Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:38 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,799,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The best quality medical care in the world is irrelevant to someone who cannot afford it.

Look, I'd like to strike a balance between quality of care and coverage. I do agree medicaid reimbursement rates are so low it probably would drive some healthcare providers right out of business.

What most of us can't figure out though is why universal health care is such a difficult proposition in the USA when you find it in all of Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and even Taiwan. Something just doesn't add up.
In my opinion, the difference is that Americans will not accept the realities of those healthcare systems. Waiting months for non-emergent CT scans. Waiting months for elective surgery. Waiting for everything that is not emergent. Americans want it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 05:23 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,853,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
In my opinion, the difference is that Americans will not accept the realities of those healthcare systems. Waiting months for non-emergent CT scans. Waiting months for elective surgery. Waiting for everything that is not emergent. Americans want it now.
That's when you need to pull out your own money, which moves you ahead of everyone else.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:50 PM

484 posts, read 564,703 times
Quote:
I agree with Southernnaturelover, if there was something you wanted faster than you could get it through the healthcare system's normal channels, you'd work on how to pay for it yourself. In most of the countries of Western Europe there is the regular healthcare system, and then there is the private pay pathway. Those who have the means and don't want to wait for something like elective surgery have the option to pay for it themselves. We already have concierge practices in different parts of the country. In NYC there are more than a few non-concierge primary care practices that don't accept any form of coverage -- if you come to them, you pay with credit cards. I don't see that changing.

What I would like to see change as soon as possible is situations like that faced by the OP. Working people in this country should be able to either qualify for Medicaid or be allowed to purchase coverage on their state's Exchange.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,894 posts, read 81,948,355 times
We have insurance, it costs me about $150/month and my employer about $1,500/month. It's high deductible with health savings account, and when my wife stayed overnight in the hospital (with MRI and more) we ended up with bills of about $6,000. It's just the new normal since the ACA. We paid about half, then since the provider offers no interest payments, are paying $250/month on the balance. Just call them and ask about a payment plan.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 PM

19,227 posts, read 27,863,523 times
http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/Surviv...evaluation.pdf

Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM

19,227 posts, read 27,863,523 times
For each of the charges on this bill, an insurance company has a schedule which shows the already agreed* upon price the hospital is willing to accept. You don't know what those prices are. If you were were an insurance company with a prior rate*agreement, here's what you'd do when you received that first bill:
1.Look over the bill, and disallow any charges that don't belong there;
2.Compare each remaining charge with your schedule, and replace the amount charged with
the correct price agreed to by contract;
3.Send a check for the revised amount.
Every hospital in the country, as near as I can tell, is running this dual* price scam. They will go to almost any lengths to avoid spilling the beans in open court. Sometimes even to the point of
forgiving your entire bill to the tune of thousands of dollars, if they can just avoid giving you any
solid evidence of their scheme.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,529,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Here are the billing amounts:

Proceedure Hospital Charge Ed Sim Lac 2.5 cm $562.00
Emergency Room visit $935.00
Tetnus, Dipth, $507.16
CT Scan Brain without contrast $4,207.00
CT Scan Spine without contrast $3,461.00
Lidocaine $8.80
Sub total $9,680.96

Grantor Adjustment -$3,944.38
Payment on night of visit -$600.00
Balance DUE $5,136.58

ER Physician $630.00
ER Tech Sutures $516.00

Diagnostics
CT Head/ Brain C Matr $197.00
CT Crv Spine C-Matrl $224.00

Total Balance Due on all bills: $6,703.58
-------------
It defies logic that people get stuck with such bills when there are healthcare systems all over the world that work just fine and are paid for through taxes,
no deductibles,
no co pays,
no caps,
no losing your coverage if you lose your job.
You are covered from cradle to grave period.
As an example in the last 6 months i've had the following procedures=
2 Doppler ultra sounds.
CT scan
.2 MIBI nuclear scan,one with stress one without.
Bone density scan.
2 MRIs
4 full blood tests
2 ECGs
Yeah i'm a sick puppy,however cost out of pocket? $0.00 cdn.
I cant believe people wouldnt prefer such a system.( Canadian eh)

Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,799,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It defies logic that people get stuck with such bills when there are healthcare systems all over the world that work just fine and are paid for through taxes,
no deductibles,
no co pays,
no caps,
no losing your coverage if you lose your job.
You are covered from cradle to grave period.
As an example in the last 6 months i've had the following procedures=
2 Doppler ultra sounds.
CT scan
.2 MIBI nuclear scan,one with stress one without.
Bone density scan.
2 MRIs
4 full blood tests
2 ECGs
Yeah i'm a sick puppy,however cost out of pocket? $0.00 cdn.
I cant believe people wouldnt prefer such a system.( Canadian eh)
How much do you and your fellow citizens pay in taxes?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,529,646 times
Shameful disregard for peoples medical needs in the pursuit of ever more money.
State purges 9,000 children from medical system in cost-saving overhaul | Tampa Bay Times

Old 12-07-2015, 09:06 AM

350 posts, read 419,225 times
Quote:
How much do you and your fellow citizens pay in taxes?
It is really a matter of where tax dollars are spent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance