Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 06:41 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

How often do you use your oven's self clean? We have a GE wall oven and we average once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 06:59 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Whenever needed.

I would say maybe twice a year. I cook a lot of meals on the grill so I don't use my oven that much. Unless I spill something in the oven, spring and fall.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Never.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We just replaced our range after about 10 years and we never used the self cleaning feature on it. There was some dripping onto the bottom of the new oven when cooking Christmas dinner and I cleaned it manually.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:10 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Never, anymore. The last appliance that came with the house is the oven. Everything else has been replaced. The self clean feature on the oven broke about a year ago, and I haven’t wanted to put the money into getting it fixed, because I know the oven will most likely fail soon.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:21 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I never have. My current oven does not have one.

I have a funny story, though. When my youngest child was about 3, my in-laws--who live five miles away--went away for a few days and asked us to feed and walk their dog. I took the kids over one morning to do that, and went again in the evening. There was a very peculiar, almost chemical smell in the house that night like something had been burning, so I called my husband to come over.

It turned out that our 3-year-old had wandered into the kitchen that morning, and with eerie accuracy had pressed one butten and turned another knob, which started the oven self-clean. It was a two-step process and I still don't know how he managed to do it. That in itself wouldn't have been so bad, but unfortunately my mother-in-law stores pots and pans in the oven, and some of them had plastic handles which had melted. Oops.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:50 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
I cook a lot and my current wall double oven has an air fry feature. I use that for chicken wings and my oven gets messy. I either use the steam clean feature or the short clean. After, I just wipe out the grey residue. It's simple and easy. I would say probably once a month? It just depends on what's on the menu.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I never have. My current oven does not have one.

I have a funny story, though. When my youngest child was about 3, my in-laws--who live five miles away--went away for a few days and asked us to feed and walk their dog. I took the kids over one morning to do that, and went again in the evening. There was a very peculiar, almost chemical smell in the house that night like something had been burning, so I called my husband to come over.

It turned out that our 3-year-old had wandered into the kitchen that morning, and with eerie accuracy had pressed one butten and turned another knob, which started the oven self-clean. It was a two-step process and I still don't know how he managed to do it. That in itself wouldn't have been so bad, but unfortunately my mother-in-law stores pots and pans in the oven, and some of them had plastic handles which had melted. Oops.
Ugh. Kids can be so quick and smart. When our kids were toddlers we used to engage the control lock button on the oven but if we had been dog sitting at someone else's house it wouldn't have even dawned on me to do that!

Old 01-03-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I cook a lot and my current wall double oven has an air fry feature. I use that for chicken wings and my oven gets messy. I either use the steam clean feature or the short clean. After, I just wipe out the grey residue. It's simple and easy. I would say probably once a month? It just depends on what's on the menu.
The steam clean method sounds like a good way to do it. I'll have to check to see if my oven has that feature.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We just replaced our range after about 10 years and we never used the self cleaning feature on it. There was some dripping onto the bottom of the new oven when cooking Christmas dinner and I cleaned it manually.
Usually our cooking doesn't mess the oven up too badly but we cook roasted duck on New Year's Eve and the grease really splatters as it cooks.

I wipe out the worst of it and then use the self clean function. Got it going now as a matter of fact. When that's completed and the oven has cooled, I'll wipe at whatever residual ash is left and enjoy a clean oven for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House