Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times

Advertisements

We have carpet over top of the 14 steps on our staircase. I want to know what you think the general ballpark cost of this would be. I would do the labor of pulling up the old carpet on the staircase, along with the staples. How much labor would be involved and what would the general cost be? We have 3/4 red oak flooring on the main level that lead to the stairs so we would be using this type of wood. Any ballpark estimates would help. I am in NC btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Are you saying there is not hardwood underneath the current stairs? If there were of course you would just remove the carpet and padding, staples, tackstrips if any, and polish or refinish.

I there is not, then one would have to know if the stairs are open or not with banisters, railings, etc, or closed, meaning a full wall on each side.

Contact your local REAL lumberyard and ask them about finding a good finish carpenter.

Frank

Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 PM

The first 4 steps have a banister to the left, then there is a turn with the next 6 steps having a wall on both sides, then the last steps have a banister on the left and a wall on the right. Can you try to give me a better estimate now? Also, there is not hardwoods underneath, just plywood and/or white pine, so we def have to put down the oak.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
The first 4 steps have a banister to the left, then there is a turn with the next 6 steps having a wall on both sides, then the last steps have a banister on the left and a wall on the right. Can you try to give me a better estimate now? Also, there is not hardwoods underneath, just plywood and/or white pine, so we def have to put down the oak.

The banister, handrail and spindles will need to be removed in order to install the steps. Plus you may not be able to reuse them, it depends on how they are installed.

You are most likely looking between $10K and $15K to do that job using low end materials.

On the low end steps will run $100 to $150 each. Risers will run $35 to $50 each. Spindles start around $10 each. Newel post start around $100 each. Skirt boards start around $15 a foot. Handrails start around $15 to $20 a foot. Return ends start around $50 each. Corners for handrails start around $50 each. Upeasings if using start around $50 each. Then you have to figure in for fittings, wood plugs, etc. to install newel post, handrails etc.

Keep in mind that these are for unfinished material so you will be paying for installation plus finishing. Plus depending on what type of stairs you want and what type of material you plan on using will determine how much the materials will run.

I completed One last year that the materials alone ran me $26K and the complete job was right under $60K.

Here is a good site to price out your materials.

Stair Parts l Wood Treads l Iron Balusters l Wrought Iron Railings l Baluster l Wood Stairs

One thing to remember is to use someone who knows how to install stairs properly or you may find yourself having to re-purchase material that they cut wrong or damage.

You may want to talk to a few builders in your area and ask them who they use on stair installations. Make sure they know you are installing a finish product because if not they will likely give you a framers name and not a real stair person.

busta

Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Wow, I was thinking material in the few hundred bucks as well as labor and I could get it done for a $1,000 or so. Nevermind then, I am not doing them. How much to just do the little bit of wood on each side and carpet in the middle?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Wow, I was thinking material in the few hundred bucks as well as labor and I could get it done for a $1,000 or so. Nevermind then, I am not doing them. How much to just do the little bit of wood on each side and carpet in the middle?
We did that with our stairs. If you do the wood work yourself and only hire a carpet installer, it will cost between $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the quality of carpet.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
OMG!
Busta- just put the death grip on something with only half information.
I've been using this company for years (prefab staircases). But, they also do "makeovers"-

Architecture Designs by Southern Staircase For Curved Spiral Staircases, Home Remodeling Stairs, Custom Millwork Manufacturer of Stairway Balustrades, Railings, Spindles and Parts

They have an office in your area. Please contact them and get a quote. That will get you in the ballpark of price (labor and materials). Use the quote and/or them as you see fit.

As far as "that" previous post-
A lot of unanswered questions, are the stairs site-built or prefab? (what is the age of the house?)
Are the current treads true 1" stair tread material or is it 2X?
Are the stairs "open stringer" or "closed stringer"?
All of these things play a part in the cost, along with landings- will they be hardwood? Also, the current rise may change with new treads- which can create problems at the base and top of stairs. This will require shimming (more labor).
Anyway, I wouldn't even attempt a price without actually inspecting it myself- a layman describing stairs without knowing the actual terms or anatomy of stairs is time wasted.
I strongly encourage you to contact So. Str.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 AM

10 posts, read 198,519 times
They will vary greatly depending on what you choose as finish material. Also because you are changing the height of the riser; building code insist that the riser height cannot vary more than 1/8" to 1/4" (depends on the city your in). That can make it more expensive to remodel assuming you have a reputable stair contractor or remodeler who is genuinely concerned for your safety. If the floor covering on the 1st floor has already been changed to lets say ,,nail down wood on a slab; you already have height issues. I have done a few of these, the least was $3800.00 the most was $12,900.00.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Builder View Post
If the floor covering on the 1st floor has already been changed to lets say ,,nail down wood on a slab; you already have height issues.
I'm excited that you pointed this out because it caused me to realize that we can do our stairs without causing an unsafe rise!

I always wanted to redo our entire stairs, not just the edges, but I was afraid of messing up the rise.

Since we have subsequently installed a hardwood wood floor on our first floor, we will ultimately be correcting the rise if we redo the stairs!

Awesome! Thanks for the 'light bulb' moment!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM

149 posts, read 535,843 times
We're in NC too. We just had ours changed from carpet to hardwood for about 4000. The wood under the carpet was torn out and replaced with oak, and the original handrail and spindles were reinstalled. Ours run along the wall with only one side with spindles. There is one small landing at the turn. We chose to make the risers oak, as opposed to painted (cheaper) wood. The staircase turned out beautifully. We're very happy with the end result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House