Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 520 times

Advertisements

I am an NJ resident and have health insurance through my employer.

I went to an in-network urgent care (CityMD, part of Summit Health) with acute back pain, and the doctor at urgent care did an immediate CT Scan ("stat" CT Scan).

After the visit, they did a retroactive pre-authorization for the CT Scan to Aetna who have denied it. So Aetna wont cover the CT Scan or the radiology fee. The radiologist has tried to bill Aetna who have denied this already. CityMD hasn't tried billing Aetna for the CT Scan facility fee itself so far. But based on my experience with Summit Health, they will.

As per the rules of my plan, if I go to an in-network provider, the provider is responsible for getting pre-authorization for all procedures and they can't bill me for services provided if pre-authorization is denied.

However as part of registering at the urgent care facility, I had to sign an electronic legal agreement before they would see me. As part of this agreement, the patient is liable for paying all non-covered services. I have checked with Aetna and my HR and the blanket statement is that "patient is liable if there is a separate agreement signed with the provider"

So the question is - Can CityMD come after me with an inflated CT Scan bill even though insurance has denied this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 11:53 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Did you sign a form indicating that you were responsible for the cost?

Old 02-23-2024, 12:17 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
sounds like you signed an agreement making you responsible. Try to lowery your cost to what Medicare pays for these services.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:28 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sounds like you signed an agreement making you responsible. Try to lowery your cost to what Medicare pays for these services.
how is the poster going to lower the cost to what medicare would pay?

Old 02-23-2024, 04:57 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
how is the poster going to lower the cost to what medicare would pay?
It doesn't sound to me like the OP has a Medicare plan. Only mentions that it is an employer plan.

Non-Medicare employer group insurance usually requires pre-authorization for certain services, similar to Medicare Advantage. But active employees generally are not going to have a Medicare plan available to them through their employer. A few (usually larger legacy-type employers) may offer a group Medicare plan to their eligible retirees.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:45 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
If all provider claim requests are denied by the insurer, the OP can file an appeal. Many employer sponsored health and welfare plans are subject to federal laws, not state insurance laws.

The summary plan description provided to all participants should provide the claim appeal procedure.

If the appeals process fails, you can usually negotiate with the service provider to pay them what the insurance plan would have paid them. This is usually considerably less than the full billed amount.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:53 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) includes provisions that aim to protect consumers from certain insurance practices, including denying coverage for emergency services. Under the ACA, insurance companies are generally prohibited from denying coverage for emergency medical services, including emergency imaging procedures, based on factors such as pre-existing conditions or the lack of prior authorization. However, specific coverage details can vary depending on the individual insurance plan and state regulations. It's always a good idea to review your insurance policy or consult with your insurance provider to understand your coverage rights and limitations regarding emergency services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance