Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

I didn't want a house with a corner fireplace, but I got one. I've reconciled myself to it. I think when it is in the corner, and the TV is along another wall, as in my room, the fireplace loses its 'star' power in a room. But I have balanced the room with tall bookcases diagonally across from the fireplace, and I've placed a nice picture above it, and I keep the generous mantel decorated as well.

In traditional homes, the fireplace is the thing that determines seating and is the focus in the room. With a corner, you have to think a bit differently, especially if there is a TV also in the room. But traditional rooms with their centered fireplaces create problems too, for TV watching.

I don't think corner fireplaces are the "latest rage" so much as a cheaper way to get a fireplace into a floorplan where it is hard to do so. I don't think expensive homes have corner fireplaces. The centered, and grand fireplace, takes pride of place in an affluent setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Then don't buy new construction in your area. What's the big deal?

No, they won't be. In the two homes with fireplaces that I have occupied both fireplaces were totally utilitarian and not an architectural focal point. I suppose it depends on where you live.

The window is almost floor to ceiling. The average window sill is what, 30" from the floor? That is tall enough to place a table, desk, low dresser, etc. against the wall underneath the window without obstructing the window.

When it comes to fireplaces and TVs the two things I do not understand is why most people place the TV above the fireplace, and; why people assume a TV must go against a wall.
Who says you can't put a table/desk in front of a window?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Like pretty much everything mass builders do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I didn't want a house with a corner fireplace, but I got one. I've reconciled myself to it. I think when it is in the corner, and the TV is along another wall, as in my room, the fireplace loses its 'star' power in a room. But I have balanced the room with tall bookcases diagonally across from the fireplace, and I've placed a nice picture above it, and I keep the generous mantel decorated as well.

In traditional homes, the fireplace is the thing that determines seating and is the focus in the room. With a corner, you have to think a bit differently, especially if there is a TV also in the room. But traditional rooms with their centered fireplaces create problems too, for TV watching.

I don't think corner fireplaces are the "latest rage" so much as a cheaper way to get a fireplace into a floorplan where it is hard to do so. I don't think expensive homes have corner fireplaces. The centered, and grand fireplace, takes pride of place in an affluent setting.
...it is about "cost control". Moreso than a true custom builder all mass builders look for ways to trim every nickle they can from a home, when you do thousands of builds a year those nickle add up. Ultimately this is not the worst compromise ever -- it is probably more energy efficent than other designs and is not the worst thing as far as flexibility of room use, but I agree that your higher end homes do like to "showcase" a more dramatically centered fireplace. The worst aspect from my perspective is that if you do try to "balance" the corner fireplace with any kind of book case / shelving / storage you have a much difficult take dealing with the "triangular format" than if you had a traditonal rectangle to match.

It is pretty clear that the folks drawing up these plans are not coming out of the strongest design backgrounds. Pretty much all great architects work with forms that are pleasant to the dimensions of everyday humans and last time I checked there aren't many of us with acute triangles for any part of our anatomy...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...it is about "cost control". Moreso than a true custom builder all mass builders look for ways to trim every nickle they can from a home, when you do thousands of builds a year those nickle add up. Ultimately this is not the worst compromise ever -- it is probably more energy efficent than other designs and is not the worst thing as far as flexibility of room use, but I agree that your higher end homes do like to "showcase" a more dramatically centered fireplace. The worst aspect from my perspective is that if you do try to "balance" the corner fireplace with any kind of book case / shelving / storage you have a much difficult take dealing with the "triangular format" than if you had a traditonal rectangle to match.

It is pretty clear that the folks drawing up these plans are not coming out of the strongest design backgrounds. Pretty much all great architects work with forms that are pleasant to the dimensions of everyday humans and last time I checked there aren't many of us with acute triangles for any part of our anatomy...

I agree with you...I think it's a cost control aspect.

But in my area, even high-end homes are being built with corner FP's. These are $500k & $600k spec homes. In this area (Huntsville, AL), $500k+ is definitely high-end. Granted, a lot of these houses have 2 fireplaces and only 1 is usually in the corner. Even so, it bugs me!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:

When it comes to fireplaces and TVs the two things I do not understand is why most people place the TV above the fireplace, and; why people assume a TV must go against a wall.
I can think of several reasons - cords. the back of a TV is ugly and not meant to be seen. Putting it in the middle of the room would take up a lot of space. I'm trying to picture placing a TV anywhere besides against a wall and I can't.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I live in a 1989 house with one, and I hate it too.

The hearth takes up 18" of needed floor space, the mantle is so high it prevents me from putting anything large over it, and it makes the arrangement of furniture very difficult.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Create Corner Fireplace For Modern Home

I don't see how they take up any more space than a non-corner fireplace would. If anything, they seem to take up less space.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Corner fireplaces can work but it depends on the other elements in the room. We currently have an open floor plan (not a huge fan which is one of many reasons we decided to sell this house and have bought and are renovating another). Though I'm not a huge fan of open concept living for our family's style, I think we did a good job of incorporating the fireplace and TV in our current home:

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I do not like them either, they cut the room and make furniture placement a bit harder.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:33 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
The fireplace will always be the architectural focal point of the room, no matter what else you do in the same room....unless you either conceal your TV or conceal the FP.

What do you mean that the tall/low windows decrease much needed wall space? What usable wall space would you have with a "regular" size window, as opposed to a larger window? Maybe I'm not following you....
I prefer having the television being the focal point of the room. I want to be able to comfortably watch tv from either my sofa or love seat. In a room without a tv, yes, I'd want the fireplace to be the focal point.

Quote:
...The window is almost floor to ceiling. The average window sill is what, 30" from the floor? That is tall enough to place a table, desk, low dresser, etc. against the wall underneath the window without obstructing the window...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Who says you can't put a table/desk in front of a window?
You could place a table or desk in front of one of those tall windows. But depending on what you put there, it might make it difficult to open the window or blinds or for ease of cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I like them. They usually free up a wall for the TV.
I agree. I have both my family room & living room sofa & loveseat in an L configuration. The living room doesn't have a fireplace so the entertainment center is the focal point upstairs. Downstairs in my family room, there is a gas fireplace insert directly below the entertainment center upstairs. So in my family room, my entertainment center is angled off the wall of the fireplace so that people can view the tv from the sofa or loveseat. I have no hearth, didn't need one since it's a gas fireplace insert. The hearth just eats up space in the room & makes a small room even smaller. The fireplace insert is about 16" above the floor. So you can easily gaze at the flames while comfortably seated on the love seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating