Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 07:10 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting. I've never thought of putting a bed in the middle of the room, and when I googled it, all the pictures were of impossibly impractical set ups. The pictures had nothing you need in a bedroom - a dresser, a night stand with a lamp and electrical chord, etc.

The concept is interesting, but similar to tiny houses, it seems impractical, or anyway the pictures look much nicer than the reality of living in that situation would be.
Here's an example.

https://cdn.apartmenttherapy.info/im...27d4061b52e377
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 07:20 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
My bedroom isn't big enough to float the bed, so it's against the west wall, the only wall without windows and doors. That wall is a good fit for a queen, but a bit too narrow for our king.

I grew up in California, so I can't put the bed under a window, just in case there's an earthquake. Even though this isn't earthquake country, just can't do it. Otherwise, I'd put the bed on the north wall. It would fit better, and not block the door.

Blackout curtains foil the rising sun.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting. I've never thought of putting a bed in the middle of the room, and when I googled it, all the pictures were of impossibly impractical set ups. The pictures had nothing you need in a bedroom - a dresser, a night stand with a lamp and electrical chord, etc.

The concept is interesting, but similar to tiny houses, it seems impractical, or anyway the pictures look much nicer than the reality of living in that situation would be.
With me, I guess it is just the way it worked out.....and worked out pretty nicely.

A wall of windows on one side......and built in book shelves on the other, so it wasn't going there. The alcove at one end between secret passages with my Grand Aunt's Secretary Desk and the TV....and the wall of dressers at the other. So essentially, Fate decided my bed should be in the middle, floating or "Sleeping Beauty" style.

As said, it has worked out rather nicely. Reading Jaws on the bed, the way the sun shined in thru the windows, it did feel like I was at a beach town, like a Edward Hopper painting. My walls are covered with my fantasy art work, camphor and other wooden chests against the windows, and of course, my stuffed animals and talismans.

It wasn't planned, do we ever make our house plans perfect, but it has turned out nicely.

Different approach. My Parents bedroom was much bigger than mine but still, the head of the bed up against one wall. Does a bedroom made for a couple have any influence on this style? I would say yes, if from one reading and one rolled over to sleep to "activities" to......

........symbolism of "My Lover, Myself. Here I am and I cannot retreat."? Just theorizing.....mind you.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:44 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
We have a weird shaped bedroom. 10 x 17 ish. I've been in homes where the bedroom is bigger than half the first floor of my house.
There was only one place our king bed could go and that was on the west wall between two windows. Couldn't have a headboard because the window frames cut into the outside edge of the bed. Well, we probably could have but the wall is the headboard, basically. Nightstands are under the window.
An Ayurvedic practitioner once told me 'west is best' when I asked about bed placement. West for the head of the bed.
To each their own.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:24 PM

356 posts, read 370,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I was helping a friend move last weekend and she asked me where to put the bed, this wall or that wall. My suggestions oriented along safety, of putting it in line with fire escapes as oppose to perpendicular.

BUT, that question was sort of out of my league in that I place my bed in the middle of the room, away from the walls, so it is possible to walk around on all sides. I call it "Sleeping Beauty' style BUT......

.......is there a proper term for that style? So when I describe it, people know what I am talking about or can at least look it up on the net?

Secondly, why are we so oriented to placing it against the wall? Generations of tradition? That we do so much, like reading, with the headboard? Good salesmanship?
Do you have a lamp or phone charger on your nightstand? Where do they plug in? Sounds like a tripping hazzard….

Old 01-17-2024, 08:44 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
This probably will sound silly, but after many tries I concluded that I sleep the best when my head face south.
I will notice the difference as soon, I change direction.
I also like my bed against a wall - somehow it makes me feel, subconsciously, safer. Far from a door and windows.
Luckily, I have big window across the bed, on the south wall, and pretty view when I wake up.
Positioning of the bed depends on the size and proportions of the bedroom, though. So, such option is not always possible.

My twin corner bed is designed to be put in the corner. I like to have a bed with a headboard and one long side upholstered and tufted., so I don't touch the wall, directly.
In other bedroom a queen bed is placed against and in the middle of a main wall. Its a platform bed with just upholstered headboard.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:41 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This probably will sound silly, but after many tries I concluded that I sleep the best when my head face south.
I will notice the difference as soon, I change direction.
I also like my bed against a wall - somehow it makes me feel, subconsciously, safer. Far from a door and windows.
Luckily, I have big window across the bed, on the south wall, and pretty view when I wake up.
Positioning of the bed depends on the size and proportions of the bedroom, though. So, such option is not always possible.

My twin corner bed is designed to be put in the corner. I like to have a bed with a headboard and one long side upholstered and tufted., so I don't touch the wall, directly.
In other bedroom a queen bed is placed against and in the middle of a main wall. Its a platform bed with just upholstered headboard.

In most cases the beds location is almost always dictated by the rooms location of doors, windows, outlets and most of all, wall space.

Sadly, I can only put my bed in once spot and because of next apartment noises, I'd really like my bed on the opposite wall. I really wish my wall to wall closet was ON the wall that separated my apartment from the apartment next door to mine, but it isn't and because the room is more rectangle, it (the wall to wall closet) can't be done.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:14 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

In most cases the beds location is almost always dictated by the rooms location of doors, windows, outlets and most of all, wall space.

Sadly, I can only put my bed in once spot and because of next apartment noises, I'd really like my bed on the opposite wall. I really wish my wall to wall closet was ON the wall that separated my apartment from the apartment next door to mine, but it isn't and because the room is more rectangle, it (the wall to wall closet) can't be done.

Because those in planning department don't think creative. A closet on the wall that separates apartments would make a lot of sense. But no, what they like to do is to place bathroom behind that wall. Not to mention, that according to my observation, the noisy A/C condenser units are usually placed outside the bedroom wall...

Old 01-24-2024, 04:15 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Because those in planning department don't think creative. A closet on the wall that separates apartments would make a lot of sense. But no, what they like to do is to place bathroom behind that wall. Not to mention, that according to my observation, the noisy A/C condenser units are usually placed outside the bedroom wall...

True. When I was house hunting I looked at one place where the furnace was in the bedroom wall, accessed by a little vented door. I can't imagine sleeping with that racket all night lol.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:33 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
True. When I was house hunting I looked at one place where the furnace was in the bedroom wall, accessed by a little vented door. I can't imagine sleeping with that racket all night lol.

OMG, yeas, I agree with you, that would put me over the edge, id really have to move.

In my sisters back yard, where her pation is, the A/C is right next to it, and while your sitting there al you do is hear the motor runing, and sadly, because it is a townhouse there isnt really another place to put it, although, I would have of had it place at the far back of the yard, but then the wires would have to be underground, but Id still have that done.

I make her **** the a/c while we are there as it truly is annoying, I couldnt imagine a furnace next to the bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating