Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,708,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Put it this way, how many times in your life have you had a medical need that would have been billed out at over $200,000? How many times did you go to the doctor last year? What were those visits for?

I've been researching some plans from a couple states so far, they have had plan choices with co-pays and without co-pays.
We are not talking about me. But if we were, yes, I have had those types of expenses in my family. But we are not talking about me.

We are talking about this young man.

This year, I have spent, out of pocket, over $8K thus far, and am scheduled for more tests next week, as well as more scans. So I have no idea how much I will end up spending. But that is not a problem for me, as I CHOSE a high deductible policy.

This young man is in an entirely different situation. I feel everyone should have some sort of insurance policy, if for no reason other than an unexpected trip to the ER. But when you are young, you can find yourself in circumstances where, even with a roommate, you have to scrape to pay your half of the rent, much less buy food.

I surely was young once and in graduate school, and had no health insurance . . . and maybe YOUR car insurance pays generously for hospitalization, but mine sure as heck DID NOT.

My recommendation to everyone, tho, is to have some type of insurance policy, even if only to GET YOU IN THE DOOR. Physicians do not want to take patients WITHOUT INSURANCE. That alone is a good reason to get a policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,166,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
SO HERE'S THE QUESTION: If I were an 18 to 30 year old and the ACA was just being implemented, why should I not just pay the low annual penalty rather than the higher health premium and when I was injured, I could then enroll? Are there any waiting periods or penalties for doing that?

Frat Boy Knocked Out Twice - YouTube

Motorcycle Crash & Fails Compilation 2013 #1 - YouTube

Best Skateboard Fail Compilation | RFV - YouTube

Best Fails of the Week 1 August 2013 || FailArmy - YouTube

Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 AM

748 posts, read 1,380,618 times
I think anyone that purposely goes without insurance is a fool.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Source??? Please, link something that backs this up.

Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes

Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 12,514 times
I will be paying at least twice as much for insurance than I pay now, unfortunately. This is if I want a plan that is closest to what I have now in terms of deductible, out of pocket, etc. That goes for the ACA plans and private insurance quotes for 2014.

The lowest plan available to me on the ACA is still more than what I already pay for per month with higher out of pocket costs.

22, female, make less than the $43k (or whatever the highest is for individuals to qualify for subsides) but make too much to get any subsidies. No health insurance at work, parents' insurance not an option.

Not sure what I'll do or how I'll choose, especially if the prices are close for ACA vs private. I don't want to pay the penalty since I don't want to give the government money for nothing and I DO want health insurance even though the last time I was injured/ill and had to go to the doctor was in 4th grade...for a broken bone.

I am trying to keep an open mind but right now I'm feeling a little screwed over.

And I planned on adding more percentages and numbers to this but haven't been able to log onto the Healthcare.gov website this morning.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM

3,618 posts, read 7,979,550 times
>Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes

This article criticizes the HHS comparisons as unrealistic. However I'm not sure that the comparison in this article is fair either. They compare the cost of a (guaranteed-acceptance) plan under the ACA with existing prices in the individual markets for younger people. But these plans are not available to all comers- at present companies cherry-pick young people with no pre-existing conditions.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,194,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And remember: the federal gov't can withhold any income tax monies (refund) you have coming, in order to grab that penalty fee.
which means most ppl will stop paying income tax , yeah like they are going to throw everyone in jail that does not pay their taxes .!!! sorry they dont have enough prisons or jails to do so .

Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,194,698 times
I hope the next guy in repeals this aca and makes it go away ....I wish this country would get a head on their shoulders and start thinking with it and impeach this sack o crap we have in there .

Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,502,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I hope the next guy in repeals this aca and makes it go away ....I wish this country would get a head on their shoulders and start thinking with it and impeach this sack o crap we have in there .
This was passed by Congress and validated by the Supreme Court..just exactly who are you talking about that needs to be "impeached"???

Your lack of understanding of how this works does not mean people do not have their heads on their shoulders. It is a very good move in the right direction. What is your solution if you don't like the ACA?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 AM

215 posts, read 298,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I searched for a discussion of this under Health Insurance but could not find a thread specifically regarding this question.

Other than a lack of people enrolling in ACA and my own premiums going up as many formerly uninsurables are added to the health care rolls, this is not applicable to me as I am in my sixties and retired. However, I recall when I was young (18-30) and healthy and did not have health insurance, I don't ever recall worrying about not having insurance even when I was working at some outdoor jobs where I could have been easily hurt. If I had had an office or inside job like many young people now have, I certainly would not have ever had any concerns.

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION: If I were an 18 to 30 year old and the ACA was just being implemented, why should I not just pay the low annual penalty rather than the higher health premium and when I was injured, I could then enroll? Are there any waiting periods or penalties for doing that?
https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-s...erage-in-2014/

From the web site:

Most people must have health coverage in 2014 or pay a fee. If you don’t have coverage in 2014, you’ll have to pay a penalty of $95 per adult, $47.50 per child, or 1% of your income (whichever is higher). The fee increases every year. Some people may qualify for an exemption to this fee.

The fee in 2014 and beyond

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it is 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

In 2014 the fee for uninsured children is $47.50 per child. The most a family would have to pay in 2014 is $285.

It's important to remember that someone who pays the fee won't get any health insurance coverage. They still will be responsible for 100% of the cost of their medical care.

After open enrollment ends on March 31, 2014, they won't be able to get health coverage through the Marketplace until the next annual enrollment period, unless they have a qualifying life event.
A change in your life that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in health coverage. Examples of qualifying life events are moving to a new state, certain changes in your income, and changes in your family size (for example, if you marry, divorce, or have a baby).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance