Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times

Advertisements

Today bought an aloe Vera stalk, or branch, or whatever you call it. I understand the sap inisde is good for skin condiitons, such as psoraisis. Problem is, I don't know how to use it.

I guess you just cut it open and use the sap as it comes out. problem is, this is a big thing, about 2 ft long. If I cut it open, I only need a small amount at a time. Do you milk all the sap out and store it, or can you just cut parts of the plant off and use a small amount at a time/ Should you store it in the fridge?

I have rather severe psoraisis on my lower legs. I've been to dermatologists, use cortisone cream, coal tar gells, other topical onitments, with moderate success. Seems it always comes back, regardless of what i use.

I tried some goat's milksoap, found it helps a great deal. I'd like to give this Aloe Vera plant a try, any suggestions, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Just cut a tip off and squeeze the juice out thats it, yes you can cut what you need each time.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 PM

130 posts, read 902,800 times
I'll make a better suggestion if you don't mind.
Coconut oil.

Go to your local health food store ..... if you want the best get organic and cold pressed, extra virgin.

If you're not near a health food store you can find it online easily.
People have had much success with it for all sorts of skin conditions including psoriasis.

I have a 78 year old friend who had a terrible skin condition on his face.
I don't know if it was psoriasis but it was red and crusty and he had this condition for years and tried both prescription and over the counter treatments and nothing worked.
The coconut oil cleared up his condition and his skin is clear 3 years later.
It's inexpensive, easy to find and easy to use.

My favorite brand is Bright Earth Foods (but if the health food store doesn't carry that brand they will have others that will be just as good) and a 14 oz jar costs about 9 dollars and will last a long time.
I just use it for dry skin and it's wonderful.

You don't need to get a cocounut oil product marketed for skin care, cosmetic use, etc.

And I just googled "coconut oil for Psoriasis".

CoconutOilforPsoriasis

There are some good articles and testimonies regarding the use of coconut oil and some people have used it internally and well as topically.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
Since it's only a stalk, not a live plant it may stay fresher if you put it in the fridge.

My mom doesn't have Psoriasis but had some very slow healing wounds on her legs. She used raw honey under a compress after they started to scab, seemed to help the healing process.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
You ought to get a plant. Properly cared for, they grow like crazy and you will always have aloe at hand.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I just found this at a farmer's market today, thought to give it a try. I've done everything else, nothing seems to relieve the psoraisis, might as well try it.

If it does work, I might consider getting a plant for the backyard!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Hey, I tried the Aloe plant, it seems to have helped already! In about an hour, the psoraisis itching went away, and the skin turned from a deep purple color to a light pink. The best thing is, it doesn't sting or smell bad. Just about everything I've tried for psoraisis stings like crazy, or it has an awful odor.

I'm going back tomorrow to buy more of that plant. I just hope it continues to help, not just a one-time-wonder!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireeskye View Post
I'll make a better suggestion if you don't mind.
Coconut oil.
Go to your local health food store ..... if you want the best get organic and cold pressed, extra virgin.

If you're not near a health food store you can find it online easily.
People have had much success with it for all sorts of skin conditions including psoriasis.

I have a 78 year old friend who had a terrible skin condition on his face.
I don't know if it was psoriasis but it was red and crusty and he had this condition for years and tried both prescription and over the counter treatments and nothing worked.
The coconut oil cleared up his condition and his skin is clear 3 years later.
It's inexpensive, easy to find and easy to use.

My favorite brand is Bright Earth Foods (but if the health food store doesn't carry that brand they will have others that will be just as good) and a 14 oz jar costs about 9 dollars and will last a long time.
I just use it for dry skin and it's wonderful.

You don't need to get a cocounut oil product marketed for skin care, cosmetic use, etc.

And I just googled "coconut oil for Psoriasis".

CoconutOilforPsoriasis

There are some good articles and testimonies regarding the use of coconut oil and some people have used it internally and well as topically.
Thanks also for this suggestion! I might pick some up next time I'm at a health food store.

For right now, the aloe vera plant seems to be doing wonders! Its remarkable how much its improved just since last night! The scaling is gone, the itch is gone, and the color has turned from a dull purple to a light pink!

I'd read about using an aloe vera plant but never tried it, just found some stalks the other day at a fruit market. I wasn't sure how to use it, I've never had one before. Basically, just cut a small piece off, the inside is a clear gel that doesn't drip out. Just rub it on, you can cut or peel back the skin. I wrapped up the cut end with saran wrap and put it in the fridge, it really seems to do the trick. If I could get relief from this damned psoraisis anything would be worth it!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Definitely get a plant. They are very easy to grow. I don't know where you live but I see them at Target, Home Depot, etc. Just put it in a pot, water, little fertilizer, and you have a fresh supply.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Both Aloe Vera and Coconut oil are good for psoriasis. I would use both, they won't conflict with each other if you space it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness