Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 AM

421 posts, read 392,320 times

Advertisements

I will be needing to pick up ACA coverage this fall. How much ahead of time do I need to give them to have a start date of 10/1/2019? As my coverage will end leaving my home state for the move. I am under an individual policy there (a grandmothered plan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM

228 posts, read 261,086 times
When I asked this question in Washington state, I was told that I had to apply for the policy at least several days prior to the first of the month I wanted coverage for. Other plans can provide coverage retroactive to the first of the month, but not the ACA, at least in my state (Washington).

First, I would encourage you to contact the health authority in your state to verify any information you read here. Second, assume that you should have an online application submitted several weeks before Oct 1st.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I will be needing to pick up ACA coverage this fall. How much ahead of time do I need to give them to have a start date of 10/1/2019? As my coverage will end leaving my home state for the move. I am under an individual policy there (a grandmothered plan).
You have decided you won't or can't have another job before then? You haven't explained circumstances but ACA plans need to have some kind of income.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM

215 posts, read 259,236 times
Default It’s annual income

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You have decided you won't or can't have another job before then? You haven't explained circumstances but ACA plans need to have some kind of income.
They use annual income on the application so if you have earned enough in the YTD you qualify. This resets each new year. When we moved to a new state without jobs this is what we did.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:35 AM

421 posts, read 392,320 times
I am retired and my unearned retirement income is too high to qualify for any subsidies on ACA. My current insurance is an individual plan in Iowa but I have to maintain an Iowa address to get it. So moving to AZ will stop that policy.

I am planning to take the least expensive HSA eligible ACA plan in AZ which looks to cost about $850 a month for someone my age. I will need to take that for 12 months until I qualify for Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance