Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I've been suffering from a Baker's Cyst for over 2 weeks now. Firstly, they did a blood test, to rule out a blood clot, then an Ultrasound, which revealed the Cyst. Was referred to an Orthopedic Clinic, but they demanded an Xray, the results of the ultrasound were not enough. Got the Xray, then was told it didn't reveal enough. Then an MRI, then told I needed another MRI with the iodine, something more definitive.

I had to shell out $500 for the first MRI, out of pocket, and then another? I'm a CNA, and work in a health care facility, and the nurses at work told me I was being taken for an expensive ride!

Frustrated beyond belief, I went down to Angeles Hospital in Tijuana, a hospital specifically built for medical tourists from the U.S. and Canada. Took my Ultrasound and xray CD with, along with the images of the MRI.

My Orthopedist in Tijuana (formerly a Dr. in the U.S.): "I've been treating Baker's Cysts for years, and I've never saw any reason to order an MRI for a Baker's Cyst. And they're asking for 2 MRI's for a Baker's Cyst? Do bear in mind, Dr.'s in the U.S. have a vested interest in, so-called, X-ray/MRI "factories", as a number of Dr.'s own these facilities."

What a breath of fresh air!!! This is the 3rd time, when I ran into a health roadblock like this, I ran to a foreign country for a 2nd opinion, and they always rescued me!

So the question is, when are MRI's necessary and when are they unnecessary? For future reference!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-10-2014 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
It is trure and definitely a conflict of interest for a doctor to order a test and direct the patient to a facility where he/she has financial interest. Happens all the time..labs, rehabs, etc.
I would say you were being taken advantage of. What you can do about it is vague. I can tell you from experience doctors are notorious for taking care of their own. They are loathe to report on each other or to make negative comments about colleagues. Years ago I went to doctor to complain about near fatal treatment at the hands of another doc. When I told him I was considering bringing a medical malpractice lawsuit, he told me"I wish you would. I'm tried of cleaning up other people's messes."

But how are we as lay people to know what is necessary or maybe even dangerous? MRI showed huge ovarian cyst for me a few years ago and growth on my daughter's adrenal gland just last week.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
I think additional tests (be what they may - MRI, CT, X-ray, whatever) are a good idea if there is something wrong and no one knows what the problem is. And sometimes a test may not show what is wrong, but it can show what is not wrong and then that can help to rule out certain problems.

Generally that is when I have been sent for tests. The doctor does not know what is wrong or does not know for sure what is wrong. Also if an injury, the extent of damage.

In my experience, tests are possibly unnecessary if they come up with nothing helpful.

Whereas the necessary tests will show the extent of damage for an injury or lack of damage (additional information), or find where the problem is, or based on the test results, something is done or not done - the doctor then has more information and based on that will do or not do something. And then that is the end of it so far as testing/diagnosis goes.

Also I have had many doctors, who as a rule rarely send me for additional tests. I almost have to ask them to do so.

Then a couple of other doctors who FREQUENTLY sent me for additional tests - I got the impression they were making money somehow. And many of those tests showed nothing wrong!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
I tend to go to doctors who work out of a major hospital so my MRI's have been done at a major hospital. I one time went to a doctor who wanted me to have an MRI at a small place they were affiliated with and it sent up some red flags. I ended up not needing it but if I did I would have went to a doctor affiliated with a major hospital to have it ordered there.
I have had MRI's when I was having severe pain and other tests were not showing the cause. The MRI's were not only for a dx but to rule out other possible causes. Sometimes you may have pain in one area but it can be coming from another.
I always feel it is better to be safe then sorry but also am big on second or even third opinions for diagnosis and treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness