Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 48,750 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide what kind of flooring to put in. I have 2 active dogs 55lbs and 22lbs. I have read that bamboo is harder than white oak but am not sure about scratching. I have heard mixed reviews about the scratch-resistance of laminate. This will be over above-grade cement slab so floating with moisture barrier is the best option. Anyone have experience with either type of flooring? I have already installed porcelain tile in foyer, mudroom and kitchen so all the entrances are super-durable. Tile is just a bit too chilly over cement in the winter in bedrooms and living room. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:44 PM

373 posts, read 1,473,103 times
I had this same question ( 3 kids and a dog), so I ordered some stranded bamboo samples because I know they are "harder" than the standard vertical or horizontal bamboo. I scratched them with my key, it left NO MARKS! I let a drink sit and sweat on the sample all day until the water completly dried, NO WATER MARKS OR DAMAGE. I was completely sold. If I had not seen it with my own eyes you would not have been able to convince me. You can order samples, most places will send them free of charge. The stranded bamboo comes in natural, carbonized and a really pretty combo called tiger bamboo. These floor can also be refinished down the road, but it would probably be really far down the road.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,425,669 times
the problem with bamboo flooring is keeping them sealed and moist. they are prone to splitting.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,911 times
Are you talking regular bamboo or the strand woven bamboo? They are very different. I have samples too and it took a nail pressing hard to scratch the varnish. I've read that during installation, it can splinter. I put my sample soaking in water for 24 hours with no indication it had spent the time there. The sample I have also had varnish on all 6 sides of the board.

I've read many complaints that laminate does not hold up well with dogs so I took it out of my consideration long ago. Damaged laminate cannot be fixed. The wood or strand woven bamboo can be sanded and refinished just like solid wood floors.

I've been looking for the down side of strand woven bamboo and all I've found is some people don't like how it looks. I'd be interested in any experience with it after living with installed for some time.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM

967 posts, read 4,789,591 times
We just had bamboo installed and I absolutely love the feel and look of it, and it seems to withstand the pets running around and my inevitable spills aok. Our installer did break several pieces during installation and get splinters so it doesn't sound like the easiest install. He found an overstock of it and got us a really good deal. We're very happy with it.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,232,188 times
I've had bamboo flooring for a year and a half. The sales woman said that it was impenetratable. She used that word a number of times.

I had it put throughout the living areas and have to tell you that my dog's nails have scratched it all up. It sickened me at first, because I paid a lot for it and thought I had done my homework. But I must say that I wouldn't have been happy with laminate. I love the look and feel of bamboo. It is easy to clean and as long as water isn't allowed to sit on it for hours, very water resistant.

I also have kids and they are hard on everything, but the bamboo has held up well. As for the scratches, I have put area rugs in several places and just figure that it is a natural product, so scratches are inevitable when you have a dog. Wood would have done the same.

It can be refinished, so when I want to sell, I will have them refinished and they will look like new.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 48,750 times
Default bamboo or laminate

Thanks for the input. The problem, as always, is budget. Since I will be installing this myself, glue-down really isn't an option. I installed the tile myself, but glue is a whole different matter from mortar -- at least that cleans up with water!
I need to stick with floating the floor (over cement slab) -- using click style flooring. I have looked at the strand-woven but haven't found any that are installed without glue. Has anyone found strand-woven click-style? I too, prefer the look of bamboo, but if it is going to look like crap after the dogs hit it, my thought was maybe AC4 (commercial) rating laminate is the way to go. Additional comments? Thanks.

Last edited by kiahsmom; 11-03-2007 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,568,882 times
I havent the issue with scratches and the style of the wood makes it less ovious than traditional wood floor. I also keep my dogs claw trimmed but she has grabbed hold the flioor when she about slid down the stairs lol but I didnt see any ovious marks

my floor

Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,911 times
Very pretty. that's the horizontal regular bamboo.

Glue down isn't hard to do. I did an engineered oak floor glue down and it still looks great 10 years later. No harder than tile. I think Stepco makes an engineered strand woven bamboo that might be floatable. Do a search on that.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,232,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I've had bamboo flooring for a year and a half. The sales woman said that it was impenetratable. She used that word a number of times.

I had it put throughout the living areas and have to tell you that my dog's nails have scratched it all up. It sickened me at first, because I paid a lot for it and thought I had done my homework. But I must say that I wouldn't have been happy with laminate. I love the look and feel of bamboo. It is easy to clean and as long as water isn't allowed to sit on it for hours, very water resistant.

I also have kids and they are hard on everything, but the bamboo has held up well. As for the scratches, I have put area rugs in several places and just figure that it is a natural product, so scratches are inevitable when you have a dog. Wood would have done the same.

It can be refinished, so when I want to sell, I will have them refinished and they will look like new.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/bamboo.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House