Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 241,655 times

Advertisements

My family just bought a late 19th century New England house that we're in the process of renovating. We plan on replacing the kitchen cabinets and repairing some of the walls. We took down some of the cabinets yesterday and noticed that the walls (lath and plaster) have some kind of hairy/furry substance.

We are now freaking out at the prospect of having to pay for asbestos abatement, which we really can't afford at this point in time. I've asked a few contractors about it, but they all told me not to worry because asbestos was most commonly used to insulate pipes, ceilings, or tiles, not plaster walls.

Does asbestos behind walls need to be removed if I'm going to cover the area up with drywall and kitchen cabinets? I don't know for sure if the walls contain asbestos, but I do know that asbestos was used in the shingles outside and some of the pipes in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 241,655 times
does this look like asbestos to you?

here are some pictures:

Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
That's horsehair plaster,but, it could have asbestos in it. The loose white rock wool insulation is more likely to asbestos in it.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
With the exception of the ones that are pink fiberglass insulation and that 2nd to last one which looks confusing, those look like horsehair plaster to me. (I grew up in 19th century New England homes and helped my parents remodel as a teenager). Horsehair plaster looks like that - crumbly with fibers in them (literally horsehair, you can actually see the different hair colors). You could probably get it tested if you're really worried, but the sources of asbestos I've heard of date later - popcorn ceilings and asbestos siding shingles

Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Only way to be sure is by having a lab look at it under a microscope. You can't tell by the naked eye (except for the horse hair and pink fiberglass insulation).

Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Looks like asbestos in the cotton type white insulation. The pink stuff looks like just old fiberglass and the first pic does not look like asbestos. You can test it if you want. I would wear good filter masks simply due to the old dust and irritating fibers. You can always simply drywall over the existing plaster to encase the old possibly asbestos material.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
None of the photos look to be asbestos to me. The second to the last photo is mineral wool (aka rock wool). It's seems to be the only one which might possibly contain asbestos--simply can't tell from the photo.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
I deal with old homes fairly often being an electrical contractor and let me tell you...DONT disturb anymore plaster in that home until you know for certain no asbestos is present. You also have to worry about lead paint.

Once you disturb asbestos tiny particles will be floating around your whole house. Opening a window will do nothing and make it worse. And DONT use a shop vac. You need a certified vacuum with a HEPA filter and they are fairly expensive.

Call the pros out to have things tested and safely removed. If you get asbestos in your lungs that's it. You won't notice any effects to your health right away, but years down the line you can get cancer and worse risk of death.

The plaster to me looks like asbestos because it's more of a white/clear look to it but I could be wrong. Horse hair plaster is darker and multi color because it comes from the horses manes and tails.

Be careful consult the professionals before you touch anything else.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Run a search for asbestos. There are some very good sites that can give you good info on identifying possible asbestos. No need to be afraid or more than concerned. You can encapsulate asbestos many different ways.

No matter what you do, make sure to get some zipwalls to isolate the areas you are working on from other areas and close off any HVAC vents or ducts leading to or away from the area.

One more thing, while not to diminish the hazards of asbestos, it is like smoking, some people can smoke their entire lives and never get cancer, some smoke for a few years a bingo. My meaning is that while it is a hazard, you can do some very simple things to deal with it if it turns out to be that.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Trying to identify asbestos from a photo is very difficult in most cases, especially wall / ceiling material. Its sometimes very easy to determine if something is NOT asbestos, such as the pink insulation.
My suggestion is to have the material tested by a lab, and then you will know for sure.

Many times I will go into a home to sample material and surprised at the results that come back from the lab. Asbestos was widely used in plastering materials. Just have it tested, then you will know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House