Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

I have been told it could take up to 24 months to get , that seems like an awful long time . Im asking for someone else .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
When I worked for DDS (disability determination service) years ago, the ideal turnaround time (from the day the application came in to a determination) was 30 days.
That rarely happened as the determination was based on medical information. A treating physician saying "this patient is totally, permenently disabled" was not sufficient.
Getting comprehensive medical records from doctors and medical facilities was the main stumbling block.
If no information was forth coming, we had to schedule a physical (or psychiatric) exam with a State approved physician. That added to the processing time.

The last time I spoke with someone from DDS, they said that the ideal turnaround time was 60 days.

The good thing is that if approved for SSI disability, the payments go back to the date of application. For SSD disability, the applicant has to wait for 6 months from the application date to start receiving payments.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
It's also a matter of them deciding that the case qualifies. I've heard such horror stories (a cousin for example w/colon cancer and they denied forever before finally qualifying him) - husband was accepted immediately (end stage renal failure). I think it basically is a question of the reason.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Yes, the case always has to qualify under specific SS guidelines. The condition has to meet the qualifications, be expected to cause significant impairment for at least one year or result in death.

Colon cancer does not, necessarily, cause significant impairment of day to day functioning nor does it always result in death.

When processing a claim the age, educational background, work experience plus the impairment are all factored into the decision.

One thing that will prolong an outcome is if the original claim is denied and the applicant appeals the decision.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM

174 posts, read 596,804 times
I have a friend of mine that just applied for ssi. He can't work any more due to his reumatoid arthritis. He was told by his case worker that it's going to take him at least six months before it gets approved for him. He has to go through several medical assessments and even a psychological examination.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
I had a friend who was diagnosed with a debilitating nerve disease. It took over 3 years to be approved. In the meantime, she lost her house.

I have heard it is preferable and quicker to get an attorney who specializes in SSI cases.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
My DH was in a serious work accident, had his spine and hip crushed, and was completely disabled. It took three years for him to get approved for disability, and numerous hearings. They had all of his physicians' records the whole time, and received all of the updates. Even with the State Worker's Comp decision that yes he was completely disabled in their hands, SSI fought it.

It all depends on the state in which you live and who the commissioners are. If they are as a group of the mindset that they are going to save the State and Federal Government money, and be able to brag about how they are 'eliminating fraud', they will argue endlessly, postpone endlessly, demand endless and repetitive justifications, disallow numerous times, hoping that you die before they have to pay. (We found out later when we moved to Nebraska that, if we had filed here instead of SC, he would have been approved in 3 months - because the NE state commissioners can read medical treatises and aren't politically motivated.)

An SSI attorney on your behalf is forbidden by Federal law to charge above a set amount, no matter how long it takes or how many hearings, etc you have to have. Tell your friend to get one. If it wasn't for ours, we'd still be in limbo, jumping thru the hoops - or have been disallowed.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,032 times
My understanding is that it might take as long as a year, and that they more or less automatically turn everyone down initially, regardless of the circumstances. (Though if you do get it, the money accrues from the time you applied, as stated above).

I think what most people do or need to do is have it handled by an attorney who specializes in this area. They will take a portion of the back payments, but you have a much better, and quicker, chance of getting the money.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I had a friend who was diagnosed with a debilitating nerve disease. It took over 3 years to be approved. In the meantime, she lost her house.

I have heard it is preferable and quicker to get an attorney who specializes in SSI cases.
That is such a shame.

Some diseases, at the onset, do not significantly interfer with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) or the ability to perform substancial work activity. But as the disease progresses it becomes more and more dibilitating until it meets the SS criteria. That might have been the case here.

In some cases it is beneficial to pursue the appeals process. This involves filing a reconsideration for your claim. This reconsideration is usually denied as it is processed by the same people with the same disability guidelines.

One has to do that before they can request a hearing. The hearing is before a State appointed Administrative Law Judge. This Judge is not bound by the same criteria as the SS worker.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
My understanding is that it might take as long as a year, and that they more or less automatically turn everyone down initially, regardless of the circumstances.
This is, actually, not true.

If the impairment meets the SS criteria, the disability claim is approved with no regard to age, education or work history.

SS workers love these cases as they are quick, clean and improve their turn around time immensely. Each SS worker is evaluated by their case turn around time. And each decision, whether approved or disapproved, has to be backed up with facts.

So a claim that clearly meets the criteria is a welcome case to the disability worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance