Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Cedar siding is bad?
That's what I'm thinking; cedar siding sounds like a huge plus to me.

Go figure.\

Not to mention that brick might be entirely wrong for the style of house.

And who cares what the other houses look like? I've never wanted to be like everyone else, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

382 posts, read 824,836 times
It just looks very plain in comparison with the others. They are all custom built homes, and whoever initially chose the cedar probably did so due to their own pricing constraints. It just looks like a typical Georgian house, and certainly doesn't reflect the beauty on the inside. I'm trying to spruce it up with molding, something surrounding the door, etc. I love brick, so I'm wondering if putting a layer of veneer would be costly or not. My realtor told me just to do the front would be 15k.

Last edited by divakat; 07-10-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,705 times
Cedar isn't cheap, FWIW.

We are in the woods and our house is a woodsy style, prow and all that, so cedar was the obvious choice. And the smell of the house the first few weeks was divine. I wish that smell lasted!!

We got a cedar siding with the color infused in the wood - 15-year stain warranty. We're at 14 years and the color still looks new, mostly. There are signs of wear around high-traffic areas on our deck, but generally, I'm thrilled it's been no-maintenance so far. I hate the thought of when it does start to need work, though. Painting the dang deck to match the cedar color is torture enough!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,241 times
I always wanted an all brick house but now that I have one I want a home with a mix of cedar plank siding, cedar shingles/shakes and STONE! To me this is beautiful!

So if I were you I would not do brick....use the cedar siding to to your advantage and make your house the shining star of the block by adding some stone accents and/or replacing some of the cedar plank siding with shakes/shingles.

If your worried about looking too rustic in a more "stately" neighborhood as you say, there are tons of different stains/paints and stone choices that can give you a look that will make your house still look like part of the neighborhood but give you that uniqueness that when people pass by they go WOW! And then take some of that money that you would of spent by doing all brick and put it into the front yard so you have one cohesive plan.

If you decide to make some changes....would love to see before and after :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I always wanted an all brick house but now that I have one I want a home with a mix of cedar plank siding, cedar shingles/shakes and STONE! To me this is beautiful!

So if I were you I would not do brick....use the cedar siding to to your advantage and make your house the shining star of the block by adding some stone accents and/or replacing some of the cedar plank siding with shakes/shingles.

If your worried about looking too rustic in a more "stately" neighborhood as you say, there are tons of different stains/paints and stone choices that can give you a look that will make your house still look like part of the neighborhood but give you that uniqueness that when people pass by they go WOW! And then take some of that money that you would of spent by doing all brick and put it into the front yard so you have one cohesive plan.

If you decide to make some changes....would love to see before and after :-)
I think one of the only issues is that, if it is a Georgian style house like they said, it will be fairly squared and flat-front. This style of house makes it hard to mix multiple materials in a way that looks intentional and original to the design. It can be done to some degree, but would be a little tricky. Multiple materials work best on houses that have bump-outs, angles, and architectural features to accentuate by utilizing multiple materials with different color and texture.

So, while I agree with you like I prefer mixing materials to all-brick, their style of house sounds like it might not be all that conducive to what you are describing.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I think one of the only issues is that, if it is a Georgian style house like they said, it will be fairly squared and flat-front. This style of house makes it hard to mix multiple materials in a way that looks intentional and original to the design. It can be done to some degree, but would be a little tricky. Multiple materials work best on houses that have bump-outs, angles, and architectural features to accentuate by utilizing multiple materials with different color and texture.

So, while I agree with you like I prefer mixing materials to all-brick, their style of house sounds like it might not be all that conducive to what you are describing.
Ah yes.....missed the Georgian style. That's what I get for responding at 3:00am :-)

Without any bump outs it would be tricky. There are still some things that could be done like possibly stone skirting, putting shingles/shakes on dormers (if he has them) etc. BUT to keep to the true Georgian style....some ways he could dress up his home is by adding a really nice portico (if he doesn't have one), add some nice trim around windows and door and possibly paint it a color that is true to that period (although painting adds to the maintenance factor). I just think cedar is such a great material and that there are other ways to dress up his home without going all brick.

Without seeing a picture of his home (and of those around him) it's somewhat difficult to provide suggestions :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Without seeing a picture of his home (and of those around him) it's somewhat difficult to provide suggestions :-)
agreed completely!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
Yes, pictures needed because like others have said, Cedar is valuable and desirable. My last house was all Redwood which I stained brown. The entire 3 block community was Redwood and others chose to paint with paint. Crazy. When the neighbor needed to replace a few boards because of a deck demo she couldn't even afford it, they were so expensive and high quality, she put in pine.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Cedar siding is bad?
We have cedar siding and love it.
Is it just the wrong style house for the siding?
Depends on where you are... I've lived some places where stone and brick are king, but here it seems like siding and vinyl villages are all the rage.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
Cedar siding is a bad thing? That is strange... I guess if it looks run down (even though run down cedar is gorgeous) then just stain it and make it those beautiful red and brown colors. Then you'll have the best looking house on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating