Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times

Advertisements

For Jambo101, the "self pay" here in the US is hideously expensive. My sister, who was unemployed but wished to have health insurance, had to pay $645 PER MONTH for just herself. No pre existing conditions. Is it any wonder that unemployed/underemployed people opt for no insurance? For many, it would boil down to this: pay for insurance and give up food, or go uninsured and pray that nothing happens to you. Either way, it is a very unappealing situation.

I live both in the US and Canada. So often I hear US citizens criticize the Canadian system (almost always based on untrue stories, etc) but they know nothing about it. I know this much, in Canada, none of my friends or neighbors even have to think about loosing everything if someone in their family gets sick or hurt. It just doesn't happen up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
For Jambo101, the "self pay" here in the US is hideously expensive. My sister, who was unemployed but wished to have health insurance, had to pay $645 PER MONTH for just herself. No pre existing conditions. Is it any wonder that unemployed/underemployed people opt for no insurance? For many, it would boil down to this: pay for insurance and give up food, or go uninsured and pray that nothing happens to you. Either way, it is a very unappealing situation.

I live both in the US and Canada. So often I hear US citizens criticize the Canadian system (almost always based on untrue stories, etc) but they know nothing about it. I know this much, in Canada, none of my friends or neighbors even have to think about loosing everything if someone in their family gets sick or hurt. It just doesn't happen up there.
I remember some years ago I read about a man from Canada was visiting a friend in the US. He saw a story on the news about a little boy who had leukemia and his neighbors were doing everything they could to help raise money for his medical expenses; bake sales, yard sales, collection cans in stores and arrangments to have announcements made on the local news asking for donations. The boy's family had medical insurance but not enough to cover all the copays and amounts the insurance didn't cover.

The Canadian was intrigued by the generosity of the neighbors. His host proudly stated "You see all those people gathered around to help this family with their medical expenses?" "That's Americans for you, I bet you don't see that kind of thing in Canada."

The vistor responded by saying although it was heartening to see all these good people rallying for this cause; "It's wonderful to see them doing this but in Canada they wouldn't have to.The boy's medical expenses would be taken care of through our governemnt health plan." He was concerned about what would happen if enough money wasn't raised.

People from outside the US look at us as less than a third world nation when it comes to taking care of our own.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

People from outside the US look at us as less than a third world nation when it comes to taking care of our own.
Certainly got us scratching our heads as we read of 40 million people from the supposed richest country in the world have no healthcare coverage

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/francis/archive/2009/05/12/health-care-lies-about-canda.aspx (broken link)

Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 AM

143 posts, read 374,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
IThe Canadian was intrigued by the generosity of the neighbors. His host proudly stated "You see all those people gathered around to help this family with their medical expenses?" "That's Americans for you, I bet you don't see that kind of thing in Canada."

The vistor responded by saying although it was heartening to see all these good people rallying for this cause; "It's wonderful to see them doing this but in Canada they wouldn't have to.The boy's medical expenses would be taken care of through our governemnt health plan."
And the government health plan is paid for with taxes, so really, not just family and the neighborhood rally around their sick, but the whole society ... and we definitely don't see that kind of thing here in America.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
There are very few Americans who aren't one illness away from bankruptcy. Especially if you figure in how difficult it would be to be hired anywhere because of that illness. It's hard to pay if you can't get a decent job.

I believe everyone needs to do what they can to minimize the damage. Homesteading does protect you. As does having money in annuities/401K/retirement plan. Those funds also have some protection and are future sheltered income.

Most of us will get sick sooner or later. Stay in the best health possible and do what you can to protect yourself.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Living in a border state with Canada, I know of many CDN's who have fled south (to USA) for care they couldn't get in Canada, but that doesn't mean either is better. Just some things Canada does not have decent coverage or process for care. I would generally prefer SOME care to NO care. Each circumstance varies with complexities. I have many friends on 'self-pay', due to unreasonable costs for coverage. This gap of coverage is only gonna widen resulting in higher costs for those in the system, or using it. I perceive I will need to go overseas for care, there is no way I can pay with the plan that is proposed.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Self pay only applies as long as you stay pretty ehalthy. One major hospitalizatrion can cost more than eyears of insurance coverage. The older you get the more likely that medical cost can bankrupt you.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Living in a border state with Canada, I know of many CDN's who have fled south (to USA) for care they couldn't get in Canada,
Actually the Canadian healthcare system will advise some one living closer to an American hospital to visit that hospital in an emergency or if a particular American Facility is closer,or if some one is on vacation and needs emergency medical coverage Canadas healthcare picks up the bill.
As for Canadians fleeing south for this care? i think they just go in their cars or take an ambulance rather than running around madly with the look of fear in their eyes..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
While the topic has bounced from what would/should Johnny do to universal health care I will drop my .02 on the topics.

If Johnny has 500K in a savings account and he didn't buy health ins then he is gonna have to pay. He can not claim bankruptcy with that kind of money in savings, maybe in an 401K. There are lots of folks who have gone through their 401K and savings to pay for medical care.

I lived in Panama in the 60s.. they had universal health care for everyone. You didn't have to pay anything to go to the doctor or hospital. Their avg wage was .62 an hour back then.

BTW.. many companies do not offer health care to temporary employees and if they do offer it is usually so expensive they can't afford it. Try making $10 an hour and have your health ins costing you $150 a week for your family of 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance