Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Same brand and model, same finish 7 38.89%
Same brand, same finish family, different models 2 11.11%
Same brand and model, different finishes 0 0%
Different brands and models, same finish family 6 33.33%
Different brands, models, and finishes 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 02:06 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,979,751 times

Advertisements

We have two bathrooms in the house and one by the pool with a toilet and shower (no bathtub.) It's attached to the house but entered from the pool area. The two inside the house both have the same finishes and the same brand but the one by the pool is completely different.

They were all put in by the prior owner but if I were to change them out I would keep the finishes the same within each room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 05:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
We are redoing all of our bathrooms due to a major fire. All the fixtures will be brushed nickel except the master bath. That will be chrome because we we are using a walk in tub that comes with a chrome faucet.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:56 AM

61,859 posts, read 87,314,674 times
This poll is missing: I don't care

Debating ...faucets, seriously??

Last edited by elnina; 10-22-2023 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-22-2023, 10:43 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

and - never gave it a thought
and - doesn't make a difference in my life
and - don't care

For the record and I have zero interest or less than zero interest in faucets...
I go by what I like.

I had replaced a brass faucet in my bathroom to bronze, and it was terrible. It was Kingston Brass, which I had never heard off...gee, wonder why??????
It was a piece of garbage, the bronze finish wore off so very fast, I think in less than a year.
The drain thing turned brass, and the handles themselves all the bronze color wore off also.
The brass faucets that I had replaced were in better condition.

The next faucet I bought, so far has held up except for the tub drain cover, that has also wore off, so I am just living with that. If my bathroom wasn't so visable in the apartment, I'd get chrome, nickel or something else, but since my apartment is not that large, I thought everything should be bronze. Door knobs, faucets, handles in the kitchen....

Old 10-23-2023, 08:17 AM

4,571 posts, read 2,710,885 times
Water tight, please! No drips!

Also, no ”bronze/brass/antiqued” finishes. They're all brass underneath and the finish WILL wear off, pit, corrode, etc, and require refinishing. Chrome or nickel plate only for me. Yes, they will eventually pit too, but it's on a time scale of decades not months.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:27 AM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:

I agree. Heck, I still have the original dual chrome fixtures in my main bathtub which apparently isn't safe for an old gal like me. As long as I have the faculties to test the hot and cold faucet temps before using the shower head I'll keep them.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:44 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
As long as the water comes out the way it's supposed to, I could care less about what the faucets look like. I have yet to have a single person who has visited us come running up and say, "Hey, did you know your faucets in your upstairs bathroom don't match your downstairs bathroom?" What a shame!!

Old 10-23-2023, 09:08 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,012,843 times
Quote:

99% of this member's posts are about plumbing fixtures.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:13 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,332,948 times
I want them to work well, but aesthetics ARE part of the function as I can see them, so I want them to look good at the same time. But they don't have to match each other, just the particular room they are in. For example, the downstairs half bath off the mudroom is getting a new vanity with the same doors and hardware that the kitchen got (since they are all off each other). So even though the wall color will be different, the style and look will flow and be complimentary. The faucet in there will match the hardware. In the upstairs guest bathroom, the new paint and vanity will be different than the downstairs half bath, so the faucet will be different as well. None will be the most expensive ones out there, but neither will they be the cheap builder grade stuff. And while some people don't care, I do spend a lot of time going over choices to find just the right blend. Just like I did for the hardware in the kitchen. The wrong hardware can make nice cabinets feel cheap, while the right hardware can elevate even cheaper cabinets to a much more elegant look. I find faucets to be similar.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:01 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
...but aesthetics ARE part of the function...

Not so fast!

"work well" is purely "function". Aesthetics is just a sensory design that makes "function" usable.

A garden hose "functions" well as a shower or faucet- the color of the hose makes it aesthetically pleasing/usable(?).

begs the question(s)- is it "form over function?" or "function over form?"... the garden hose, that is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating