Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 02:29 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times

Advertisements

Can you recommend a store to shop for oversized king comforters? I prefer brick & mortar stores because I like to feel bed linens before buying them but online will work as well as long as they accept returns.

I'm looking for comforters or even quilt coverlets that measure 120" wide and at least 98" long.

I've looked in some stores - At Home, TJMaxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Target - but have only found standard sizes. I've looked online and while Amazon has some, I don't really love the patterns/colors. When I search oversized king comforters, more often than not, it just gives me standard size which the overhang just doesn't suit me.

So just looking for recommendations on where to look from folks who may have personal experience in buying an oversized king comforter.

Small rant: The "standard" size just doesn't fit the bed properly. It allows for a 14" overhang on each side so it reaches to the top of the box spring & is unattractive. On smaller beds, you can just size up for a good fit but with a king size bed, there just seems to be very limited & difficult to find options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 02:36 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
I searched "oversized California King comforter" and these popped up first:

https://www.touchofclass.com/katelin...iABEgLMfPD_BwE

https://www.downlitebedding.com/comf...CABEgLorvD_BwE

Upon searching the same title, amazon had these pop up:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=californi...l_8gcx6cuifn_e

Old 09-19-2023, 05:34 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
The Company Store is very good quality, but very pricey. They have several oversized king comforters.
https://www.thecompanystore.com/sear...zed&lang=en_US

Old 09-19-2023, 06:48 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Have you tried looking for a "California King"?

Old 09-19-2023, 07:44 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
How would you clean a king sized comforter that's oversized? We have an eastern king bed (regular king rather than California king) and we use a comforter cover or duvet cover so we don't have to wash the actual comforter as often. Our mattress rests on a platform rather than a box spring so we don't have the box spring issue that you do. If you do find a large enough comforter would you be able to find a cover large enough for it?

My suggestion is to buy a king sized bedspread to cover the comforter. They are usually large enough to provide enough overhang to cover the box spring. I change up the look of my bedroom often and bedspreads are coming back again which makes me very happy. I love the look of a neatly made bed but I also switch up between pretty duvet covers and shams.

My question about cleaning the comforter is because I don't feel a dry cleaner is the right place to have a bedding cleaned so I make sure that anything that goes on my bed can also fit in my washing machine. I know many people feel otherwise but for me, I don't like the idea of my bedding going to a dry cleaners. You could also cover the box spring with a bedskirt to improve the look and keep the standard comforter.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:50 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
I wash mine at home. It is a bit larger than most, but it fits into the washer just fine.

OP, check out Pottery Barn.
I recently bought one there that was a bit larger than others. I DO use a bed skirt, but the comforter come down several inches below the top mattress on both sides.

My daughter-in-law tells me that Cal King comforters aren't wide enough for a standard king bed.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
How would you clean a king sized comforter that's oversized? We have an eastern king bed (regular king rather than California king) and we use a comforter cover or duvet cover so we don't have to wash the actual comforter as often.
The laundromat I go to has washers up to 90 lb capacity. That's where I wash mine. $9.25 to wash and maybe $1.50 to dry. This is one of the many times I wish I could have a clothesline in my back yard to let it dry that way.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:24 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you tried looking for a "California King"?
I have but Cal King is still not quite large enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
How would you clean a king sized comforter that's oversized?
If it doesn't fit in my washer, I'd take it to my local laundromat. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll consider those if I can't find what I'm looking for.

That is one reason why I'd consider a coverlet. That would definitely fit in my washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I wash mine at home. It is a bit larger than most, but it fits into the washer just fine.

OP, check out Pottery Barn.
I recently bought one there that was a bit larger than others. I DO use a bed skirt, but the comforter come down several inches below the top mattress on both sides.

My daughter-in-law tells me that Cal King comforters aren't wide enough for a standard king bed.
I'll do that! There's a Pottery Barn Outlet about an hour away so I'll check it out this weekend.

I thought about using a bed skirt and I may end up going in that direction if I can't find a comforter I like. I'll need a wrap around bed skirt since I don't want to wrangle with our heavy mattress every time I need to wash it though.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:32 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I have but Cal King is still not quite large enough.

If it doesn't fit in my washer, I'd take it to my local laundromat. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll consider those if I can't find what I'm looking for.

That is one reason why I'd consider a coverlet. That would definitely fit in my washer.

I'll do that! There's a Pottery Barn Outlet about an hour away so I'll check it out this weekend.

I thought about using a bed skirt and I may end up going in that direction if I can't find a comforter I like. I'll need a wrap around bed skirt since I don't want to wrangle with our heavy mattress every time I need to wash it though.
I have a fitted sheet over the box spring on a poster bed in one of the bedrooms. It’s a natural linen fitted sheet from LL Bean. Not sure if they still have them. It’s another option besides a bed skirt.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:36 PM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
A coverlet works well also. It's large enough to cover the sides of the bed but thin enough to fit in the washing machine. I have one that I use on occasion and then I put the pillows on top in three stacks of three. I don't like king sized pillows so I use nine standard/queen pillows and and stack them three across. Hubby and I read in bed and the nine pillows work well for our backs and also to put in front of us for our books or laptops.

If I buy a set of sheets with king pillow cases included, I sew them into queen sized pillow cases but the sheets and pillow cases I buy are usually sold separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating