Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 03:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
It is quite possible to live without health insurance. Tell any doctor, dentist, or hospital you go to that you are self-pay and ask for a discount. They will charge you their cash rates...
That's great IF you don't have a bad accident, stroke, heart attack or get cancer or get flesh eating bacteria or have a sudden need for an organ transplant or get pneumonia and are hospitalized for a two weeks or even get appendicitis. Any of those can result in medical bills well over $100,000.

And if you don't have the money to pay up front you might not get the needed chemo or organ transplant or care that you need. In those cases you hope you don't die before Jan 1st of the following year when you can enroll in health insurance for the next period so that you can start chemo or have surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:34 PM

363 posts, read 350,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What are other people supposed to do? People who aren't of their religion?

They can make other arrangements. All sorts of plans limit enrollment to certain groups.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I've been told by my insurance company I will never find insurance if I ever decide to drop my insurance because of my medical conditions like Diabetes and on blood thinner for rest my life. I'm 59 and I have had people call me too try to sell me insurance but when I told them about my health conditions they would hang up. I pay 375.00 a month and it looks like I'm getting a deal compared to other people on here.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:34 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
That's great IF you don't have a bad accident, stroke, heart attack or get cancer or get flesh eating bacteria or have a sudden need for an organ transplant or get pneumonia and are hospitalized for a two weeks or even get appendicitis. Any of those can result in medical bills well over $100,000.

And if you don't have the money to pay up front you might not get the needed chemo or organ transplant or care that you need. In those cases you hope you don't die before Jan 1st of the following year when you can enroll in health insurance for the next period so that you can start chemo or have surgery.
I am merely presenting other options that are available. It's up to each person to decide what's best for them. If you are healthy and not accident-prone, it can be a good bet. And then there are health-sharing ministries which take care of most of those bills, though, depending on what level of membership you have.

BTW, hospitals, doctors, etc. will set up a payment plan for you so you can pay over time, if you want. The key, of course, is to state you are self-pay and ask for their CASH rate with discount (NOT the insurance rate).

Old 12-26-2019, 06:24 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thing is, they are not practicing Christians. They don’t observe religious services, belong to a church, etc. they are good people, don’t smoke, just drink socially, but looking at the ministries websites, I don’t think they qualify.
Unless they are atheists, they should be OK with Liberty. I just completed a dummy app - no questions whatsoever on church membership, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Liberty is almost secular, and only requires shared belief in a deity and a desire to help others, not membership in any particular church. However their plan specifically excludes coverage for “sinful†health issues, smoking, alcohol, drugs, crimes, STDs, etc.
Anyone with common sense - other than an atheist - should be able to adhere to these - from the Liberty website:
Quote:
From the Liberty website:
Observe Christian Standards
  • Strive to live in accordance with biblical principles
  • Honor the biblical teaching to ‘share one another’s burdens’ (Gal. 6:2)
  • Participate regularly in worship or prayer
Accept Our Shared Beliefs
  • We believe that our personal rights and liberties originate from God and are bestowed on us by God, and are not concessions granted to us by governments or men.
  • We believe every individual has a fundamental religious right to worship the God of the Bible in his or her own way.
  • We believe it is our biblical and ethical obligation to assist our fellow man when they are in need according to our available resources and opportunity.
  • We believe it is our spiritual duty to God and our ethical duty to others to maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid foods, behaviors or habits that produce sickness or disease to ourselves or others.
  • We believe it is our fundamental right of conscience to direct our own healthcare, in consultation with physicians, family or other valued advisors, free from government dictates, restraints and oversight.
Maintain a Christian Lifestyle
  • Refrain from tobacco use in any form.
  • Follow scriptural teachings on the use or abuse of alcohol.
  • Avoid abuse of prescription drugs, which means consuming prescription medications in a manner not intended by the prescriber that would likely result in bodily harm or dependency.
  • Abstain from the abuse of legal drugs or use of illegal drugs including, any hallucinogenic substance, barbiturates, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin or other opiates, marijuana, illegal intravenous drugs, or narcotics.
  • Exercise regularly and eat healthy foods that do not harm the body.
https://www.libertyhealthshare.org/do-i-qualify
In other words, be a good person, try to help others, and take care of your health.

