Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 04:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Things that make you go, hmmm?

realtor pictures, when you go the see the Real Thing.

"Where did they take THAT picture?"

UnReality TV? Don't know, as I haven't had, or needed a TV to babysit me since 1968. Too many things to do around the house. I do enjoy designing and building our own homes, so I do that rather than watch TV.

With the current tax gift of $500k tax free gains every 24 months on flipping primary residence.... who has time for TV, or a j-o-b? Who needs either? An ex-coworker finally figured that out after 9 new home builds. My mom did (8) executive flip homes AFTER she retired. I can assure you that she has never sat through an UnReality TV program. It's Hollywood, it's lame. Nothing but fluff and arguments, and demeaning common sense and respect of otherwise capable and intelligent (thinking) people.

It's Hollywood. Too bad that defines America's Thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 12:08 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol... I personally know SEVERAL people who have remodeled and kept their kitchen up to highest standards with all the "most talked about" gadgets you can find on the market.
None of it was ever used. They don't cook at home. Ever. Don't know how, not interested to learn.
The kitchen it's just for show, when family and friends come over to visit. They live in their house 20+ years now.
Same with other things. They have the "must have, most trendy" stuff but never use it.

I don't watch those TV shows. They are staged, scripted and paid for advertisements. Fake and "influential". It's entertainment.
If l actually want to learn something, then I look for tutorials on YouTube.
Those are the “Open kitchen” people. If you ever cook in it, it’s never messy.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:10 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Things that make you go, hmmm?

realtor pictures, when you go the see the Real Thing.

"Where did they take THAT picture?"

UnReality TV? Don't know, as I haven't had, or needed a TV to babysit me since 1968. Too many things to do around the house. I do enjoy designing and building our own homes, so I do that rather than watch TV.

With the current tax gift of $500k tax free gains every 24 months on flipping primary residence.... who has time for TV, or a j-o-b? Who needs either? An ex-coworker finally figured that out after 9 new home builds. My mom did (8) executive flip homes AFTER she retired. I can assure you that she has never sat through an UnReality TV program. It's Hollywood, it's lame. Nothing but fluff and arguments, and demeaning common sense and respect of otherwise capable and intelligent (thinking) people.

It's Hollywood. Too bad that defines America's Thinking
Realtor pictures, used to be a fun thread on C-D.

For the love of God, put the toilet seat down before you take the picture.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:17 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol... I personally know SEVERAL people who have remodeled and kept their kitchen up to highest standards with all the "most talked about" gadgets you can find on the market.
None of it was ever used. They don't cook at home. Ever. Don't know how, not interested to learn.
The kitchen it's just for show, when family and friends come over to visit. They live in their house 20+ years now.
Same with other things. They have the "must have, most trendy" stuff but never use it.

I don't watch those TV shows. They are staged, scripted and paid for advertisements. Fake and "influential". It's entertainment.
If l actually want to learn something, then I look for tutorials on YouTube.
Always makes me laugh to think that people have become so obsessed/desperate over bragging rights/surpassing the Joneses that utilitarian machines like washers and dryers have become status symbols! I've watched House Hunters off and on for years, but it isn't something I expect to learn anything from. It is entertaining to get the chance to snoop virtually through total strangers' houses and voice unsolicited opinions about their taste. I don't even need to go peek through their windows. I get to do it in PJs from the comfort of my couch!

Old 09-22-2023, 01:13 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
People watching these show don't realize that there are options to the high-end, trendy appliances, floor and wall tiles, and anything that is replaced/remodeled. Shows today are geared to the young and trendy (anf gullible), not to the older folks who can get by with a basic appliance, one without all the "bells and whistles" that are touted and go unused because they are not necessary.

Go into a big box store and you will see all the huge, over-loaded refrigerators, washers and dryers, and the like prominently displayed. And they ALL have the over loaded price sticker on them as well. I am savvy enough to know I can still get a basic washer and dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, and the like but one has to ask about it.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:48 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
2.Why do The Property Brothers wear clothes that are one size too small?
Made me laugh haha.

I agree with poster who said these shows are geared mainly to sell things
Since women are watching them of course the bros need to wear tight clothes haha.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:09 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO many of these shows aren't really about actually remodeling some house. They're veiled advertisements for manufacturers of building products and appliances. Sow dissatisfaction in viewers who have functional homes so they feel compelled to buy new stuff they don't really need. If some range manufacturer is paying them to showcase their product, voila, a range gets ripped out and the manufacturer's brand installed. So, the hosts can wear whatever they want, regardless how impractical. They're talking head shills that brandish a sledgehammer once in a while for dramatic purposes.
I got to meet Tom Silva one time at a home show. He talked about that very point. His words were that whenever you see the homeowners on one of those shows fretting over the budget, "Oh how can we afford this..." it's the best acting you will ever see. If you watch This Old House in the old days vs today, it changed from a how to bring sweet equity to the project and save money to being massive blank check projects that normal people would never do. Same thing with the show Hometime. Went from being about projects a couple could tackle in the early 90s to "we're going to build million-dollar homes with the latest gadgets and video it" by the time the show ended.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:26 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
As to your first point ..

My husband's grandparents had a wall oven that stopped working sometime in the early 2000s. Then their built in cooktop lost a burner.

Mind you, these were old people who didn't want the hassle of workmen coming in and tearing things up and replacing them with stuff they were not used to.

But yeah, it does happen.

Personally I can't imaging going for over a decade without an oven.
My mom was a great cook. But about the time I was in high school, my dad bought her one of those countertop roaster/rotisserie ovens and she almost never used her regular oven again. She loved that thing, esp the rotisserie part. It was amazing what she made come out of that little oven.

I've actually wondered that with the various gadgets like the George Forman, Air Fryer, Instant Pot, Turkey Roaster, and a couple of those induction hot plates if you can make a fully equipped kitchen without a conventional stove or oven.

Of course, there's also something to be said for my Dutch Ovens. Man cook with fire. Fire good. Microwave cook with magic. Magic bad.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,155,264 times
Honestly, shabby chic gone out of control.

Like, why nail trash to the wall. Just why? It's amusing. But hard to understand....

Old 09-23-2023, 12:57 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Always makes me laugh to think that people have become so obsessed/desperate over bragging rights/surpassing the Joneses that utilitarian machines like washers and dryers have become status symbols!
I don't get it either. Reminds me of a time a friend invited me over to a house where he was house-sitting and told me to bring my laundry over because the washer and dryer were amazing, saying the homeowners had paid something like $2,000 for these machines to wash clothes. I actually took advantage of the offer and the experience was no more amazing than washing clothes in a $100 machine. Exact same result.

Comedian Brian Regan has a funny bit about buying a refrigerator, and how the salespeople try to push various 'features' with higher price points, but really they're all just a big box that keeps food cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating