Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 11:51 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Haha, I don't mean orange paint and olive green refrigerators lol. I mean the wooden timber look and Tiffany lamps and that sort of thing.
Both of my sisters had that ‘Princess’ style of white furniture. French provincial wannabe stuff. I had dark stained pine. Smack in the mid to late 70’s.

And yes we had harvest gold everything and green shag carpeting. The horror!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 12:57 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,666,238 times
I always thought that apartment was more Boho Chic. Lots of different patterns, some bold colors (orange), textures and earthiness mixed with vintage.

Plants were also big in the 70s along with macrame plant hangers interspersed with beads. I made a bunch of them for gifts. Evidently those are coming back in style!

Old 02-03-2024, 06:40 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
The emphasis on wood, floral patterns, chintz/heavy pattern, faux gas table lamp, saloon chandeliers.....It was called Country Chic.

It paired well with the 'old west' themes throughout pop culture at the time - see popular tv shows like Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons.

Design styles oftentimes swing from one end of the pendulum to the other. This style was intended to be cozy and homey and comforting. The exact opposite of the 'mod' sixties styles that preceeded it. And the Mod Sixties were all about striking out and rejecting the 50s styles which emphasized family, rigid social structures, and stability (which was what people craved after the 40s, which was a time of war, rations, fear, and uncertainty).

Old 03-01-2024, 10:11 AM

404 posts, read 433,658 times
Thanks everyone. I love the look. I hope it makes a comeback.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:48 PM

63 posts, read 14,662 times
Wasn't that" NeoClassic in black and white

Old Today, 06:03 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Victoriana was just an extension of Bo Ho chic in the 70s - bent wood rockers, "Tifanny" lamps, wicker furniture especially those high-backed wicker chairs, spider plants, ferns, dark wood paneling, mirrors with writing on them ornate thrifted furniture that was probably just mass produced in the 1930s. They continues to sell ornate furniture well after the Victorian period, swag lamps etc.

A lot of people's homes looked like a Steak and Brew, or some chain steak house with all the beer, wine and cola you can drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating