Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

In a recently purchased home (early '70's), there is an intercom system with the main base mounted in the kitchen wall (photo) and little speakers mounted in nearly every other room throughout the two-story house. They still work but obviously they don't serve any purpose these days.

Has anyone uninstalled these systems and put something more creative in its place? These are a wired system with each speaker/room have three wires per box.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdated Intercom suggestions-012012072901.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
I like the idea of them, I would put in a modern system using the existing wiring. Just go to the Nutone site and click on intercom systems. There may also be other manufacturers at this point...

Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
I like the idea of them, I would put in a modern system using the existing wiring. Just go to the Nutone site and click on intercom systems. There may also be other manufacturers at this point...
That would be my suggestion as well, though if it isn't working, it usually the wiring that is shot on intercoms of that age. The nice thing about new intercoms is that they have radios, cd player, ipod inputs etc, so you can have music in all the rooms.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
That's so funny, I grew up in the '70s, and one of the kids I played with on out block had the intercom system in their house. I remember thinking that was so neat!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
The kids today still think it's a fun idea. Their favorite is piping the radio throughout thehouse. ThenI'll switch it TO the seventies music, which drives them crazy.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
, though if it isn't working, it usually the wiring that is shot on intercoms of that age.

Its extremely rare that you would have a problem with the wiring. If none of the system works, its something at the base unit; could be a dead power supply or something blown on the board.

I use, at nutones recommendation, a company called Space Age Electronics to do repairs. A total rebuild will run about $250 max plus return shipping shipping and installation costs.

As for installing a new unit to be able to play cd's or iPod, you can do that with most units even from the '70's. There is an auxillary input inside that many people connected record players or tape decks to; you can use this for anything.

As for replacing your system to a newer model, call nutone and tell them what you have. They can tell you what fits your current frame. Otherwise you'll probably end up patching drywall as newer units are a bit smaller. They do have some options though.

Also, if you change an older base unit to a nee model, you will have to replace every station in the home.

A total upgrade (base unit and 5-6 remote stations) is going to be anywhere from $4k-$7k depending on what you have and what you're changing to.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
The problems with the old ones barring any malfunction is the crackly knobs and switches and the sound quality compared to today's equipment.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The kids today still think it's a fun idea. Their favorite is piping the radio throughout thehouse. ThenI'll switch it TO the seventies music, which drives them crazy.
A friend's house had one of those gizmos; it looked just like yours! We loved playing with it; we could even get the music out on the covered porch. We'd spend hours out there on rainy days, listening to music and generally goofing off.

And her mom would do the same -- switch our Top 40 radio station to the beautiful music station. It used to drive us nuts!

Oh, and if your kids enjoy it -- it does still serve a purpose!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
we bought a new base and also had to replace every speaker.....ordered it online thru Ebay.....then hired an electrician to install. The whole thing cost us about $500. We don't use it, simply making sure everything in the house is functional for the time when we sell the house. At the time we were planning on listing the house but with the economic crisis we are holding off. Our house was built in 1981 and the old Nutone system didn't work. The new one looks more contemporary but we didn't get anything fancy, basically radio and intercom.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Maybe this is too simple, but our phones have intercoms on them. We bought a set of phones (6) at Costco and use the intercom i.e. #1 kitchen #2 garage #3 workshop #4 basement #5 family room #6 master bedroom. Cost was about $69.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House