Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times

Advertisements

Real wood. Laminate may be OK if you don’t care about resale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 01:43 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One thing that is very trendy right now is tile that looks like wood. You get the best of both, I suppose. The thing is that it is a trend and it may not last. Colors too, the grays and darks of today will surely be replaced some day with something else. Removing out of style tile flooring is expensive and messy. Hardwood or laminate is a DIY project if you are so inclined.

Something else to keep in mind here. There is dust and dirt and little rocks everywhere. These get on your feet and you track them into the house. Dark tiles show footprints and hardwood finishes can be scratched. With dark tiles and hardwoods, you end up being one of those houses where people have to take their shoes off when they come in.
Guess I'm one of the trendy ones because we remodeled a couple of years ago and replaced dark tile (a nightmare in the dusty desert environment - always looked dirty) with porcelain tile that looks like wood planks. The color is something like a light sandstone blond-ish mesquite with a subtle grain baked in the tile. [EDIT: Found a link to the tile we used, it's the Creme colorway: https://www.arizonatile.com/en/produ...ramic/savannah] Seems to me hardwood flooring would take a beating, particularly the finish, again because of all the sand and dust that gets tossed around in the air around here.

Last edited by take57; 09-28-2019 at 02:19 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 AM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Or the third choice, stained concrete floors. I pulled out the old, dated tile and did stained concrete. If in 10-20 years it looks dated I simply tile over it again.
Yep!

Looks good until you are ready to sell then put down the latest greatest trendy tile.

In AZ once the temps reach their first 130* degree day it will be a buyers market.
And yes, I am a native of AZ, and if you dont think it can get 130* just wait.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:03 AM

383 posts, read 634,882 times
We have a condo and replaced all of the carpeting with water resistant laminate. It looks like wood, it doesn’t scratch with our yellow lab. Water resistant means you can spill water on it for hours and it will stand up.
We purchased it at Floor and Decor.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:42 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I had a back entry, mudroom and kitchen with Pergo tile for 15 yrs and never a scratch from big dogs. Pergo is a brand, and it was a good one.

People in my area are liking what is marketed as "luxury vinyl plank" that looks like a grey washed wood. There are other wood looks too.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
With three dogs, I don’t think I’d use Pergo. Unless the product has dramatically improved, it really shows the wear.
It's actually gotten a lot better. The LVT ("luxury" vinyl tile) we put in in our office and bathroom has held up very well, even from office chairs rolling around on it.

As far as people who say to go with wood for resale, that depends entirely on your house and market. If you are trying to sell an upscale house for top dollar, then yes, wood is probably best. But for anything closer to mid-level, I don't think that is as true as it once was.

The other thing about the LVT we used is that it isn't all that expensive - at $2.50 a sf or so (it comes with a pretty good quality underlayer), if I get tired of the pattern in 5 years, I won't have a qualm about pulling it out and replacing it with something I like better. And there are a lot of patterns available now.

Although, like anything else, there are better brands than others, as far as wear layer, the quality of the snap-together joints and the underlayer.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-28-2019, 07:12 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
wood look tile. best of both worlds.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
It's a personal choice. As a lover of real wood floors, 'wood look' tile makes me want to scream. Some laminates do a pretty good job of looking like wood, but tile looks like tile. It's very popular in new construction around here, and were I shopping for new construction today, that would be an automatic pass. Tile... sure. Big fakey looking planks? No.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 2,674,972 times
ceramic tile is water (and pet pee) proof..laminate or wood flooring is not, no matter what the manufacturer says..

Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
It's a personal choice. As a lover of real wood floors, 'wood look' tile makes me want to scream. Some laminates do a pretty good job of looking like wood, but tile looks like tile. It's very popular in new construction around here, and were I shopping for new construction today, that would be an automatic pass. Tile... sure. Big fakey looking planks? No.
I tend to agree with this. The look of some of the laminates is great but I don't like the sound of it. I have had both real wood and the ceramic/porcelain wood-look tile. For sure the wood look tile does look like tile but it's really easy maintenance. It's GREAT with dogs and all their accompanying issues (nails, pee, drool). I am thinking of flooring for the kitchen but my dog cannot seem to drink water without drooling it halfway across the house. So wood does not work for us. We currently have tile and while I don't love it, I just picture the wood with the drool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House