Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 07:19 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,711,670 times

Advertisements

I know Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids (which I now need ). SAMBA covers about $1000 towards them. Anyone know of an FEHB plan with better hearing aid coverage?

I’m turning 65 in March. If I sign up for Medicare in May, when would I have to start paying premiums? I’m not beginning Social Security until 2022.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 11:40 PM

492 posts, read 406,657 times
Costco sells excellent, very affordable hearing aids.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
You should analyze how significant your hearing loss is before you make a decision. Pay for a hearing test, at an independent audiologist. If you have severe to profound loss, I would avoid Costco. For a slight to moderate loss, they are okay.

Two reasons: First, with a profound loss, you really need the expertise of a good audie. They have the knowledge to get you the right aid, and adjust it properly. And second, with a severe/profound loss, you need a hearing aid that can do more than just amplify the sound. You may need advanced features to make the most of what hearing you have left. And while Costco sells some decent aids, I have found the combo of excellent aids and great audiologists is a combo rarely found at Costco.

An independent audie, who sells multiple brands (Phonak, Starkey, etc), is usually your best bet for severe loss.

I am not an audie. I have a profound loss, and after using several "retail" hearing aid companies (Bisel, Costco), I am now happy using a dedicated audiologist. I pay a little more, but I can hear. You would be stunned at the difference.

But again, if your loss is moderate, just typical early-stage old-age type loss, Costco is fine.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,535,268 times
I got hearing aids in March 2020. I did not go to Costco because I wanted to see an audiologist. I got quite expensive hearing aids, and I am glad I did. I don’t have major loss, but I could not hear the TV at normal level. Also I had trouble with low talkers. The audiologist is worth it to me. Medicare Advantage paid some towards it, and actually said who to go to. I have moved since then, and have found a very good audio.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:49 AM

23,875 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I got hearing aids in March 2020. I did not go to Costco because I wanted to see an audiologist. I got quite expensive hearing aids, and I am glad I did. I don’t have major loss, but I could not hear the TV at normal level. Also I had trouble with low talkers. The audiologist is worth it to me. Medicare Advantage paid some towards it, and actually said who to go to. I have moved since then, and have found a very good audio.

Hearing the TV is easily fixed, buy a blue tooth headset to hold you over until you can't hear during a conversation.

When my hubs hearing tanked, he went to miracle ear, was happy there. I never see anyone mention miracle ear. We don't have costco.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:37 AM

536 posts, read 482,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I know Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids (which I now need ). SAMBA covers about $1000 towards them. Anyone know of an FEHB plan with better hearing aid coverage?

I’m turning 65 in March. If I sign up for Medicare in May, when would I have to start paying premiums? I’m not beginning Social Security until 2022.

Thanks!
GEHA Standard and High give you $2500 I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance