Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times

Advertisements

I have acoustic ceiling tiles in my familyroom. It is not a drop or suspended ceiling. I think the tiles are 12 x 12 and are glued in place and not held in place with fur strips or whatever those things are called. I have a contractor coming out next week to install two more heat vets and a cold air return in the family room. In doing so, he'll be cutting into the ugly acoustic ceiling tiles so I figured this would be a great time to remove them all and get a new decent ceiling put in. I've already been warned about the possibility of asbestos so for this thread, let's ignore that. Before I attempt to do this myself, I'll have the tiles tested to make sure they're asbestos free. If asbestos is found, I'll hire skilled people to remove and dispose of the tiles.

Any ideas as to the best/easiest way to remove the tiles? Specifically which tools are best? Searching online all I've seen is use a putty knife. Are those really strong enough? My brother will be doing most of the labor. I know it will be really messy and to wear protective eyewear and a mask.
Attached Thumbnails
Removal of acoustic ceiling tiles-acoustic-tile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Try a variety of tools and use whatever works best for your situation. A flat-head shovel might let him work from the floor instead of a ladder.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default You never really know.......

Never really know on those type jobs what will work good until you try it.

I have a flat bladed solid garden spade that I like to use. Can sharpen the blade and it cuts anything nicely. Use it for getting old plaster, roofing, etc.

Got the right amount of weight and you can stand back far enough from the work. I like flat pry bars, crow bars, big claw hammers and the like for stripping stuff too. Try whatever to see which works the fastest and easiest.

For something like ceiling tile, you probably never know exactly how they have been installed until you get a few of them off. Normally don't see them glued on that much. Some type of nailing is probably more common or with the suspension rails.

Maybe see if you can pry them loose and then use the good olde hands to take them down to prevent breaking them up too much or dropping and creating a lot of dust.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will be borring tools from work so I wanted to know which types of tools to borrow in advance so when my brother comes to help I'm prepared. I have putty knives and a straight nose shovel but none of those other things.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
I have a great scraper that actually has a sharp edge(not a razor) and is about 5" wide with a substantial wooden handle.

Someone who is better versed on tools may know the actual terminology, but I use it all the time and love the sharper edge.

Maybe a wallpaper scraping tool would work.

Are you sure it is not asbestos? Make sure it is not because that takes your project to a new level.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default You treat it like it has abestos if you don't know.....

Here is a couple of good sites that sort of explain the asbestos hazard in ceiling tiles. The ones you posted in the thumbnail look more like the modern cellulose crap types.

How to recognize ceiling tiles that may contain asbestos - Asbestos Visual Identification in Buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods - text about and photos of

How to recognize vermiculite building insulation that may contain asbestos fibers - Asbestos Visual Identification in Buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods -

Usually the ones that had asbestos had some type of vermiculite included in their construction and that actually is the source of the asbestos. They normally had a brownish - tan look to them. Without testing you never really know. They are not that hazardous if you can remove totally intact.

If they are actually glued in, those are probably the most dangerous. Even the glue can be a hazard. Might just want to get it tested to be on the safe side. In terms of asbestos hazardous stuff the ceiling tiles tend to be on the tame side when compared to many other materials.

If they are glued a good scrapper would be a must. Probably got a crap plaster ceiling behind it too. Usually one reason they put up the tiles in the first place. So you might figure on replacement of the complete ceiling structure in the planning stage.

I just removed a room full of those suspended tiles. Yep, reason it was put up in the first place, the plaster ceiling was toast too. Never assume the ceiling was in good shape before the installation. Best to do a small test area to see exactly what is there and how they are installed. Paneling and tiles are used to cover a lot of sins. I wound up doing a complete gut out of the room and sort of planned that after a small test area found the sins behind the pretty cover materials.

You do want a good respirator and not breathe any of the stuff, even if there is no asbestos present. Not some sort of dust mask but a real respirator. Can get a fairly good disposable one at a auto parts store for under $10.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have a great scraper that actually has a sharp edge(not a razor) and is about 5" wide with a substantial wooden handle.

Someone who is better versed on tools may know the actual terminology, but I use it all the time and love the sharper edge.

Maybe a wallpaper scraping tool would work.

Are you sure it is not asbestos? Make sure it is not because that takes your project to a new level.
I posted in my original post that I'll have the tiles tested for asbestos before I even attempt to remove them. What I was really looking for was advice on what tools to use to remove the tiles in case I end up doing the work myself. Thanks for your recommendation about the scraper.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
The scraper is going to be your best friend. Get several sizes to use, you never know when you will be in a tight spot and need a more narrow one.

You will also want to wear tighter clothing, some of the tiles will have fiberglass in them, and can be very very very itchy lol. (ask me how I know ;p)

Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 AM

236 posts, read 1,085,450 times
I had a ceiling like that once and the edges were stepped so that they could be stapled up on two edges and the next tile covered the staples. I pulled the tiles down with a garden hoe and then had to use pliers to pull the staples out of the wooden frame. After everything was nice and clean, I hung drywall on the wooden frame and it looked very nice.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks for your replies and your advice. I don't think I even own a garden hoe. I'll be headed to Lowe's to buy some scrapers this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House