Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 01:32 PM

149 posts, read 151,661 times

Advertisements

Am I able to get Social Security disability? Im 59 years old. I have 2 stents and an efraction rate of 35 percent. Also ulcerative colitis that put me in the hospital twice last year and lost 35 pounds. I also have anemia at 10.7 and my PCP wrote on my chart that i have depression. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 02:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbound621 View Post
Am I able to get Social Security disability? Im 59 years old. I have 2 stents and an efraction rate of 35 percent. Also ulcerative colitis that put me in the hospital twice last year and lost 35 pounds. I also have anemia at 10.7 and my PCP wrote on my chart that i have depression. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks

First, log in, or setup access to your personal ss data at www.socialsecurity.gov
it will tell you if you are eligible. You will need some semi recent work experience. You can apply online, and likely upload supporting documents. When I lived overseas, I was amazed at how many of the so called California's, were actually new England's, who strategically moved to and worked in CA for a few years to apply for SSI. Seems like they were just given the money to go away. They had friends, who accommodated the mail, but staying disabled was relatively easy. Pretty disgusting...they were diagnosed with things like anxiety..and used attorneys that specialized in ssi claims.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:34 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
If the SSAdmin turns down your request for disability then hire one of the many law firms specializing in such cases. In rural areas like Appalachia getting on disability is a cottage industry; billboards advertise for lawyers who pursue such cases. The percentage of people on disability in rural areas is twice the percentage for people in the inner cities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-22-2023, 06:54 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Am I able to get Social Security disability?
You won't know that until you apply for it.

Generally, you need to be medically or physically disabled to the extent that you cannot perform any job duties. Your doctors, of course, will have to back you up.

It often takes a year or two to qualify.

Check out the first few search results.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&q=ssdi&ia=web

It would be a good idea to talk to a social security lawyer first.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:25 AM

149 posts, read 151,661 times
I already filed...I guess I'm looking for a social security expert here

Old 12-23-2023, 03:11 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
I already filed
Should have said that up front.

Quote:
I guess I'm looking for a social security expert here
I'm no expert but I was able to follow a case where the person was just a few years older than you and had a variety of physical and medical conditions, including Cancer.

Still, it took two years and an attorney before she was awarded SSDI.

All I can say is wait for the decision. If you get denied, then get a social security attorney and you may eventually get awarded SSDI benefits retroactively to the date that the SSA determines what your date of disability was.

Old 12-24-2023, 03:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
Do not even think about it until you talk to a ssi disiblity lawyer, their fees are capped and you will never win without a lawyer.
If you have filed go to the lawyer and let them file for you and keep in mind it will take a few years to get your case heard but you get back pay from the filing date if you win.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:07 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
IMHO, based on your age, low ejection fraction and other significant impairments, you should win your claim at the initial stage. If not, I'm willing to bet my house you will win when you reach the age of 60. Hang in there.

Old 02-10-2024, 12:12 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
It also depends on your educational level and what type of work you did previously. A construction worker would be more likely to get it with your disability than a professional that sits all day.,

Old 02-10-2024, 01:59 PM

2,004 posts, read 864,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
IMHO, based on your age, low ejection fraction and other significant impairments, you should win your claim at the initial stage. If not, I'm willing to bet my house you will win when you reach the age of 60. Hang in there.
Don't bet your house unless the person applying has worked 5 out of the last 10 yrs? It isn't handed out if a person hasn't been employed. SS disability is an insurance policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
View detailed profiles of: