Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,154,704 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone has purchased anything from the Paula Deen furniture line. Is it quality or junk? It is not cheap furniture in terms of price. I never watch her show or pay much attention to her really but I do like the style of some of the furniture. I really like the savannah bedroom set in tobacco color. I found one store in my area that sells it but all they had on the floor was the media cabinet (more was coming in at some point). The drawers on it were pretty tough to open and close. The saleswoman told me that since the store had boiler heat, it tends to mess up their displays. I don't know how much truth there is in that. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,363,281 times
I looked at a piece in the markdown room of a retailer near us. s Looking for something that will double as a hall table but can be used as a bar or serving area for parties to encourage movement throughout the house. It was a buffet with a fold out top that would be great for entertaining. However, it was marked down because the fold out pieces on both sides of the buffet were badly warped. They did not sit flat when folded down to the top and when folded out, they were even worse. I asked if those pieces could be ordered separately and I was told "no". I would have considered buying the buffet to order but seeing the condition of this one convinced me otherwise. Hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I looked at a piece in the markdown room of a retailer near us. s Looking for something that will double as a hall table but can be used as a bar or serving area for parties to encourage movement throughout the house. It was a buffet with a fold out top that would be great for entertaining. However, it was marked down because the fold out pieces on both sides of the buffet were badly warped. They did not sit flat when folded down to the top and when folded out, they were even worse. I asked if those pieces could be ordered separately and I was told "no". I would have considered buying the buffet to order but seeing the condition of this one convinced me otherwise. Hope that helps.
Thank you! With your experience and what I had seen with that media cabinet, seems like warping is an issue. Oddly, I have not been able to find any reviews on line. I have searched so many websites and no one has offered any kind of review. The bedroom set runs about 4500 dollars. So IMO that is pretty darn expensive especially if the furniture is subpar.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Paula Deen furniture is made by Universal, which is crapola.......a lot of it is made from MDF.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Paula Deen furniture is made by Universal, which is crapola.......a lot of it is made from MDF.
Thanks! In your opinion what is a good furniture manufacturer for bedroom furniture? The last set we bought ourselves was 20 yrs ago from a national chain furniture store that pretty much sells junk but it did last us 20 yrs. Anyway, our bed is very nice looking but wobbly and IMO needs to go. When we relocated my dresser would not fit in the moving truck so we left it behind. Now we have a complete mismatch furniture set and not in a good way. I could easily go to IKEA and get a whole bedroom set for under a 1,000 bucks. I think that type of furniture is okay for my teenage son and our guest bedroom but I wanted something nice for us. Something that looks substantial, classic and we would have for a very long time. I entertained pottery barn but I do not think their stuff is really high quality. Different and stylish but not high quality. Ethan Allan seems high priced and subpar as well. I wish I could find a decent set at a second hand store and fix it up myself but we no longer have a truck to haul such projects so I am mainly looking at new.

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thank you! With your experience and what I had seen with that media cabinet, seems like warping is an issue. Oddly, I have not been able to find any reviews on line. I have searched so many websites and no one has offered any kind of review. The bedroom set runs about 4500 dollars. So IMO that is pretty darn expensive especially if the furniture is subpar.
So much of the "trendy" furniture is just that and manufactured overseas. I prefer furniture made here in the USA. It tends to last longer and be made of a higher quality. Then again, some people change furnuture like they change sweaters. I tend to keep mine around forever, literally.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Thanks! In your opinion what is a good furniture manufacturer for bedroom furniture? The last set we bought ourselves was 20 yrs ago from a national chain furniture store that pretty much sells junk but it did last us 20 yrs. Anyway, our bed is very nice looking but wobbly and IMO needs to go. When we relocated my dresser would not fit in the moving truck so we left it behind. Now we have a complete mismatch furniture set and not in a good way. I could easily go to IKEA and get a whole bedroom set for under a 1,000 bucks. I think that type of furniture is okay for my teenage son and our guest bedroom but I wanted something nice for us. Something that looks substantial, classic and we would have for a very long time. I entertained pottery barn but I do not think their stuff is really high quality. Different and stylish but not high quality. Ethan Allan seems high priced and subpar as well. I wish I could find a decent set at a second hand store and fix it up myself but we no longer have a truck to haul such projects so I am mainly looking at new.

Thoughts?
Frankly, in this economy, there is plenty of quality furniture to be found at estate auctions. You'd be amazed at quality solid wood going for prices 1/4 of Pottery Barn, etc... . Just check out Craiglslist in your own town. Used furniture doesn't have to mean sub-par in quality.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,547,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Frankly, in this economy, there is plenty of quality furniture to be found at estate auctions. You'd be amazed at quality solid wood going for prices 1/4 of Pottery Barn, etc... . Just check out Craiglslist in your own town. Used furniture doesn't have to mean sub-par in quality.
^^^This is actually great advice. Estate sales, auction houses, vintage and antique shops, flea markets in higher end areas.....you will find amazingly great quality, unique pieces and great prices if you take some time and use a bit more creativity then just buying a "set" off of the showroom floor.

But, if you are determined to just by off the sales floor I would recommend Thomasville.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Quote:
I think that type of furniture is okay for my teenage son and our guest bedroom but I wanted something nice for us. Something that looks substantial, classic and we would have for a very long time.
If you like contemporary (but not hard modern) and don't mind getting rid of the box spring, we've been really happy with our purchases from Room and Board. For Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen prices, they have a lot of pieces that are solid wood or steel and American-made.

Beds - Bedrooms - Room & Board

Also very good customer service in my experience, and we couldn't be happier with our purchases, even if ordering furniture by mail takes a leap of faith the first time you do it.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
post me a link of what it was you liked in the Paula Deen line, and I will find you something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg that is quality stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating