Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 02:26 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,968,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
And consider clearance for drawers & cabinet doors to open. I rented an apartment once where the range stuck out from the counter depth a bit, making it impossible to open an opposing drawer all the way. Poor planning!
Yep! My previous house had a very generously sized kitchen but that didn't guarantee it was well designed. The drawer that happened to be most handy for storing stove utensils couldn't be opened more than half way because no one checked the clearance with the oven door. There was also a corner in the cabinetry that effectively eliminated another drawer. Lovely large pantry cabinet ended up being a deep dark mysterious cave because the cabinet door couldn't be opened fully to let in light. It wouldn't clear the edge of the fridge. Couldn't find anything in that pantry without a flashlight. I don't know if the previous owners who remodeled it hired a designer or DIYed. Either way, their decision-making was DUMB!

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-07-2023 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 02:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire a kitchen designer.
This. It’ll avoid costly mistakes. There are designers who will work on a fixed amount or hourly rate. You should be able to find one in budget.

Old 10-07-2023, 02:54 PM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

You will make some compromises but can make a workable tight kitchen.
1. 24" wide refrigerator.
2. 24" wide stove.
3. 24" wide single bowl sink.
All are readily available. Unfortunately you won't save a lot of money because they are not the most standard items, but you can easily obtain them.
I wish you included the full room layout, so as to include what is on the right of the bay window and left of the refrigerator you have drawn. What true physical limits are there to the room layout?

The sink cabinet may benefit from being the larger base cabinet in that corner, with a narrow cabinet to the right of the stove. Maybe a 12" base, maybe 9".

You want a left hinge refrigerator, and you want to be sure the door swing will not bind on the wall to the left, so you can open the door the full 90 degrees or more.
Ideally, the stove might be on the left and the refrigerator on the wall between the stove and the sink. Neither is ideal in terms of the desired triangle flow, but at least the center fridge will let you pull produce, etc, directly to the sink for prep.

Is the wall to the left as you have drawn the refrigerator actually there, and is it long enough you could swing the refrigerator or stove onto that wall, rather than being in a straight line?
If turning an appliance onto that wall, even being tight to the counter on the right and taking up 24" of that left wall would gain you some flexibility.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:17 PM

14,548 posts, read 12,185,505 times
I am attaching pictures of the tiny kitchen in our rental:

Left to right lowers:
18 inch dishwasher
30 inch sink base
30 inch cabinet base
20 inch range

100 inches - 8.3 feet.

Uppers
We did one upper 18 inch
One upper 30 inch.
20 inch vent hood

shelf above for small microwave.

This is a cute and workable kitchen for an apartment.

Now, we had an opposing wall where we were able to fit a full size fridge and a tall pantry cabinet.

If you could skip the dishwasher and find a 24-30 inch wide fridge you might be able to do something like ours on just one wall with a fridge.

All our cabinets and appliances were ordered from Home Depot. I can get you links if you need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a tiny kitchen (9')-311717766_6045025092176722_2215507540633655117_n.jpg   Designing a tiny kitchen (9')-313251840_6045015248844373_6141204936995964721_n.jpg  

Old 10-07-2023, 05:27 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,046,424 times
^^Very cute! That's my kind of kitchen. As a singleton, I'd omit the dishwasher and put another cabinet in that space. Is there space in the center of the room to put a working-height table? (Like a portable island). Might be nice for an additional work surface with bigger meals, canning, etc.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^Very cute! That's my kind of kitchen. As a singleton, I'd omit the dishwasher and put another cabinet in that space. Is there space in the center of the room to put a working-height table? (Like a portable island). Might be nice for an additional work surface with bigger meals, canning, etc.

Kindof... there's big window on the wall to the right of the stove, and I think the tenants put a small drop-leaf table there with two chairs. That could be moved to the middle for projects, but you probably wouldn't want it there all the time.

It's not in the way of traffic against the wall though.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:45 PM

Now looking at your layout, I do NOT think you're gaining anything with the L shaped layout, because you'll be LOSING most of the base cabinet storage. I would lay it out like ours, but with the fridge on the left, the stove at the right hand side, and the sink in the middle.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:46 PM

8,428 posts, read 7,438,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I am attaching pictures of the tiny kitchen in our rental
Is that a bathroom off the kitchen, just past the refrigerator?

Old 10-07-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Is that a bathroom off the kitchen, just past the refrigerator?

Yes. It's a tiny apartment - Kitchen, bath with shower, bedroom, living room.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-07-2023 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-07-2023, 09:35 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,209,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I need to build a kitchen at a spot only 9' long. I can have the counter extended 2' at one end to make a little "L" shape. The sink ideally should be along the window because that's where the pipes are now. The rest of the kitchen components can be moved around.

With such limiting factors, everything really needs to be perfect. I came up with the attached design and hope for comments. Any issue with any part? Any change to make it better? (adjust counter sizes, switching locations, etc)

Attachment 246312
Check side clearance requirement of your range manufacture - fire safety.
You could be short an inch or so on space there.

Check the clearance for fridge with the manufacture too: that cabinet above could impede the air circulation - check the manuals before committing to that wall cabinet.

Do you have any space in front of that kitchen wall? Could you place a small island with the sink there? Or a cooktop?

You have an unusable dead corner with your 36” base cabinet you are planning if you go with an L-shape position of the sink.
Doubt you could find or even make a functional cabinet in that case: seems like a waste, but you do have a counter space to work.

The Lshape isn’t practical in your layout unless you place the sink diagonally in the corner cabinet and extend the counter under the bay window with base cabinets - so you won’t lose storage and a counter space.

Still would be nice to place a small square table in the middle in lieu of the island - otherwise a counter in front of a bay window as in my suggestion - would be your work area?
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a tiny kitchen (9')-img_7270.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 10-07-2023 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating