Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 06:29 AM

12,547 posts, read 10,010,799 times

Advertisements

Being close together wouldn’t be as bad with single story homes and decent sized front/back yards. The problem is that two or three story homes 10 feet apart means it’s almost impossible to have privacy in any part of the yard. You can put up a fence but the homes beside you and behind you can still look down into your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:02 AM

20,321 posts, read 21,152,916 times
The shining beacon of everything that is wrong with this country.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:23 AM

13,760 posts, read 12,586,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Simply making that video seems like a huge waste of time to me. Who cares what someone else likes? Seems like the author is just looking for something to complain about. The caption says that she is an "architecture critic" - is that even a thing?
Its a nice way for her to get around saying, "I have credentials as an architect but can't get hired."

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I see subdivisions all the time with 3,000 sqft houses that are only 10' apart. Those are nothing but huge freestanding apartments as far as I'm concerned. I'll keep my smaller house on 6 acres. As the old saying goes, "they're not making anymore land".
I'll forgive that. I love my 1300 sf ranch on 1/2 an acre, but if I'm hones there are plenty of homes and neighborhoods that are right up on each other that I would move to in a heartbeat.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:09 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,807,843 times
Just another example of the silent majority effect.

People blog about this or that but the millions upon millions of families that are buying these homes with lots of square footage, usually in safe neighborhoods with good school systems, show that there are actually quite a few advantages to these types of homes.

Some people prefer 3000 square feet in a good school district. Others prefer 900 square feet but walking distance to places they can get brunch. To each their own.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 25,030,393 times
The same people that promote high density housing and large high rise units seem to be the one that complain about sizable single family homes on small lots. The are believers in dense city living and are looking to take any shots at the suburbs.

In this country people should be left alone to spend their housing dollars any way the want and if offends some of these 'experts' they should look the other way. I am not a fan of the so-called McMansion developments, but it is not my dollars they are spending, so more power to them.

Again, here are the 'experts' telling everyone else how to live.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:08 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,292,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes just like theater critic, music critic, fashion critic, food critic, movie critic. you get the idea.
Apparently there's a critic for everything, I guess, no matter how useless that critic may be to the general public. I guess I could call myself a "nose-picking technique critic" or an "eloquent-use-of-swear-words critic" too, then?

My point is - why would it matter to the average middle-class family whether this woman approves of their house or not? Why, for example, should they care whether the roof "nub" is too narrow or not? That will never affect the integrity of the house. So why should anyone care? The only reason for that is for people who only care about keeping up with the Jones's. Maybe some people just want a large house in a good neighborhood, and aren't interested in what strangers think about them and their house.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,897,940 times
To each his own. In my old neighborhood of small (800-1200 sq. ft.) 50's-era homes, people started putting up the McMansions. They'd either fit a long narrow one on one lot or buy two houses, raze them and put up a huuuge house.

There would be five cute little bungalows and then WHAM! a huge Mediterranean villa, a few more bungalows and WHAP! a monstrous French Provincial. It was just sort of "jarring", architecturally-wise.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 AM

6,761 posts, read 6,018,013 times
In my metro area, the older proportional homes are being rapidly replaced by disproportionate mcmansions. Many are actually in violation or borderline violation of zoning laws which set building size vs. acreage, >10 ft. from street, number of stories, etc.

Money seems to explain the exceptions. These towns employ $60K/year bureaucrats to review architecture plans for $1.2 million homes, and the wealthy buyers, builders, and architects can afford great lawyers. Plus, of course, there's pressure to approve, for the sake of the higher tax revenues these monstrosities bring in.

I'm worried that these structures are crowding out the middle class housing that every town needs to avoid becoming some kind of hollow, soul-less bedroom community. When the cops, sanitation workers, firefighters, and teachers can't afford to live in the town they serve, you're in trouble.

If I ever came into $50 million or so -- invent a "cloud connected" mouse trap, for example -- then I would embark on a de-McMansion-ization project in my town. Buy every such structure as it came on the market for whatever they ask, then knock it down and replace with an affordable 3-family townhouse and give first priority to young families, especially cops firefighters etc. Anyone wanna go in on this with me?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 AM

7,542 posts, read 4,790,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Being close together wouldn’t be as bad with single story homes and decent sized front/back yards. The problem is that two or three story homes 10 feet apart means it’s almost impossible to have privacy in any part of the yard. You can put up a fence but the homes beside you and behind you can still look down into your yard.
Exactly.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 AM

7,542 posts, read 4,790,104 times
I think there is value to the blogger's comments. The gist of her blog is for people to rise up and shake the developers to design houses that are more functional than cosmetic and I think we all can agree to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House