Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM

239 posts, read 673,151 times

Advertisements

Our washer and dryer are on the second floor and the dryer vent tube goes into the ceiling of the laundry room. I noticed the ceiling around the vent having a water stain and now it's starting to crack and sag. I'm guessing this is due to a leak in the roof shingles around the outside vent. Just want to make sure this is it before I call out the roofer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I suspect that this is the handiwork of someone that is very unskilled, has no knowledge of code, and likely has made other mistakes.

The air exhausted from a dryer is very very very warm and carries a great deal of moisture vapor. As soon as that exhaust hits cold air the moisture vapor will condense to liquid water. Liquid water will them fall down and cause problems. There may very well be liquid water leaking right back into the pipe. If you live in an area where there is often snow on the roof there can be dangerous build up of melted snow that refreezes into ice that seeps back into a the roof. Codes often specify a type of vent that will prevent this.

There are ways to do this with a specific anti-condensing vent or using a vent line that exits through a side wall horizontally so any liquid can safely drip away. http://www.dryerjack.com/djk486/index.html You will note that thing is sorta HUGE so that it does not make a mess. It also has flap so that squirrels do not crawl into the exhaust when the dry is not running and fill it with acorns. It also has a removable access so that you can clean out the lint -- that is a code requirement in many jurisdictions as a lint filled dryer vent is often a fire waiting to happens!

I am afraid you have to rip out your ceiling to diagnose the extent of the damage. You should also have the proper type vent to safely get the dry exhaust out to the roof. The pipe itself needs to have a proper weather sealing "boot" on it.

This could get very expensive and may be worth making a claim on your home owner's policy. It may be best to re-route to a side wall...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-15-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Is there an attic above the 2nd floor? First thing I would check is to see if the dryer vent itselft is the culprit. If you have access to the vent above the ceiling, I would inspect that first.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 PM

good point. let me get up there into the attic.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM

so i got into the attic. moved all the stuffing so i could get a view and feel for the ceiling. definitely felt the deterioration but felt no moisture. i haven't used the dryer in a few days and it hasn't rained either.

i saw the dryer vent in tact....not really sure what to look for there. just signs of a leak i guess but the last time there was a leak around there i would hear the ticking sound of rain against the aluminum.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 PM

You need to take note of when it leaks.

Does it rain or after rain?
When you are using the dryer?

Does the drver vent come up to the attic and then up to the roof? I would inspect to make sure that the vent flap is working properly.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 AM

true.... So other than getting on the roof maybe I run the dryer at night and look for stream

Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
true.... So other than getting on the roof maybe I run the dryer at night and look for stream
Put a bunch of fabric softener sheet in the dryer and run it. Can you smell it outside?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Put a bunch of fabric softener sheet in the dryer and run it. Can you smell it outside?
that would be hard to do since the vent is way up. it's a three story townhouse so it's quite high.

here's a pic i took tonight. in the beginning i noticed the stain ring...then that escalated into this. the crusty part is about to fall apart any minute. not sure what i should do. for the short term, maybe patch up with plaster and caulk. i do feel clothes are taking longer to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky Roof Around Dryer Vent?-ceil.jpg  

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Get the problem fixed first before worrying about the ceiling. Does the part on the roof look like the one Chet posted or is it just a straight pipe? I'm guessing this whole thing was done completely wrong... is that flexible duct just shoved through a hole in the ceiling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House