Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 AM

521 posts, read 991,152 times

Advertisements

I live in New Jersey and have a split AC (and furnace) system. Mine is builder grade brand I believe called ICP. I came across an article of Family Handyman yesterday where they suggested to replace the capacitor and contactor in the exterior condenser/compressor unit every five years or so.

Is this worth doing this at 5 years intervals as preventive maintenance?

Is there any other such preventive maintenance tip when it comes to split systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Bluntly, that is NUTTY. Capacitors are generally designed to have a lifespan of 20 years. If a device is causing them to fail at 4x that rate the device is flawed. Maybe whoever wrote that suggestion has particularly crummy electrical service, with lots of brown-outs -- low voltage puts strain on capacitors. I suppose if the motor driving the compressor is barely able to overcome the "starting surge" that too would strain capacitors -- make sure the unit is built with sufficient capacity for the climate you will be installing it in. Capacitors can fail early when they are subjected to over heating -- makes sense to clean the unit at least annually and be sure it is located in area where airflow is sufficient to avoid excessive heat build up.

http://www.apqpower.com/assets/files...Capacitors.pdf

I would almost say that a junky split system with an old fashioned elctro-mechanical contactor (which relies on the same principle old time wild west telegraphs were based on...) you should consider a more reputable manufacturer that uses solid state controls. There are also firms that will sell an aftermarket kit -- https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ranco-49...sor-Contactors

Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
I'd disagree with Chet about the capacitors, just based on my own experience - five years is about all I get out of capacitors. I've never lost a contactor though. As long as they're not ridiculously overpriced (they're normally a $35-50 part), I'd have them replaced before failure & keep the old one on a shelf, hopefully as part of an inexpensive maintenance call, where charge levels are checked, etc.

I have replaced contactors when you could see obvious pitting in the contacts. I'm pretty certain that takes much more than five years to appear on average.

I *wouldnt* pay say $200 in the off season to have a working capacitor changed - that's all it costs in peak season.

As for electro-mechanical contactors, they're still used & quite durable.. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,204 times
Capacitors used to last the life of the unit but since PCB has been outlawed and most are now manufactured in China we are now seeing some fail at 2 years. Since the capacitor is what gives the compressor it's starting twist (electrical phase shift) it may not be a bad idea to put them on a schedule for replacment.

The harder it is for the compressor to start the more of a chance for an early failure.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
maybe the most common fix down here as ants are attracted to this power supply and ruin/plug up the contactors. until ants are gone, they will find.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
ICP is a cheap Carrier HVAC system. For that reason alone I'd be replacing the entire unit. Not sure which is worse, Carrier or Goodman but both are cheap junk. The question of replacing any parts before they fail is kinda dumb. The units we use, Trane, American Standard, or Ruud do not have any kind of failures in at least the first 10 years. Most often the capacitor will last as long as the units which we figure to be about 20 years.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i have seen very few caps go bad in the field . most of the time the caps that were changed were mis-diagnosed. the only caps i have seen go bad regularly are the ones in vfd's after more than a decade . i had a whole load of ge/danfoss vfd's have the caps go bad .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-13-2018 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 06:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I had one starting cap on the compressor fan (not the compressor) go out in 23 years of service. It was a cheap fix. The sequencer that heated up the resistive strips also went bad, but half the heating strips still worked so I never bothered to fix it. I replaced the heat pump last year, and declined the service contract.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,970 times
Capacitors are the most likely thing to fail on a properly designed and installed system. That said, there's no need to proactively replace them providing you don't live in death valley. Chinese caps are junk, I've seen them last only a month. Buy/insist on an American capcitor...amrad or titan HD.

Filter changes are the most important any homeowner should be able to manage. DO NOT use a pleated or Hi Efficiency filters if it's 1'' thick. Instead, use a "30 day filter".

Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
havent touch mine in 21 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House