Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,307 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a split level house, built in the 60's...and I'm really struggling with decorating one room. It's the most important room in the house and can be seen immediately after you enter through the foyer. I have purchased two brunswick and fils chairs that I love that I really want included... all of the rest of the furniture can go.... anyone have any ideas for me?

I like the yellow color scheme with hints of red and maybe green...

The room is 18ft long and 15ft wide. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
help decorating an oddly shaped room-living-room-pictures-002.jpg   help decorating an oddly shaped room-new-chair-011.jpg   help decorating an oddly shaped room-living-room-pictures-007.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
I would put the new chairs flanking the fireplace and put the couch parallel to the fireplace. Get an area rug to put in front of the couch to anchor the spot. Then do another grouping of furniture, a desk, something at the other end of the room.

Your problem is that your furniture is too small to put against the walls and that is what is looking out of place. You could also put the 2 chairs on one side of the fireplace with a small table between and the couch on the other side, again with an area rug between them. At bare minimum, pull all the furniture away from the walls about 2'.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Golfgal- you nailed it!

If you do as she suggested, you could also put a long "behind the couch table" piece so you wouldn't just be seeing the back of the couch. Nice for flowers, a table lamp, or some books. Alternatively, that could be a place for a writing desk to integrate that end of the room into the rest of the space. Don't add too much furniture though at the risk of overcrowding.

So many somewhat traditional houses do have the fireplace as a focal point that shouldn't be ignored , but it does often dictate decorating. I struggle with this in my own LR - also a long rectangle.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
I would put the new chairs flanking the fireplace and put the couch parallel to the fireplace. Get an area rug to put in front of the couch to anchor the spot. Then do another grouping of furniture, a desk, something at the other end of the room.
This.

Do you have a sofa table to go in back of the couch?

I would put those matching chairs on each side of the couch, in line with your coffee table. The other larger chair I would put on the other end of the room with a little table, kinda of where you have the two chair now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating