Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 57,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyw1 View Post
I had a total big toe replacement surgery on June 2nd and have been doing fairly well. A bit of pain but not bad. Today, I was walking through the house - I had just taken my shoes off (Yes, I can wear shoes again after 10 years of not wearing shoes) -I try to leave the shoes off for at least 1/2 my day. Anyway, I stubbed my other toes and thought I didn't affect my big toe, but now the pain is bad. Anyone out there stubbed your toe after the surgery? My podiatrist said I was at the point that I could not hurt my toe, that it is healing very nicely, but I hope I haven't damaged it. Let me know if this has happened to you
Sorry to hear you hurt your toe --- I am scheduled to have a joint replacement in my left foot - and I was wondering how long you were out of work -- the podiatrist said I would be able to put weight on it the day of surgery and I was hoping that meant no loss of time at work... Feel better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 57,599 times
Smile Joint replacement in great toe

After reading posts on line regarding surgery for a toe joint replacement I was ready to cancel. I had the surgery 7 days ago and the surgery went very smoothly - for 2 days I spent most of the day in bed with my foot elevated - only needed pain medication on a regular schedule for 3 days - then only Tylenol - now none. Not using crutches but still with the lovely "shoe"and have started "exercises" with the toe. The worse part of the surgery was the anticipation --- will leave follow up in a couple of weeks. Don't cancel or put it off ---- the pain before surgery was so much worse than the pain from the surgery. There are happy endings.............

Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 26,570 times
I'm 12 days post op after hemi big toe replacement. No pain until yesterday, now I have calf pain. Taking Tylenol, it helps. I see the doc in 2 days, hope I can walk on the boot without crutches, they hurt and I don't feel steady with them. Has anyone else had calf pain?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 26,552 times
Hey guys.....I am scheduled to have total joint replacement of my big toe on Jan. 18th. My Doctor said I could go back to work after 4 or 5 days from surgery. Doctor said I will have to wear a boot for I think 6 weeks. He knows I am on my feet all day at work but said I should be fine. Is this for real? After what I have been reading on line, I never heard anyone say they were back to work after 4 or 5 days. Please someone, respond to me ASAP. What kind of joint did everyone use? Can't remember the kinds they have to offer. I'm more afraid now, especially after what I have been looking at and reading on line.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 30,542 times
I have been reading this forum since before my surgery. It made me very apprehensive. After the surgery, when I was starting to think I would never feel better, reading some of these was making me feel hopeless. But today I decided to register and tell my story, because I am suddenly seeing and feeling progress and wanted to share.

I had my surgery on December 1st - about 5 1/2 weeks ago. I had a titanium implant put into my right big toe joint, a bunion removed (they sawed it off), and some bone spurs on the top of my foot removed as well. Before the surgery there was no cartilage left in that joint and the pain was terrible. There were only a few shoes I could wear, and I was in constant pain - even without shoes - even while just laying in bed. There was no way I could have even tried on a shoe with a heal without screaming. I was able to wear a few pairs of higher heeled shoes if they had a wedge in the front, but they had to be just right.

The first night after the surgery, after the numbness wore off, the pain was unbearable and the Vicodin barely made a dent. I couldn't put any weight on the foot at all. I had to crawl to the bathroom. The next day I started taking 600 milligrams of ibuprofen every 6 hours and that helped more than the Vicodin. I kept the shoe on 24/7 - even slept in it. I had my foot elevated all the time. After a few days I was able to walk a bit an put a little weight on that foot.

Fast forward to 4 weeks. Still constant pain and still wearing the shoe. Very discouraging. I was doing the exercises the doctor gave me - manually moving the joint back and forth, but could barely get it to move. Went back to the doctor and he said I should go to physical therapy. I told him I would rather do my own at home - PT has always seemed like a rip off in my opinion. I went to Walgreens and bought a portable foot soaking whirlpool thing. I started soaking my foot in it, then taking it out and working the toe, then ice, then back in the foot bath, then ice again. I did this a few times a day. I think that really helped to break up the scar tissue that was starting to form and that was keeping the joint from moving. A few days later I decided to try on a shoe that I was wearing before I had the surgery - even before I had the original problem. It was a short boot with a 1 1/2 inch heel - no wedge. It hurt at first. The first day I wore it for a few hours and was in pain with a lot of swelling when I took it off. I iced the foot right away. The next day I wore it for several hours and even walked through the mall!! When I took it off, it didn't hurt and was only a little swollen. I decided that the best exercise to do if I want to make sure I can start wearing normal shoes some day is to actually put on the shoes I want to wear. I need to train the joint to move. This seems to be working. I still have pain and swelling when I manipulate the joint, but putting on shoes does not make it worse - it actually helps. Last night I decided to try and wear an actual pair of more dressy high heels. I was not optimistic, but thought I would give it a try. I managed to squeeze my swollen foot into a pair of fairly dressy 2 inch heels. I stood up and to my surprise I felt fine. I walked downstairs to show my husband and still no pain! I am so optimistic now. Now I truly believe that when the swelling finally goes down and the pain of the implant subsides, I will be able to wear any shoe I want, and will finally be pain free. I know it will be months before the swelling goes completely down. I had surgery to remove bone spurs 4 years ago and it took months for the swelling to go down, so I'm sure it will be months for this, too. All I can tell you is that you MUST work through the pain to get the joint to move. Mine still doesn't move any where near as much as the joint on my good toe, but it moves enough for what I need. I am thrilled!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 26,388 times
I know this is an old topic but I just joined and thought I'd chime in. I had my left big toe joint replaced in 1998 and it is still going strong. My podiatrist (who did the surgery) says I am the most successful. And now he doesn't do the joint replacements but fusions instead. I need my right toe fixed, live alone, and I can't "do" a fusion as I can't handle 3 months with no weight bearing. I hope he will re-consider and do the joint replacement as the healing time/pain was minimal.

I've also had both thumb joints replaced successfully and have no pain there any more (not by the podiatrist LOL).

Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 81,942 times
June 2010, my large toe joint was replaced with a Silastic joint. I have been doing power walking for 1/2 hour each day with no discomfort. I’d like to play tennis again. Am I asking for trouble? I’m 72. Is anyone else playing tennis with a Silastic joint?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 26,176 times
I'm 48 and was diagnosed with stage 1/2 colon cancer 4 years ago. Since it was borderline stage 2 they did 7 chemo treatments, which are not fun by the way, and trying to keep active I was jogging a little as the exhaustion of the last treament faded. Anyhow I stubbed my toe while jogging and that's when it began. The Dr's in Singapore first though it was gout but after blood tests decided on osteo arthritis which set in because of the injury.

So now I'm stuck with a bad big toe trying to stay active to keep the cancer away, and now after reading this I at least know there is hope but I've only now been at my dream job for about 6 months and would hate to miss a lot of work being a newby short timer. The bone spur on the top of the joint is getting bigger and is on fire most of the time now and I walk with a limp, It feels fine in Nike Air tennis shoes but I can only wear those on Friday.

I will find a Dr. very soon but can anyone tell me honestly how long is too long to wait to have something done? I would like to wait until early 2013 when things are slow and I've been here at least a year. It's not mandatory just the way I feel. Luckily I have 5 weeks of vacation I could use, any thoughts?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 26,146 times
I had my toe joint replaced on both my feet just over a year ago with a titanium joint. I was walking with the ugly boots the day of surgery.......had to use a walker, too. Ditched the walker the 2nd day. I had pain for the first couple of days, but not unbearable. Vicodin makes me itch, so I just alternated tylenol and advil every two hours and it kept me comfortable. A year later, my feet still swell when I'm on them a lot, but that's the only down side. All in, I'm glad I did it!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 26,103 times
It just so happens I also may have to have my toe joint replaced. The Dr won't know until he gets in there. He is removing a bunion and if the cartlidge is no good he will use the artificial joint. He said they last forever. The recovery will take time. The first week I will not be able to walk on it at all. Then I will go back and will be given a boot to start walking in. There can be swelling off and on for a year. My toe is very painful the way it is. I am actually looking forward to getting this toe fixed and end the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness