Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:06 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Our decor reflects a nature theme to highlight what we love about the property. I like palettes that blend with the surroundings. For our walls, we chose a shade of green that matches the tones we see when we look at the surrounding forest outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:40 PM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I despise grey and beige walls, it just looks dirty and depressing to me.
I don't find most of these dirty or depressing.

https://www.modsy.com/design-ideas/grey-walls

Some are light and airy,

https://i.pinimg.com/550x/94/58/a6/9...45d1349780.jpg

some are sophisticated and bold,

https://i0.wp.com/cocolapinedesign.c...24%2C683&ssl=1

but none look dirty.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:31 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
When I was renting one room in a townhome, my landlord wanted to repaint the room, so I chose this color. After I moved out and the townhome was sold, I noticed from the listing that they repainted the entire place coffee brown, except for my room, which they left the same paint. So I guess it was a good enough color for the real estate agent. I guess I chose a good color.

Now my apartment is all white. But I have received advanced notice from a new management company that I will have to vacate my apartment for about 1 week so they can renovate and "modernize" it. I hope that will mean some colors other then white.

Kelly Moore KM5291-1 Beach Towel Precisely Matched For Paint and Spray Paint

Old 03-06-2024, 05:37 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I am one who likes color. Each room in my home is a different color and in some rooms each wall is a different color. I only like white walls if your a minimalist. I like gray with white trim but 75% of the homes I walk in has this color. Beige is a no go for me. I understand everyone has a different wants and needs so what does not work for me does not mean it should not work for someone else. It drives me crazy when I walk in a house and there is not a speck of natural light. All window blinds/curtains are closed. No view of the front or rear yard. I have a friend who has blackout window coverings on all of her windows. At night you literally can't see the your hands in front of your face. I personally can't see how anyone can live in a cave but then again different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:17 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right.
Most people aren't too adventurous when comes to their house interiors. Their priority is resale value, not what they actually want. That's why you see mostly generic and bland colors, appliances and furniture. Similar to whatever their friends and neighbors have. Individualism is seldom expressed. Mostly only in small details.

sad but true.

i think decorating shows are seen as what should be not as inspiration of what could be.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:17 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I am one who likes color. Each room in my home is a different color and in some rooms each wall is a different color. I only like white walls if your a minimalist. I like gray with white trim but 75% of the homes I walk in has this color. Beige is a no go for me. I understand everyone has a different wants and needs so what does not work for me does not mean it should not work for someone else. It drives me crazy when I walk in a house and there is not a speck of natural light. All window blinds/curtains are closed. No view of the front or rear yard. I have a friend who has blackout window coverings on all of her windows. At night you literally can't see the your hands in front of your face. I personally can't see how anyone can live in a cave but then again different strokes for different folks.
I don't like closed up homes either. I don't even use window coverings on the large windows that face the woods in the back.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:28 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
I don't find most of these dirty or depressing.

https://www.modsy.com/design-ideas/grey-walls

Some are light and airy,

https://i.pinimg.com/550x/94/58/a6/9...45d1349780.jpg

some are sophisticated and bold,

https://i0.wp.com/cocolapinedesign.c...24%2C683&ssl=1

but none look dirty.
Some of the grey tones with the bright white trim, white furniture and big windows are nice.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:39 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This was a helpful link for me and came at a perfect time!

We are slowly moving into our newly purchased home. We are taking the valuable things ourselves, due to some negative experiences that we had in the past.

Anyway, today we took artwork. Paintings, prints and art glass. I was excited to see how my collection looked. However, the awful neutral beige walls were dingy and depressing. This beige, the neutral that preceded grey, was so bad that it reminded me of why grey looked so fresh 15 years ago.

I am not a fan of the color blocking, but I am wondering if a darker color could be a neutral that could work.

When I think "neutral" I usually think of a lighter color.

Does anyone have any suggestions for kitchens with medium, warm, real wood cabinets with light oatmeal colored granite countertops and an exposed brick wall?

Right now it's a goldish light beige that does nothing for anything. I am NOT interested in white cabinets or taking a sledgehammer to the kitchen cabs - because they are nice, natural, classic and functional. It's just the wall color.

I was also thinking of a very dilute Spoonflower wallpaper pattern with a Scandinavian or midcentury modern flair.

My everyday dishes are bright Fiesta ware. So color scares me a little.

There was a medium green that was dusky-ish that attracted me. I just do not want dark and gloomy.
I'd be replacing the "oatmeal" granite, first. No question. Get something light and neutral, then you can decide on a wall color.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't like closed up homes either. I don't even use window coverings on the large windows that face the woods in the back.
I got tired of cleaning mini blinds and decided to use decorative window film on some smaller windows. My apartment is 100 years old and the smaller, multipane windows look great with etched glass window film. Some people assume that's what it is and exclaim old buildings have great architectural features.

The windows face a walkway and driveway so there is no privacy and no view so the film lets in light but I have privacy. Easy to apply if you buy the static cling type so no adhesive is used.

This company is a bit more expensive than big box stores or amazon but has more variety and they rate the privacy factor.

https://www.decorativefilm.com/

These are their cut glass options
https://www.decorativefilm.com/cut-glass-9387

The film is also an option for glass shower doors if you are sick of cleaning the spots all the time.

Old 03-06-2024, 04:56 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Interesting ideas if you like color.

https://www.paintandpaperlibrary.com...4IUZXR,4EBNA,1
Thanks I never cared for the cold ok on white and gray god knows why these trends get inked and Last so long. Heard there was a committee in nyc or la making these decisions for us lol sounds right to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating