Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

I'll keep this short. We were poor before & now we are REALLY poor. If I get a better paying job then my health insurance goes up. IF the new job has good health insurance then that's another topic.
My wife has great benefits with her job, however it's only for her for two of us then we are not able to afford it. It's like the system is designed to keep the poor even more poor. You can't better yourself without paying out the arse for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachucodeOro View Post
I can't afford insurance might it be cheaper to take the penalty?
Be careful.
You Might Pay A Lot More Than $95 For Skipping Health Insurance : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 02-08-2015, 07:11 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Obamacare is not socialized medicine. It is a giant subsidy to the insurance companies. It is still better than nothing.
And better than what we had before. The ACA has also caused individual policies to increase astronomically. It was well intended and is good in theory, but will never be successful until politics have no bearing on access to health care.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:01 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,512 times
I'm in the same boat as the OP.
I have found my prescription drug on a Canada website costing WAY lower than anything I've seen. Has anyone purchased from a Canadian website? Why they can charge way less than the USA is beyond me.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP.
- You are the OP. Per this:
Quote:
I get insurance through my employer. Due to Obama, prices have risen so much that some things we had, we no longer have.
For the last 10 years I've paid $100 for a 90 day prescription through mail order.
Now in 2015 the price for the "generic" 90 day version is $400.

I can't possibly pay that.

Quote:
I have found my prescription drug on a Canada website costing WAY lower than anything I've seen. Has anyone purchased from a Canadian website? Why they can charge way less than the USA is beyond me.
Glad to hear you found an affordable source. Congress is beholden to BIG PHARMA - which is why Medicare cannot negotiate drug prices, and American citizens - whether on Medicare or not - are often forced to go outside the country for their medication. Same pill - no price gouging.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-19-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Why they can charge way less than the USA is beyond me.
You must have been living in a bubble because this is such common knowledge.

Canada negotiates with the pharmaceutical companies as a single buyer of all dispensed medications under their government plans. By combining the power of a single group of millions they get a much lower rate. Additionally it creates stabilization in prices.

In the United States of America, CONGRESS (those elected officials that are supposed to represent the citizens of the country) has prohibited the US government from negotiating drug prices on behalf of all medicare patients as a single entity covering millions. Congress has decided that the financial interest of the pharmaceutical companies are more important than you. Additionally, health care companies and health care insurance providers can not negotiate as a co-op, they can't ban together to get lower prices.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You must have been living in a bubble because this is such common knowledge.
Well, OP is in a red state. He began this thread because he was angry with Obamacare for raising his drug prices. The airwaves and newspapers in these red states are whole 'nother kettle of misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Congress has decided that the financial interest of the pharmaceutical companies are more important than you.
Yup. Congress is the culprit, here - and has been for decades.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, OP is in a red state. He began this thread because he was angry with Obamacare for raising his drug prices. The airwaves and newspapers in these red states are whole 'nother kettle of misinformation.

Yup. Congress is the culprit, here - and has been for decades.
I am just amazed at how so many call themselves intelligent individuals yet are about as stupid as a potato on some common knowledge subjects like pharmaceutical prices in the US. Where have these people been hiding? I can not accept that its due to brainwashing by politics, I honesty believe they are just dumb as a potato, no excuse, just plain old dumb idiots!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,504 times
Interesting,

Lost my doctor, retired due to obamacare, lost my plan, now paying almost twice what I was for similar coverage I needed for my family, but now my deductible is $6000. and was $2000. and monthly went from $563. to $972.00 What a deal, it sucks as I waited for over two hours at recent new doctors office. Sucks, PERIOD

Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE-BUSINESSES View Post
retired due to obamacare,
Can you clarify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance