Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 05:17 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Need advice on soft gray color for my bathroom, mostly white otherwise... House was built in 1938, so I am keeping a flavor of the era with an up to date feel... It has to be Benjamin Moore. Thanks!
I am not good with color. I would not hesitate to get a professional consultant.
If your local paint store doesn't offer consultation, Benjamin Moore offers an online consultant service:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...r-consultation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 06:09 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I'm not a fan of gray and I also think it's been overdone but BM has a lovely shade of gray called Misty Gray. It's very neutral and looks lovely with contrasting white. It doesn't have a gray "feel" to it, if that makes any sense

Old 12-16-2023, 07:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just remember to add mildewcide to whatever color you use.
Thanks, that's the first time I am hearing about that. I googled it and it says to use it in homes that may stay vacant for part of the year. In that case should we use it, still?

Old 12-17-2023, 06:13 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
The "gray brigade," keeping life boring.
Tell us about it.

First, it was all the new cars, now it's HGTV shows.

Gray gets old fast. Best use of gray, is as a primer....

Old 12-17-2023, 07:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Funny, I've been slowly painting every wall anything but gray. Haven't done any bathrooms, yet. Small, yet cluttered rooms. Light is probably the most important factor.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm not a fan of gray and I also think it's been overdone but BM has a lovely shade of gray called Misty Gray. It's very neutral and looks lovely with contrasting white. It doesn't have a gray "feel" to it, if that makes any sense
Thank you, I love it!! Either than or Bunny Gray.

Since you are not a fan of gray, what other wall color would you consider?

Old 12-17-2023, 08:00 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Get sample sizes of your favorite paint colors, and paint sheets of cardboard (not directly on the wall!)

Evaluate the colors under the various lighting options in the room. Some colors might be nicer in the morning light, others look great in artificial light. Go with one that looks good when you'll most likely be using the room.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:13 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Funny, I've been slowly painting every wall anything but gray. Haven't done any bathrooms, yet. Small, yet cluttered rooms. Light is probably the most important factor.
Our house was complete gray interior when we bought it and we have done same as you, repainting into a variety of colors. It can look great as to set off bright colors, but the gray on gray on gray design style of the 2000s was just as bad as the white on white on white of the 80s and 90s.

For the OP, you've gotten some good suggestions to paint several shades on large pieces of cardboard and tape them up and be sure to look at them under all light conditions. What looks great in daytime can look blek! at night and vice versa. I don't know about Benjamin Moore, but Sherwin Williams now offers (on their website) large size color swatches premade. Could be cheaper than buying several sample cans to try out.

For myself, I let the house and its location tell me what colors it wants to be. Always been more successful that way than trying to force my colors on a house. You mention your house was built in the late 30s but didn't mention the style. Some color palates fit some styles better than others.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:21 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our house was complete gray interior when we bought it and we have done same as you, repainting into a variety of colors. It can look great as to set off bright colors, but the gray on gray on gray design style of the 2000s was just as bad as the white on white on white of the 80s and 90s.

For the OP, you've gotten some good suggestions to paint several shades on large pieces of cardboard and tape them up and be sure to look at them under all light conditions. What looks great in daytime can look blek! at night and vice versa. I don't know about Benjamin Moore, but Sherwin Williams now offers (on their website) large size color swatches premade. Could be cheaper than buying several sample cans to try out.

For myself, I let the house and its location tell me what colors it wants to be. Always been more successful that way than trying to force my colors on a house. You mention your house was built in the late 30s but didn't mention the style. Some color palates fit some styles better than others.
This is true.

I have a lovely yellow in our living room. Sunshine or dark of night it's very uplifting. Gray days it's muted but still nice. But a purple dark thunderstorm cloud rolls in and that yellow takes a greenish undertone that's awful. Fortunately that's rare and short lived.

Light matters.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:32 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP....a very pale yellow with white trim is vintage, cheerful and neutral enough for pretty much anyone without having to buy into the boring everything gray/white theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating