Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 08:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT PUT EITHER A SHELF OR A NICHE ON THE WALL OPPOSITE OF THE OPENING. I mean, do you really, really want to look at products lined up? Please consider another location!
We redid master bath and just have shower—have big niche on the knee wall beside the shower door—
It is tall and long—can hold shampoo soap bottles w/o problem—
And you can’t SEE the messiness
It has to be built right to slope just little so water does not stand on shelf
And use good quality grout—
Plus it was really waterproofed with liquid membrane so over time if grout fails water won’t permeate cement board

Redid front guest bath and had two niches (and they show—can’t help it because it is shower/tub combo but the guy did two niches parallel about 4 feet apart
That way our grandson when younger could use bottom niche for his toys and you can put foot in it to shave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 05:25 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
When people offer public shower tours, do they sell tickets?
Maybe the thing to do is have a Safe Place for products to be placed during public tours?

Old 11-15-2023, 10:00 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaquish View Post
when people offer public shower tours, do they sell tickets?
Maybe the thing to do is have a safe place for products to be placed during public tours?
roflmfao!!!

Old 11-16-2023, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 234 times
Default Do you prefer built in shelf(ves) or niche for shower?

The choice between built-in shelves or a niche for a shower often depends on personal preferences, aesthetics, and functionality:

Built-in Shelves:

Pros: Built-in shelves offer more versatility in terms of storage options. They can accommodate various sizes of shower products and can be customized to fit specific needs.
Cons: They might require more maintenance as they can accumulate soap scum and water residue. Also, they might protrude into the shower space, potentially affecting movement.
Shower Niche:

Pros: A shower niche provides a sleek, streamlined appearance and can be seamlessly integrated into the wall, offering a clean and modern look. It eliminates protrusions and potential obstructions in the shower area.
Cons: Niche sizes are often fixed, limiting the storage capacity. It might not accommodate larger or taller bottles or multiple shower products as effectively as built-in shelves.
Ultimately, the choice depends on your preferences for aesthetics, functionality, and the amount of storage you need. Some people prefer the convenience of shelves despite the visual impact, while others prioritize a sleeker appearance with a niche. It might also depend on the overall design and style of your bathroom.

Hope this helps

Old 11-16-2023, 10:24 AM

Some tile people use a standard Kerdi niche form and tile around it vs building one with cement board and waterproofing
Depends on how good the tile guy is but something like a tile shelf just looks cheap to me
I would rather use a stand if you can’t get a niche
But as most everyone agrees personal preference and cost are likely drivers of choice

Old 11-16-2023, 11:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some tile people use a standard Kerdi niche form and tile around it vs building one with cement board and waterproofing
Depends on how good the tile guy is but something like a tile shelf just looks cheap to me
I would rather use a stand if you can’t get a niche
But as most everyone agrees personal preference and cost are likely drivers of choice

Yeah, my tile guy gave me a sheet to select configurations and then he bought the ones I wanted. They tiled it perfectly and it is all perfectly level set with the rest of the tile. Really nice.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, my tile guy gave me a sheet to select configurations and then he bought the ones I wanted. They tiled it perfectly and it is all perfectly level set with the rest of the tile. Really nice.
Kerdi makes lot of money selling items like that and items like metal stripping to finish off outside line of tile—
Looks very posh
And their niche boxes are helpful for tile guys—

Old 11-16-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Kerdi makes lot of money selling items like that and items like metal stripping to finish off outside line of tile—
Looks very posh
And their niche boxes are helpful for tile guys—
Glad I did all that circa 2012ish... I cringe to imagine the price of doing what I did then now. Nope. I will only replace things like the roof, a/c, furnace, water heater. I may have some electrical work done or redo some outdoor concrete work. Not doing much inside (I may replace sinks eventually).

Old 11-16-2023, 12:46 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,044,272 times
I have one of those tile built in benches, that is where I keep shampoos ect. I am tired of moving them around when I squeegee the bench and walls. I should look for a basket to put the bottles in. I do have 5 bottles, it`s a pain....DH and I use different products.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I have one of those tile built in benches, that is where I keep shampoos ect. I am tired of moving them around when I squeegee the bench and walls. I should look for a basket to put the bottles in. I do have 5 bottles, it`s a pain....DH and I use different products.
I have a built in bench and the niches are above the bench. I keep my squeegee on my bench. Bottles are in the niches. Luckily my contractor brought the idea of niches to me because I had not thought of it. The bench has come in handy when I have broken body parts. I was able to prop the hand shower onto my horizonal fancy grab bar and get a shower where I might not have with my broken arm. Years later I was glad to have the bench with a broken kneecap. Of course I knew to do that because after all the original accident was the worst. My grab bar is not slanted and looks like a very fancy towel bar (I keep spa like body scrub brushes on it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating