Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:49 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Like suggestions on any particular kind of bunkbeds trunks and organizational cabinets or any specific company that may sell them
Like I mentioned earlier, I can utilize space in the vertical and I don’t like the open concept so a cluttered but organized look it’s totally fine with me
If you are going to have sort of end tables or coffee tables, look for those with drawers or enclosed cabinets rather than just four legs with a top. You can store all sorts of stuff there - board games, table linens, instruction manuals for appliances (I keep mine in an accordion file in an end table drawer). In another end table drawer is my “desk stuff” - envelopes, tape, stapler, stamps, small rolodex, etc.

Skip the pedestal sinks in the bathrooms and have vanities instead. I like storage cabinets mounted over the toilets, too. The nice ones made by kitchen cabinet manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 10:10 AM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, your OP wasn’t exactly forthcoming with any specifics so it was a stab in the dark with what information you gave (very little- like minuscule).

Going “vertical” can work to a certain degree- but if you need a step stool, ladder, or other apparatus to get to said vertically stored item- you’ve gone too high.

As far furniture that can do/double as storage- IKEA is your friend! They have literally thousands of pieces that will probably meet your requirements.
I’d be happy to share specifics
I’ll see my new floor plan this week

Thank you

Old 07-12-2023, 12:47 PM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If you have to downsize from a 2000 ft2 to 1380 ft2 house how would you make best use of the maximum space ?

Just looking for some ideas , esp since we will have high ceilings

it does not have to look the prettiest but should be efficient, practical and easy to use

That's not very easy to accomplish. American house plans waste a LOT of space. High ceiling in LR is already wasting space.

That said - first step is to declutter. Room by room select stuff that you will use and discard stuff that you won't. Don't fret, just say goodbye.
Then to maximize space look into organizers. If needed buy smaller but useful furnitures.
Look online how smaller houses are furnished and organized.
How many people will live there? How many bedrooms will the house have? Attic? Garage? Basement? Backyard with shed?

Need more info. Then will provide more suggestions.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:56 PM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As far furniture that can do/double as storage- IKEA is your friend! They have literally thousands of pieces that will probably meet your requirements.
Not only they have great small spaces furniture that are stackable, adjustable, expandable - you name it, but they have showrooms with ideas how to use them.

If you are a bit handy, there is a very useful "IKEA hacks" website full of ideas how to even better utilize their products and think outside the box.

BTW: did you already bought the house (or is that a condo), or still looking?

Last edited by elnina; 07-12-2023 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not only they have great small spaces furniture that are stackable, adjustable, expandable - you name it, but they have showrooms with ideas how to use them.

If you are a bit handy, there is a very useful "IKEA hacks" website full of ideas how to even better utilize their products and think outside the box.

BTW: did you already bought the house (or is that a condo), or still looking?
most likely will be a townhome

Old 07-15-2023, 10:18 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
If you can't get to an Ikea (not everyone can) look at their website for ideas. HGTV and Apartment Therapy also have good storage ideas.

But, reality check: you can't take everything

Old 07-15-2023, 08:50 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Are you willing to spend money or trying to do it on the cheap?
Do you think architects and designers deliver value?

Old 07-16-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If you can't get to an Ikea (not everyone can) look at their website for ideas. HGTV and Apartment Therapy also have good storage ideas.

But, reality check: you can't take everything
No I understand and trust me I’ve already jettisoned all the big space occupying stuff

Old 07-17-2023, 11:07 AM

119 posts, read 105,115 times
Aside from massively decluttering, I'd definitely get those drawers in the kitchen under the cabinets - the toe kick space can easily be turned into (shallow height) drawers by a carpenter. Bathroom sink vanity cabinets, no pedestal sinks ever (I don't have space constraints, but hate seeing stuff out). Shelving in garage for sure (if allowed, if no basement). hth.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:49 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
IKEA hacks is a great suggestion if you are willing to do some work on your own. Seeing your layout would help.
But I favor things that can keep clutter hidden side tables with drawers, for instance. hand crafted basket for magazines, and - although they don't hide clutter - floor to ceiling bookcases across a wall. These can include drawers or cabinets on the bottom for storage.

Decluttering and getting rid of things you don't use regularly is a great start. If you're into buying new furniture, or a piece or two, there are all kinds of sites for 'small space decorating.' You can purchase low profile sofas, or chairs, acrylic pieces that don't take up visual space, like that.

Have fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating