Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

That new plan doesn't work right. Do your parents really NEED a double wall oven and seperate cooktop? If they haven't had it up until now they probably don't. You would have more flexability and would save a lot of counterrspace if you just had a traditional oven/cooktop and the TRIANGLE.

I'd put the sink and DW at the END of the run, and try not to have an appliance on the other side of the island. Worst case, if they needed a double wall oven I'd put that on it's own instead of the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Horrible.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
So everyone is alright with having the lone refrigerator across the room? Not only does it look odd, but it isn't practical.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
So everyone is alright with having the lone refrigerator across the room? Not only does it look odd, but it isn't practical.
Ours is set up this way and it works really well actually. Depending on the length of the wall the fridge is on, I would add more cabinetry to that wall--we have pantry cabinet, fridge, desk with cabinets above along our "lone" wall. It's nice because it doesn't crowd everything in one area and we can take things out of the fridge and just put things on the island to get ready to prep for meals. Most of the other food is in the pantry next to the fridge so it's all together basically.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Do your parents really NEED a double wall oven and seperate cooktop? If they haven't had it up until now they probably don't.
Mother has a bad back. She has one of those 80's style stoves with the oven on top and bottom and barley ever uses the bottom. So yes, they want it.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I can only assume Connecticut has no code inspections. Down here in Texas, that is a code violation. I'd suggest moving the sink to the D/W location and the D/W to the end of the cabinets. That would give you far more working and effective counter space. While the fluff at the frig looks neat, unless there is a means of venting the frig, frig life will be short. I've seen nothing but issues with units built in including the first house I built for me. And that frig vented to a utility room but was still not enough.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I can only assume Connecticut has no code inspections. Down here in Texas, that is a code violation. I'd suggest moving the sink to the D/W location and the D/W to the end of the cabinets. That would give you far more working and effective counter space. While the fluff at the frig looks neat, unless there is a means of venting the frig, frig life will be short. I've seen nothing but issues with units built in including the first house I built for me. And that frig vented to a utility room but was still not enough.
What is not to code in that diagram?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:50 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

Nope... I'm with you.

I personally would not want a fridge set-up like that.
I NEED - yes, need, not want - counter spaces near the fridge to place things on while loading/unloading.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:11 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Counter-depth fridges do not start at 5 grand unless they have gone up a couple thousand dollars in the last 3 years. We have bought counter-depth fridges for our last two houses and paid less than $3,000 - both are around 25 cf. Our last home had a kitchen that was gutted to the studs and remodeled - a cabinet was built to house the counter-depth fridge and everything fit perfectly. I like how tall the counter-depth fridges are and would never go back to a kitchen where the fridge protrudes into any open area.

The other thing is - if you buy all or most of your appliances from one source, be sure to ask for a 10% discount. We asked and received a 10% discount while buying appliances for our last two kitchens.

I also disagree that the perfect working triangle is difficult to achieve. My last two kitchens have had the perfect working triangle - no more than 2 steps to anything I need while cooking - both are spacious kitchens.
Oh yes, I agree...

I absolutely hate refridgerators, I think they are the most ugliest things one can have in a house, and obviouslt you need it. I have also been noticing that now a days they are even bigger and clunkier... blech!!

They all should have been made counter depth since the beginning of time.....counter depth is the only type fridge that doesn't look half bad. The best is to get fridges with the cabinet fronts.....

the first picture the poster has with the fridge sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle is awful.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Could do something like this. The part without the wall oven is actually almost exactly like my kitchen (which is in a 2010 built home).

Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of this kitchen layout?-kitchen_new2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating