Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:06 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

I have friends who retired in their mid-50s because they were having health problems. Prior to the ACA, they were not insurable due to pre-existing conditions.

My guess is they will soon lose their insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 04:17 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Heh - did they vote against their own best interests and vote for Trump??

Old 11-09-2016, 06:07 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I am more concerned about picking a plan on the exchange and then having it be cancelled, along with the subsidies, in the middle of the year.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I wonder if we'll end up back where we used to be with so many uninsured people. If he takes health insurance away he has no plan to replace it that I know of. Maybe the individual states will take over.

Here in MA, before the ACA we had Romney Care. Romney had been our governor and he was good! He gave us a statewide health plan. I don't remember how it worked but it seemed to work pretty well for the short time that we had it.

Maybe the more progressive states will do something like that. I just read that CA has come out with something saying that they are looking into what they can do to keep things the way they are for their people. They said that people who live there won't have to worry because the state will step up to the plate and that just because an election happened that did not reflect the way they voted, doesn't mean that the people will suffer.

MA had its own health plan. I think CT may have had its own health plan too. Maybe Vermont had one? These are progressive states that care about their residents so MAYBE they will come up with something on the idea of what CA is proposing.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder if we'll end up back where we used to be with so many uninsured people. If he takes health insurance away he has no plan to replace it that I know of. Maybe the individual states will take over.

Here in MA, before the ACA we had Romney Care. Romney had been our governor and he was good! He gave us a statewide health plan. I don't remember how it worked but it seemed to work pretty well for the short time that we had it.

Maybe the more progressive states will do something like that. I just read that CA has come out with something saying that they are looking into what they can do to keep things the way they are for their people. They said that people who live there won't have to worry because the state will step up to the plate and that just because an election happened that did not reflect the way they voted, doesn't mean that the people will suffer.

MA had its own health plan. I think CT may have had its own health plan too. Maybe Vermont had one? These are progressive states that care about their residents so MAYBE they will come up with something on the idea of what CA is proposing.
For the record I think VT tried to implement its own health care system similar to Romney care, but ultimately scraped the idea.

To my knowledge CT had a pilot program around 2011/2012 for govt subsidized health care (similar to Romney Care) that was administered by Aetna. IOW, Aetna did the paperwork, but didn't sign members up or set policy. After one year Aetna bailed saying they couldn't turn a profit.

I think CT tried for one more year, but then closed the program because ObamaCare was created. (I think the pilot program as called something like Charter Oak healthcare) they even had a small office in downtown Hartford.

As for what comes after the ACA (which I believe will be repealed) I think we will see everyone in HSA type policies. IMO Americans and American politicians have a fascination with "people having skin in the game" and/or "people paying their fair share" but never think how this will effect the low income people in our society. For example, how is someone making the CT minimum wage of $9.60 per hour going to pay their fare share? And how much is that share ? They along with other members of society are already paying sales taxes, fica taxes, and fuel taxes (if they drive), to name only a few.

High HSA type policies, high copay's, and high deductibles will only discourage people from seeking healthcare until and unless its some type of emergency that can't be ignored. That ultimately will lead to higher costs though since its easier to treat a disease at its beginning stage instead of the middle or end stages. Diabetes type II is one great example.

Last edited by MrGompers; 11-10-2016 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: updated CT minimum wage

Old 11-10-2016, 01:20 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
I will welcome anything that lowers my monthly premium after it got jacked up by ACA (up 123% from less than 2 yrs ago). What we have right now is unsustainable to just throw the cost of this whole thing on people from 22-64 who are self-employed, independent contractors, or early retirees, but make too much to get any subsidy. You can make just $40k in an expensive state like WA right now and get no subsidy and take the full hit of the ObamaCare premium which comes with a massive deductible.

Whatever they do the costs needs to spread out so self-employed people below 65 are not targeted with huge premiums.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The ACA was modeled after RomneyCare. It's still in effect. Maybe we will all turn to state-run health care.
RomneyCare: What is RomneyCare?

Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Thinking about what happens to Obamacare under the context of the sound defeating of Colorado care in this election. People turned down 3% employee tax with a 7% emplower tax to get a non deductible no copay policy. What the hell do people expect to pay? We non subsidized folks would give up a body part for something so good as that plan, yet it was voted down by 80 percent of the people.

No matter how good the replacement of Obamacare will be, people will just ***** and moan about it.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:42 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Thinking about what happens to Obamacare under the context of the sound defeating of Colorado care in this election. People turned down 3% employee tax with a 7% emplower tax to get a non deductible no copay policy. What the hell do people expect to pay? We non subsidized folks would give up a body part for something so good as that plan, yet it was voted down by 80 percent of the people.

No matter how good the replacement of Obamacare will be, people will just ***** and moan about it.
Right now people making below say $30k a year should like OC because they get the big fat subsidies paid for with "someone else's" money. The problem is for people making over $40k a year (at least in my state of WA) is you get NO subsidy and pay the full cost. And that cost has gone up significantly for self-employed people not yet the age to be eligible for medicare. I don't think it's fair to throw self-employed middle class people under the bus with huge premiums to pay for poor people to get free insurance. Self employed people can be struggling financially in states with sky high cost of living yet be forced to pay the full cost of OC because they make over $40k a year. Even $35k gets you almost no subsidy where I live.

People who work for the Gov't, a company that covers them, get medicare/medicaid, or the military are fine since their company or the Government subsidizes their health costs. It's middle class self-employed people that really got killed by OC.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:52 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Thinking about what happens to Obamacare under the context of the sound defeating of Colorado care in this election. People turned down 3% employee tax with a 7% emplower tax to get a non deductible no copay policy. What the hell do people expect to pay?
Sounds as if it was a poorly written proposition, though. Supporters claim to be coming back next year with a better written one.

“We’re grateful to the people of Colorado for carefully considering Amendment 69 and voting overwhelmingly against a measure that was clearly risky, untested, and fiscally irresponsible,” Kelly Brough, president and CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce and chair of opposition group Coloradans for Coloradans, said in a statement.
ColoradoCare measure Amendment 69 defeated soundly – The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance