Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

I have eye problems in my left eye now because of Diabetic damage and having shots done for months now so I don't need to damage my eyes even more by looking.

Just a few seconds of looking at an eclipse can do lasting eye damage.

Corrections & Clarifications: An earlier version of this story misstated where Michael Schettler practices, which is the Columbus area.

An Ohio optometrist issued his plea last Friday: Please, don't watch the solar eclipse outside. And if you do watch it, for vision's sake, do it perfectly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ses/567118001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:13 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
There is ZERO risk to your eyes observing totality. The only risk is during the partial phases, and only if you use direct rather than indirect methods to observe it AND you don't use the safety equipment properly. Telling people to stay indoors during the eclipse is a ludicrous over-reaction!

Old 08-19-2017, 05:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I'm not going to be out during any of it. I'm not that curious.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times
I'm wondering if you use welding glasses if that would work?

Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm wondering if you use welding glasses if that would work?
"The only (welding masks) that are safe for direct viewing of the sun with your eyes are those of shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number."

Solar eclipse 2017: How to safely see the solar eclipse without special glasses | AL.com

PLEASE be careful. It's very tempting to think you could look at the sun just for an instant during an eclipse. But that instant could be too long or it could turn into longer than an instant. Use special glasses and make sure they are genuine because a lot of fakes have been sold. Seeing an eclipse is not worth never being able to see anything again.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
well we have a busy schedule tomorrow and we are probably going to have an overcast day so we are off the hook, good reason not to watch it. look at it this way, none of us will be alive in 100 years to tell the world we watched in 2017 and most people really do not give a darn anyway. We will let our friends, that do watch tell us all about it.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
What's the attraction anyway? I watched the May 1965 version and didn't see anything that rocked my soul.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Things have been blown out of proportion and using logic, one can ascertain:

A) The sun's rays during a partial solar eclipse are the same strength as any other day, no more, no less.
B) One sees the sun daily, particularly peripherally, and we are bombarded by her rays daily simply by being outside.
C) It is never advisable to look directly at the sun, thus one shouldn't do so during a partial eclipse, either.

Therefore:

A) being outside during an eclipse is not any more harmful than any other day.
B) Seeing the partial eclipse peripherally is no more harmful than seeing it peripherally on a daily basis.
C) Do not look directly at the sun under any circumstances.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Things have been blown out of proportion and using logic, one can ascertain:

A) The sun's rays during a partial solar eclipse are the same strength as any other day, no more, no less.
B) One sees the sun daily, particularly peripherally, and we are bombarded by her rays daily simply by being outside.
C) It is never advisable to look directly at the sun, thus one shouldn't do so during a partial eclipse, either.

Therefore:

A) being outside during an eclipse is not any more harmful than any other day.
B) Seeing the partial eclipse peripherally is no more harmful than seeing it peripherally on a daily basis.
C) Do not look directly at the sun under any circumstances.
The event has come and gone and while it was overblown on going blind your "logic" left out some important facts...and one key fact completely

Solar retinopathy would be rare on a sunny day because it hurts to stare at the sun, its almost impossible to do without blinking, closing eyes, looking away etc

During a solar eclipse one can stare at the "mostly occluded sun" without any sense of pain, need to blink etc...the damage being done to the retinas during this time is painless but also irreversible.

Telling people not to go outside was plain silly but reinforcing the need not to look at the eclipse was necessary because people can and will do it and the eye damage can be devastating

Old 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
What's the attraction anyway? I watched the May 1965 version and didn't see anything that rocked my soul.
You have a cold heart, is all I'm going to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness