Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,185 times

Advertisements

I don't know how to use a Mac but have you tried any of those web sites that shrink photos for posting? I'm pretty sure they are set up to convert Mac stuff. I think Image Shack might be able to do it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Ok, here's goes:

1. hideous commercial grade tile with i/2 inch grout lines, notice the oh so not straight lines.....aaarrrrggghhhh

2. ah, after. 'Mocha" colored cork floors

3. during, panels being laid over tile and newly floated concrete sections (we removed an old fireplace hearth, long story....

This floor is soft, warm, easy to keep clean and has a nice bit of 'give' underfoot.
It blends almost seamlessly (colorwise) to our original hardwood floors in the dining room circa 1902.
Attached Thumbnails
YAY! Cork Flooring Going Over Bad Kitchen Tile!!!-oldfloor.jpg   YAY! Cork Flooring Going Over Bad Kitchen Tile!!!-newfloor.jpg   YAY! Cork Flooring Going Over Bad Kitchen Tile!!!-installnewfloor.jpg  

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,185 times
Wow, I can't believe that is cork. It looks more like wood. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pics.

I am wondering how you keep all the little indentations from getting dirt in them? Is it so soft that high heels might put a hole it in?

I have heard from some people with tile kitchens that they don't recommend it because it is so hard to stand on. For that reason, the cork seems like a much better way to go. But I wonder if the cork is TOO soft?

I've also heard that you have to polyurethane the cork floors every few years.

I find it odd that Home Depot is not even carrying the cork...at least they don't have it out with their main displays.

Please post your thoughts about this floor as you continue to get used to it. I'm seriously considering it but don't like the fact that so few people have talked about it!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Wow Bella, it beautiful!!! I'm very happy for you (especially after seeing just how hideous that original floor was!!)

I want to do our family room in cork, please do keep us updated on how the floor handles wear and tear and how easy it is to clean (especially kitchen spills)

Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
Wow, I can't believe that is cork. It looks more like wood. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pics.

I am wondering how you keep all the little indentations from getting dirt in them? Is it so soft that high heels might put a hole it in?

I have heard from some people with tile kitchens that they don't recommend it because it is so hard to stand on. For that reason, the cork seems like a much better way to go. But I wonder if the cork is TOO soft?

I've also heard that you have to polyurethane the cork floors every few years.

I find it odd that Home Depot is not even carrying the cork...at least they don't have it out with their main displays.

Please post your thoughts about this floor as you continue to get used to it. I'm seriously considering it but don't like the fact that so few people have talked about it!
Thanks! Well, so here's the deal so far. I think part of the issue for people, myself included before I viewed this product and spoke with the store owner about it...when people think of cork, they think of bulletin boards!
It is a wood floor afterall, just not hardwood.

My mom even said to me, "Oh well, when you finally redo the entire kitchen you can use the flooring in other rooms on the wall for notes and things, right?!" Mom, yes, I love you, but no, I did not just put bulletin boards all over my floor! These are slick and smooth and much more dense than bulletin boards.
My kids are digging the fact that they can spin and slide in socks all over the place.
The dog has learned quickly to not try to make sharp turns while running through the kitchen for fear of imitating a cartoon character!

The floating floor click type panels are just over a 1/2 inch thick!

as for the small "hole" looking things....they aren't as deep as they look in the pictures, it's hard to explain but so far so good.
Think of slicing a cellulose sponge, not all the holes are evenly spaced or of the same thickness....I suppose if I dumped a bunch of flour on my floor, it would be a task to clean, but no more of a task than trying to get it out of the damn grout lines on my stupid tile countertops!

It is soft warm and yes, a bit spongy. Which is soooo much better than that horrid tile.
I dropped a butter knife the other day and half expected it to be sticking straight up out of the floor! But it bounced instead!
As for walking in heels etc....I have done that and have left no marks. The flooring guys who installed it took great care in sliding the fridge back into place they said it has the same qualities as a vinyl or hardwood floor, if you drag a huge appliance over it, it will leave a mark.
With vinyl sheet flooring, you are stuck with that damage as it is part of a whole sheet and is glued down...Hardwood, you can eventually sand and refinish (provided it is a real hardwood floor not one of those engineered or laminate kinds). Tile, if it gets cracked or chunked you have to chisel out and repair it, knowing that the repair may look obvious, since it can be hard to get that grout color just right after the fact over time.

With this cork floor, since it is a floating panel, you could undo the quarter round moldings which hold it all down, remove and replace the panel and redo the trim again. Viola. Repaired floor. So it's not all that difficult or different really, just unfamiliar.

I wouldn't go to HD or Lowe's for flooring in the first place. If and when they do get cork flooring, I can guarantee that the quality will be worthless.
I went to a local flooring store which has been owned by the same family for 35 years.
The owner's brother had just installed it in their home office and they were all raving about it.
There were many other cork flooring choices, but they steered me towards this one as it was on sale for less than 4$ a square foot. And since it was the same product the family had used in their own home.
The other cork products are easily 6-8$....and this particular brand was on sale, but just this and one other color. at 3.49 a sq ft.

The flooring people never mentioned having to re-poly it, but I still have to pay them the final installment so, I'll ask then and get back to you all about that!

Many people have not been willing to make the leap to cork flooring yet....I remember talking with people about bamboo floors around 10 years ago, and regular flooring people looked at me like I had three heads! It takes time for things to catch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Wow Bella, it beautiful!!! I'm very happy for you (especially after seeing just how hideous that original floor was!!)

I want to do our family room in cork, please do keep us updated on how the floor handles wear and tear and how easy it is to clean (especially kitchen spills)

Thanks for sharing the pics!!
You're welcome!
Yes, when I said it was hideous I meant it! Plus I had been living with it for 6 years! blech blech blech! Glad that's over!!

It is easy to clean, I use just a damp mop with just touch of vinegar. I have wiped up spills easily too. Don't forget what a cork does....keeps the wine in the bottle right? Well, it doesn't suck up the spills like carpet since it has a smooth coating of poly (I think, I'm not even sure) I'll find out.

Cheers!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Many people have not been willing to make the leap to cork flooring yet....I remember talking with people about bamboo floors around 10 years ago, and regular flooring people looked at me like I had three heads! It takes time for things to catch on.
Everything old is new again.

I had original cork floors in a house from the '50s once and they were still in great condition. Unfortunately they did not have the range in style and colors "back in the day".

We were pleasantly surprised when we visited an high-end flooring show room last week and saw the new range of colors and patterns. Very very cool.

Funny you should mention bamboo. This fancy schmancy showroom had the cork and bamboo displayed in the same area. I was blown away by the color choices in both materials.

Still trying to decide on kitchen/mudroom flooring at our place. SO is a traditionalist and wants "stone" of some sort (slate or travertine). We'll see.

Just wanted to say congrats on the new floor, it looks FABulous! Thanks for posting the pics.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM

124 posts, read 528,375 times
Thanks for sharing these pics. Your new floor looks beautiful! I've been seriously considering cork for the kitchen, so I was glad to hear you love yours so much.

I think that cork for residential uses is still a "new" thing, so contractors and retailers are somewhat reluctant to recommend it. They're not sure yet about its "staying power," but I understand that manufacturers have made great strides in improving coatings, plus cork has been used for years in commercial flooring. It's also a bit on the expensive side, about $8 a SF vs. approx. $4 for many engineered wood floors. On top of all the advantages you mentioned, it's also considered "green;" naturally repellant to insects; stays "warm" vs. a cold tile floor; and it's easy to install for DIYers. Sounds like a floating floor is much more affordable than gluing, after the installation expense.

One of our local flooring companies has a great selection of cork tiles and planks, and I'm hoping that once I settle on a color and design I like, I can fine it (or something similar) online at a discount.

Please keep us posted on your cork floor. I hope you continue to love it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Luna.....Congrats on your new cork flooring. Looks like a job well done. Now, before you've used it for too long, you need to put two or three coats of acrylic finish on it to protect it and make it easy to keep clean. Check with your mfr's. instructions on which products to use. You should have easy access to this info. In fact. it may have been on the instructions that came in each box of cork planks. The acrylic will also fill those small "dimples" that were mentioned earlier.

Enjoy!
Streamer1212

Old 04-25-2010, 03:12 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
That is a beautiful floor. I had bamboo in my entire place and replaced it with cork. I love it. It's way more durable than bamboo and it looks almost like travertine marble. The bamboo was nice too but it damaged very easily. Cork is perfect for kitchens and high-traffic areas.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM

36 posts, read 75,475 times
bellalunatic,

Can you tell me the brand of flooring you used? I like that your cork isn't wildly patterned like most I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating