Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 44,611 times

Advertisements

We are planning the complete remodel of our small kitchen after 34 yrs. in a 1952 home in Oregon (~$500,000). We have a 3 yr old Jenn Air dual fuel and dual oven stove which my wife loves. We have to replace the frig., going to a bottom freezer GE Profile due to space concerns and will replace the dish washer. All new cabinets, flooring lighting etc. Question: Go all stainless (replacing the white stove with identical stainless), or go white. Upkeep vs style. Will probably stay in home another 5-10 yrs, retired with no children at home, occasional grand kids. Hearing both sides: Hate the stainless upkeep. Stainless looks great and catches eye on resale. Anybody with experience with both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Default Stainless Steel Appliances!!!

I worked in (and my family owned a retail furniture business), so this is just my opinion after several years in the industry.

I love stainless steel but ended up purchasing white appliances almost three years ago. I based my decision on the fact that we would probably stay in this house 5-10 years. Unfortunately, most appliances today are not made all that well. Many people are starting to replace appliances within the 5-7 year period depending on what they buy and my concern would be whether you will be easily able to match the stainless steel finish if that is a required of you; whereas white is relatively easy to match. Also white is much easier to keep clean. I had lots of complaints from customers that they found the stainless a very big hassle to keep clean (even though I always forewarned folks). If I had been buying appliances for home resale within a 1-3 year period--stainless would have been my choice. Stainless is also a great choice for folks who look at their kitchen more than they use it. People really like additional features too, especially convection, smooth top, icemakers, etc. When you are looking at stainless steel products rub your hands or fingers on different spots...all stainless is not created equal. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I think the days of stainless being the thing are just about over. The fad is fading. Stainless is a pain to keep up too. Fingerprints every time you even think about touching it!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I was actually disappointed when I found out my new kitchen was going to be stainless. I've been here a month now; the fingerprints really have not been bad at all (and our kitchen is used: breakfast, lunch and dinner.) You just have to put that stuff on it and it really helps with the smudges.
We are emptynesters with kids occasionally home.

Knowing what I know now, I am not sure what I would have used if I had designed this kitchen myself. Maybe titanium?
Will stainless be timeless like granite? I dunno, the professionals always use it but maybe homeowners will move on? But to what?

My old kitchen was maple cabinets, oak floors and white appliances, but we replaced our 'fridge before we left, and it sure is true about appliances not being made as well as they formerly were (at least, not the outside.) The guys were really careful but they got a ding in one of the doors and it had to be replaced.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
I know in high end kitchens you can have the front of things like your dishwasher and fridge covered with a panel that matches the cabinets but I don't think thats an option for all, like certainly not the oven or the microwave.

I have always like the look of stainless but had not been aware of a cleaning issue...I'm glad to read peoples experiences. Has anyone had a problem with scratches on stainless?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think the days of stainless being the thing are just about over. The fad is fading.
Actually I head the same thing from one of the salesfolks when we were looking at fridges. He said one of the company reps was in the store and told them the new trend was going to be going away from stainless.
lol you never know we may see the come back of the "harvest gold" & "avacodo green"
Kind of like the palm tree phase of a few years ago. My sister is in the process of "de-palming" her house because she said that fad is over. lol Just wait till she finds out stainless maybe on the way out.
She is one of those "my house must be the current style" type person. Way to much work for me
I would rather focus my energy on our gardens. Plants never go out of style

karla

Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I know in high end kitchens you can have the front of things like your dishwasher and fridge covered with a panel that matches the cabinets but I don't think thats an option for all, like certainly not the oven or the microwave.

I have always like the look of stainless but had not been aware of a cleaning issue...I'm glad to read peoples experiences. Has anyone had a problem with scratches on stainless?
If you clean stainless too diligently, you can scratch it. I'm not sure it's so much a scratch as it is changing the character of finish so 1 area isn't a match for another area.

I like the matching panel thing but it is very expensive. High end dishwashers often come with several different color panels stored in the door. So before you replace the dishwasher, check. You may be able to change the color with a different panel rather than replacing the whole thing.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
You have to go with what you like. Stainless will never go out of style at my house. The wife has a fetish for it. We rub it with a little bit of baby oil, and it always looks great.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
We have a lot of new developments around here with $1M plus homes going in. Almost ALL of them are furnished with stainless appliances. I don't know where it is going out of style, but I personally think it is classic and won't ever truly go "out" but there may be other things coming "in."

Avacado green and such are what I consider FADS, not real trends.

We had black marble countertops, maple cabinets and stainless appliances in our last home and it was absolutely beautiful. We moved here and there is some really ugly white fridge and then black stove and dishwasher. I can't WAIT to replace them all.

I will be getting stainless for sure.

Dawn

Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storky View Post
We are planning the complete remodel of our small kitchen after 34 yrs. in a 1952 home in Oregon (~$500,000). We have a 3 yr old Jenn Air dual fuel and dual oven stove which my wife loves. We have to replace the frig., going to a bottom freezer GE Profile due to space concerns and will replace the dish washer. All new cabinets, flooring lighting etc. Question: Go all stainless (replacing the white stove with identical stainless), or go white. Upkeep vs style. Will probably stay in home another 5-10 yrs, retired with no children at home, occasional grand kids. Hearing both sides: Hate the stainless upkeep. Stainless looks great and catches eye on resale. Anybody with experience with both?
If it was me and I was planning on staying in my home for 10 more years I would go with white. I personally do not want to ADD to the upkeep of my home. If you are upgrading to high end have you thought about some of the other products/looks that are coming on the market? My mind is a blank right now but I saw some of the new kitche stuff on that kitchen trade show HGTV airs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House