Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which battleship is most symbolic of America?
USS Pennsylvania 2 3.33%
USS Arizona 16 26.67%
USS North Carolina 2 3.33%
USS Missouri 30 50.00%
Other (please explain) 10 16.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

I've gotta soft spot for sails and cannons, don't get me wrong... but they weren't battleships. As was already mentioned, the equivilent of the time were the 100+ gun man of wars... and the USA never had one.

What I was looking for was this... If you asked for the symbolic battleship of Imperial Japan, it would have to be the Yamato, or Bismark for Nazi Germany... even though both had sisterships that were technically larger and just as deadly (at least I think the Musashi was of greater tonnage...correct me if I'm wrong).

It's harder to pick symbolic capital ships for the allies... Dreadnought, Hood or Rodney or King George V for UK? ... Richelieu or Jean Bart for France? Oh well, it's fun to think about anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
IIRC, the Hood was a battlecruiser.

Speaking of battlecruisers, I think the USS Alaska was the most graceful looking of all US capital ships in WWII:

http://www.modelwarships.com/feature...ska/h57212.jpg

Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
IIRC, the Hood was a battlecruiser.

Speaking of battlecruisers, I think the USS Alaska was the most graceful looking of all US capital ships in WWII:

http://www.modelwarships.com/feature...ska/h57212.jpg
But... but...

It has the same lines as the Iowa Class battleships, just smaller (and the twin 5"? on the bow).

Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM

447 posts, read 733,435 times
I would have to say the Mighty Mo. But the USS South Dakota is the ship that shot down over 20 planes in one engagement a record never equaled by any ship. And the USS Washington engaged the Japenese battleship the Kiroshima and sunk it at Guadalcanal. It was one of the only times US battleships fought it out with a Japenese battleship. But they never got the fame of the Mighty Mo. Ron

Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I'm gonna stick with the Arizona as the "most symbolic" because it demonstrates how we hoped for peace but prepared for war... and when we got knocked on our collective asses we got back up and still fought the good fight no matter what the odds.

The Arizona is is also a good metaphor for remembering and honoring the past, but not dwelling on it. Rather than trying to keep the Arizona in stasis as a museum piece, we are letting nature slowly reclaim it. There is just something psychologically powerful about a shipwreck... It's probably the same reason why the Bismarck is so compelling today too.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But... but...

It has the same lines as the Iowa Class battleships, just smaller (and the twin 5"? on the bow).

I believe those were 40mm "Pom-Pom" guns. The gun bucket is still out there on the prow of the Iowa, but there's no guns in it. You can see it poking out from a line of mothballed ships near Benecia, CA.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM

31,030 posts, read 22,064,322 times
You said symbolic. I'll take the Arizona and she was the symbol that started WWII. More men and women on the street would recognize the Arizona's name. Now as for as a symbol of Power and longjevity the Missouri takes the cake! I was on the Missouri and she is one impressive Battle Ship

With the 18.1 inch main guns the Yamato and her sister ship were probably the most impressive battle ships ever made. They were also, the most under-utilized and the Japanese almost seemed afraid to use them??

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-15-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You said symbolic. I'll take the Arizona and she was the symbol that started WWII. More men and women on the street would recognize the Arizona's name. Now as for as a symbol of Power and longjevity the Missouri takes the cake! I was on the Missouri and she is one impressive Battle Ship

With the 18.1 inch main guns the Yamato and her sister ship were probably the most impressive battle ships ever made. They were also, the most under-utilized and the Japanese almost seemed afraid to use them??
The sister ship of the "Yamato", "Musashi", was sunk in action by carrier aircraft during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, in October, 1944. The "Yamato" was also sunk by carrier aircraft on a forlorn, one way, suicide mission to Okinawa, in April, 1945.
I suppose you could say that they were underutilized, at least until 1944. The third hull of this class, the "Shinano", was converted to an aircraft carrier, but was sunk by a USN submarine before ever seeing action.
There is an interesting Japanese movie on DVD, titled "Yamato', which I purchased, that covers her final sortie to Okinawa. Very well done, with subtitles.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
The sister ship of the "Yamato", "Musashi", was sunk in action by carrier aircraft during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, in October, 1944. The "Yamato" was also sunk by carrier aircraft on a forlorn, one way, suicide mission to Okinawa, in April, 1945.
I suppose you could say that they were underutilized, at least until 1944. The third hull of this class, the "Shinano", was converted to an aircraft carrier, but was sunk by a USN submarine before ever seeing action.
There is an interesting Japanese movie on DVD, titled "Yamato', which I purchased, that covers her final sortie to Okinawa. Very well done, with subtitles.
They were "underutilized" because they never had the opportunity to engage in their intended role. They were supposed to be the centerpiece of the Japanese fleet to engage the Americans in their "decisive battle". The Japanese knew they couldn't outproduce the US in ships, so they created these "battleship killers". The problem is, they never had an opportunity to fight the "decisive battle" and everytime they tried to create one, it failed miserably. They are pretty much icons in the diminished role of the battleship in WW2. Take away aircraft carriers and these ships would have been killers.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
The Missouri gets my vote. I had the good fortune to stand on her decks when I lived in San Francisco and she was there in port. One of the crew told me she could totally outrun all of her support ships. What an awesome vessel! It might not be feasible economically, or militarily, but I so wish she would be put back in service! Just watching her come into port that day was a very moving experience for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History