Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 10:03 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times

Advertisements

Just to chime in a bit about the marble. We have marble in three areas in our bath room; a “feature” framed mosaic on the shower wall, the niche, and the floor. It’s beautiful and feels great on the feet. I seal it every year which takes about ten minutes with a spray bottle and rag. Looks brand new.

The rest of the room is tiled in porcelain, and that looks great too. This bathroom is for guests so it doesn’t get a lot of use. I do agree with folks above that marble can be problematic in high use areas, such as a counter or vanity top.

For our main bath we will likely just install porcelain tiles. The vanity will likely be topped with quartz, but I like soapstone a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 08:38 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Bathroom vanity in our primary bathroom has sintered stone on the top.

Looks good. Doesn't stain. Curling irons don't burn it.

I just love it.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:53 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, no marble tops, no matter how "great" is the sealant. (needs to be re-sealed regularly)
It's a porous surface that sucks in any moisture. Color stains are impossible (or very costly) to remove. Totally impractical top surface for kitchen and bathroom. Same with floors.
FYI: sealer does not prevent marble from absorbing liquids. It simply slows the process giving you a little more time to clean up spills.

Marble is calcium carbonate, it reacts with an acidic liquid like makeup chemicals that can dissolve particles of the stone. That's another problem.

Marble is pretty soft and chips easily too.

Sooooo... what did you order??
Dear all,

Thanks for your help. I did order Wyndham Collection with white quartz countertop. Now that I read all your comments, I am glad I did that... I will use white stone subway tiles for the walls, so I thought stone + marble would be too much, so I went with quartz. I am happy with my purchase, and I am looking forward to receiving my bathroom vanity.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:15 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
We found a nice vanity cabinet at a local Home Depot. Can't remember the manufacturers name but it's all wood construction, joints doweled together, and a light gray granite countertop. The sink is a ceramic rectangular under counter mount on top of one door and three nice deep drawers. We lucked out and it was in stock so we bought it and had the tradesmen renovating the bathroom do the installation.

Sometimes you can find a good product there, the inventory changes every so often.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:44 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I bought a beautiful vintage dresser to convert.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:24 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My mom had a vanity purchased through Home Depot and it was quality - all wood construction, no particle anything.

Wayfair sells stuff for all budgets...you'll find high end (and will pay accordingly) and you'll find Chinese made garbage too.

Moreover, if you treat your furniture with care, even something "low end" will last a long while. Just sayin'...

Old 12-11-2023, 09:21 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
CostCo has double vanities. Sometimes, they're "on ad" too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating