walk on. Around here, folks normally do 5/8 rock. You like rainbow rock - do what you like, it will all look uniformly dirty in a year anyway.
Do NOT do round gravel, it never packs out and it's like walking on a quick sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House