Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times

Advertisements

I just got my washer connected, yippee!

I'm in an old Brooklyn, NY apartment with it's own breaker box. Before I even get the nerve to ask the LL I wanted a professional licensed electrician who could give me an honest answer on if getting the wiring done would be possible (and of course I would hire a licensed electrician if I get the go ahead).

The dryer as I said would run on 240/v 30 amps. My concern would be of course the present wiring. Although I was told the building was rewired at some point hence the breaker boxes in each apartment but something scared me as I was perusing the net, something with Federal Pacific breakers. My breaker box is a Federal Pacific , I don't know the year or model # since inside the box the printed paper glued inside is no longer legible. Basically it said Federal Pacific made faulty breakers that didn't cut power on a overloaded line causing fires. Not sure if this meant all FP breakers or only certain ones. I surely want to know cause I don't want to live here if it's all of them and I'll start screaming at someone if it is.

Of course I wouldn't want to create a fire hazard or put something in that wouldn't be able to handle load here.

Please advise. I'm loving using my new washer but if I can't use the dryer it's no biggie since the washer removes so much of the water my clothes will dry fast naturally, but the dryer would be less work and easier for things like sheets and blankets.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I just got my washer connected, yippee!

I'm in an old Brooklyn, NY apartment with it's own breaker box. Before I even get the nerve to ask the LL I wanted a professional licensed electrician who could give me an honest answer on if getting the wiring done would be possible (and of course I would hire a licensed electrician if I get the go ahead).

The dryer as I said would run on 240/v 30 amps. My concern would be of course the present wiring. Although I was told the building was rewired at some point hence the breaker boxes in each apartment but something scared me as I was perusing the net, something with Federal Pacific breakers. My breaker box is a Federal Pacific , I don't know the year or model # since inside the box the printed paper glued inside is no longer legible. Basically it said Federal Pacific made faulty breakers that didn't cut power on a overloaded line causing fires. Not sure if this meant all FP breakers or only certain ones. I surely want to know cause I don't want to live here if it's all of them and I'll start screaming at someone if it is.

Of course I wouldn't want to create a fire hazard or put something in that wouldn't be able to handle load here.

Please advise. I'm loving using my new washer but if I can't use the dryer it's no biggie since the washer removes so much of the water my clothes will dry fast naturally, but the dryer would be less work and easier for things like sheets and blankets.

Thanks in advance.
Lots of stories about Federal Pacific... all I can say is I have them in several properties including the one I reside and have no plans to change.

Now, something like aluminum wiring for residential 15 and 20 amps circuits is unacceptable to me because I know too many that have had problems.

Don't know anyone that has had a FP problem and they were the box of choice in thousands of homes around me.

One thing you can do is to manually turn each breaker off and on again... this exercise has been recommended to me by several electricians as good practice for all circuit breakers...

As always... code enforcement in your jurisdiction always has the final say.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Do you remember when the Ford Explorers had the Bridgestone tire problem years ago? It seems that some of the tires blew out and the cars wrecked (or something like that). Well, there were thousands of people that had those tires that never had a problem. However, lots of people had big problems.

Federal Pacific breakers are very similar, except there was never a true recall on them. If you read the entire history of FP, you will get the idea of why a total recall was never issued.

Here is a website where you can get very good information about Federal Pacific panels. Federal Pacific Electric FPE Stab-Lok Panel Circuit Breaker Hazard, Repairs, Electrical Panel Replacement Electricians Directory for Stab-Lok Repairs. Since most of the problems had to do with the double pole breakers, you can get a after market breaker for your dryer.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
I owned a condo where all units had FP boxes and breakers and every couple of years we would have to deal with an owner in panic wanting to rewire. We never did and the complex is thirty years old and has never had a problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Do you remember when the Ford Explorers had the Bridgestone tire problem years ago? It seems that some of the tires blew out and the cars wrecked (or something like that). Well, there were thousands of people that had those tires that never had a problem. However, lots of people had big problems.

Federal Pacific breakers are very similar, except there was never a true recall on them. If you read the entire history of FP, you will get the idea of why a total recall was never issued.

Here is a website where you can get very good information about Federal Pacific panels. Federal Pacific Electric FPE Stab-Lok Panel Circuit Breaker Hazard, Repairs, Electrical Panel Replacement Electricians Directory for Stab-Lok Repairs. Since most of the problems had to do with the double pole breakers, you can get a after market breaker for your dryer.
Thanks Barking Spider for offering sound advice as usual

Dozens of recall notices cross my desk each month and some deal with electrical distribution components... So far I have not been able to find a product recall for Federal Pacific non-industrial Breakers...

I've come across panels that were so corroded from marine air or being located in a plating shop that would give me nightmares...

Heres a PDF link for more info...

http://www.homeinspectormark.com/sit...nformation.pdf

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-08-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Thank you guys for your quick replies.

Spider, that was one of the sites I'd went to, it scared me.

Thank you too Ultrarunner for that site also.

O'k, so now I'm a little calmer now but still have a couple of questions.

A handy man I hired to make the washer connections told me that these old buildings can't handle a 220 connection. Since I have a breaker box this puzzled me 'cause I thought as long as the wiring and separate breaker was added for the dryer only that there shouldn't be a problem, being at some point someone did upgrade the wiring in the building.

Lastly, for a 240v/30 amp inclusion to an available slot(s) would I need a permit for this work? Again I'm in Brooklyn, NY.

Thanks again guys.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Can't handle a 220 connection???? That just does not sound right. The existing air conditioner is likely 240V. Do you have an electric range? Water heater? Those are probably 240V.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Maybe that's because it's coming from a Handyman instead of a licensed electrician?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Maybe that's because it's coming from a Handyman instead of a licensed electrician?

Spider, Runner this is true. lol

Even I a lay person questioned his reasoning and asked him to explain. I couldn't understand if the wiring had been updated why it would be a problem. He didn't have a good answer so this is the reason I came here to ask just in case there was something behind it.

Nothing here in the apartment that runs on 240v but I do have an window air conditioner that's 10,000 btus and a portable that's 12,000 btus. When I used the 12,000 portable a/c if I used my hair dryer it would trip the breaker. So I learned either to use an outlet on another line or just turn off the a/c. I plan to sell the portable a/c.

I'm a planner and like to have all bases covered. Although the purchase of the dryer is months away I just like to know if I'll be able to use it or not. I plan to buy the dryer regardless because I want a matching dryer and don't want to wait in case they're discontinued.

My friend's brother is a licensed electrician and I would like to get him to do the work. I know he can answer these questions but I wanted to know them now.

What about the permit? I did look it up at the DOB site but I wasn't sure as to the jargon or whether or not a new panel has to be added (the right side panel is covered slots but I don't know if they're ready to use. I know an electrician can tell.

Sorry I'm rambling on and on.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Spider, Runner this is true. lol

Even I a lay person questioned his reasoning and asked him to explain. I couldn't understand if the wiring had been updated why it would be a problem. He didn't have a good answer so this is the reason I came here to ask just in case there was something behind it.

Nothing here in the apartment that runs on 240v but I do have an window air conditioner that's 10,000 btus and a portable that's 12,000 btus. When I used the 12,000 portable a/c if I used my hair dryer it would trip the breaker. So I learned either to use an outlet on another line or just turn off the a/c. I plan to sell the portable a/c.

I'm a planner and like to have all bases covered. Although the purchase of the dryer is months away I just like to know if I'll be able to use it or not. I plan to buy the dryer regardless because I want a matching dryer and don't want to wait in case they're discontinued.

My friend's brother is a licensed electrician and I would like to get him to do the work. I know he can answer these questions but I wanted to know them now.

What about the permit? I did look it up at the DOB site but I wasn't sure as to the jargon or whether or not a new panel has to be added (the right side panel is covered slots but I don't know if they're ready to use. I know an electrician can tell.

Sorry I'm rambling on and on.
I can't comment on the permit requirements in NYC... I have pulled permits to install electric dryers... sometimes it required increasing service capacity and other times it was just a matter of adding the property breaker and wire/receptacle.

My city requires #8 for 30 amp dryer service...

I have installed Euro Style Washer/Dryer pairs that only require a singe 20 amp 220 outlet with the washer getting power directly from an outlet on the dryer...

One installation, the inspector allowed me to use the dedicated washer 20 amp, 120v circuit and convert it to 220v... it was sweet because only needed to buy the breaker and convert the receptacle...

The pair was very stylish and not full capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House