One doesn't have to attend church to be a good person and follow "Christian" principles. Although I've been raised as a Lutheran and have always maintained a membership in a Protestant church, I also believe there are many paths to God, all of them recognized by God - and there is no one true 'religion.' If there were, billions of people are left out, and I do not believe that God would doom billions. Certainly Judaism is the foundation of Christianity. Doesn't appear to me from the app I completed that being Jewish would be a preclusion.

I would suggest son and dil look into Liberty. If their answers to the application q's are unacceptable, so be it, but they should at least try.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've been told by my insurance company I will never find insurance if I ever decide to drop my insurance because of my medical conditions like Diabetes and on blood thinner for rest my life. I'm 59 and I have had people call me too try to sell me insurance but when I told them about my health conditions they would hang up. I pay 375.00 a month and it looks like I'm getting a deal compared to other people on here.
That's not a deal, its a goldmine! NEVER let that policy drop!

Old 12-26-2019, 11:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's not a deal, its a goldmine! NEVER let that policy drop!
Seriously. I don't have anything wrong with me and I'll soon be paying $850 a month for a the cheapest bronze plan in California. It's an HMO, which I hate, with a $6700 deductible. I'm paying over $10k a year for not using it, for the benefit of paying up to $6700 more if I do need it before they start kicking in. I'm absolutely fine with a catastrophic plan, but not at this price.

If anyone tries to justify this please imagine my fist coming through your computer screen.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
This is the problem with being self-employed, and buying insurance on the health exchanges. For 3 people, we pay about $1500/month with about an 8k per person deductible, 16k for the family. That mean that if no one gets sick, we pay 18K/yr. And if anyone gets sick, we could have medical expenses of about 35K for the year.

The fact is, we can afford it. It's not fun, but we can afford it. But if our income were as little as 80K, I don't think we'd get a subsidy. Then, the simple fact is, we could NOT afford it. I totally understand families in their situation dropping the insurance.

We need medical insurance for all paid for by taxes. Currently, those who qualify for medicaid get 100 percent coverage. Those who are on Medicare are covered. Those who are employed are mostly covered. Those who are eligible for a subsidy, or lie about their income in order to be eligible for a subsidy, are covered. But those who make more than the threshold for a subsidy cannot afford insurance.
Just for some perspective, my husband and I are self employed but we didn't buy on the health exchange - the premiums were significantly higher than we could find elsewhere and we don't qualify for any subsidies either.

Like you said, it's not fun to pay the insurance costs ($1100 a month, plus a $6750 each deductible). But like you also said, we can afford it. The vast majority of people can afford insurance costs, but of course it's a very boring way to spend money.

I agree that we need a complete system overhaul but I do not agree that we should have "Medicare for all." I've experienced government provided health care in foreign countries. I firmly believe that Americans generally would not want to compromise on care in order to have government funded healthcare. We are used to our private rooms, and immediate access for any sort of medical issue - at any age - for starters.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:05 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just for some perspective, my husband and I are self employed but we didn't buy on the health exchange - the premiums were significantly higher than we could find elsewhere and we don't qualify for any subsidies either.

Like you said, it's not fun to pay the insurance costs ($1100 a month, plus a $6750 each deductible). But like you also said, we can afford it. The vast majority of people can afford insurance costs, but of course it's a very boring way to spend money.

I agree that we need a complete system overhaul but I do not agree that we should have "Medicare for all." I've experienced government provided health care in foreign countries. I firmly believe that Americans generally would not want to compromise on care in order to have government funded healthcare. We are used to our private rooms, and immediate access for any sort of medical issue - at any age - for starters.
I'd be okay with emergency care for all, and concierge plans or pay as you go for everything else. And by emergency care, I don't mean just showing up in the ER. I mean an actual list of "things that qualify as emergencies."

Like chest pain, suspected broken bones, high fever, breathing problems, being brought in from a violent crime (including rape), unconsciousness, etc.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'd be okay with emergency care for all, and concierge plans or pay as you go for everything else. And by emergency care, I don't mean just showing up in the ER. I mean an actual list of "things that qualify as emergencies."

Like chest pain, suspected broken bones, high fever, breathing problems, being brought in from a violent crime (including rape), unconsciousness, etc.
I personally believe we need to get insurance companies and their profit margins out of the picture. Well, in Switzerland everyone is required to carry health insurance, but the health insurance companies are required to be non profit. Average cost for a family is under $500 a month with about a $2500 deductible. Oh how I wish we would require health insurance companies to be non profit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance