Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:08 PM

379 posts, read 341,123 times

Advertisements

I'm self-employed, and the 2016 rates have me really thinking about not carrying insurance. Raised my deductible to just over $6000 from $3750, very high co-pay and generally awful coverage for everything, and it's going up from $202 to $252.

It sounds like people have just been getting refund money withheld for non-compliance, anyone had to pay the fine without a refund being in play? Seems like the thing to do is just withhold aggressively so you don't have a refund they can attach for the penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,670,874 times
So far, IRS can't come after you for noncompliance other than hold back a refund. In reality, the penalty is unenforceable.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,141,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
I'm self-employed, and the 2016 rates have me really thinking about not carrying insurance. Raised my deductible to just over $6000 from $3750, very high co-pay and generally awful coverage for everything, and it's going up from $202 to $252.

It sounds like people have just been getting refund money withheld for non-compliance, anyone had to pay the fine without a refund being in play? Seems like the thing to do is just withhold aggressively so you don't have a refund they can attach for the penalty.
Are you a high user of your plan? $3024/year in premiums is sure a heck of a lot less expensive than the ER bill if you break your leg..or worse. If you are a high user, finding a plan with a lower out of pocket costs, but a bit higher premiums, would probably be more cost effective. If you are a low user, does the out of pocket costs matter if you aren't going to go to the doctor? Also, being self-employed, you get to deduct your premiums so, your net cost is about 1/2 of that. Then, if you do max out your plan, if you are within the 10% rule, you can deduct the costs above 10% of your AGI on your personal taxes----or better yet, get a HSA qualified plan, put money away into that either personally or through the business and write off every dime you put into that plan. If you are single, under 55, that is $3350 you can put into a HSA, totally tax free. That knock off ~$500 on your taxes depending on your tax bracket, so now that plan costs you about $84/month.....

Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 AM

26,908 posts, read 27,115,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
I'm self-employed, and the 2016 rates have me really thinking about not carrying insurance.
Since you're self employed, can't you deduct your premiums on your tax return? It's just not worth it to take the risk of being uninsured, IMO.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,082,425 times
Just make sure you don't have a refund...

When you do your January Estimated payment, Make sure it will be over the underpayment rules, but small enough that you Write a check for the final Taxes you have to pay.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM

379 posts, read 341,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Are you a high user of your plan? $3024/year in premiums is sure a heck of a lot less expensive than the ER bill if you break your leg..or worse. If you are a high user, finding a plan with a lower out of pocket costs, but a bit higher premiums, would probably be more cost effective. If you are a low user, does the out of pocket costs matter if you aren't going to go to the doctor? Also, being self-employed, you get to deduct your premiums so, your net cost is about 1/2 of that. Then, if you do max out your plan, if you are within the 10% rule, you can deduct the costs above 10% of your AGI on your personal taxes----or better yet, get a HSA qualified plan, put money away into that either personally or through the business and write off every dime you put into that plan. If you are single, under 55, that is $3350 you can put into a HSA, totally tax free. That knock off ~$500 on your taxes depending on your tax bracket, so now that plan costs you about $84/month.....
I hear what you're saying. I have been to the hospital twice in the past 25 years. Once for a broken hand that didn't result in any treatment or bill, and once for a kidney stone that cost me some $$ (but way, way under deductible) in 2010.

Thanks very much for expanding on the tax angle- I need to look into that more. Obviously that's a huge, huge difference.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:51 PM

957 posts, read 1,469,074 times
1) Obamacare plans are not tax deductible

2) Penalties for not getting health insurance will be enforced next year if there is no refund this year

Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
1) Obamacare plans are not tax deductible

2) Penalties for not getting health insurance will be enforced next year if there is no refund this year
They are if you are self-employed and do not get a subsidy....and if you get a subsidy-that is your deduction just paid through the year.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

957 posts, read 1,469,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
They are if you are self-employed and do not get a subsidy....and if you get a subsidy-that is your deduction just paid through the year.
I have friends who paid into Obamacare with no subsidy and it was not tax deductibe, they paid out of pocket and it was not deducted from tax

They were not self employed though

Old 10-14-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I have friends who paid into Obamacare with no subsidy and it was not tax deductibe, they paid out of pocket and it was not deducted from tax

They were not self employed though
The key is "self-employed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance