Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,373 times

Advertisements

Aloha! I as a white guy lived in Honolulu for half a year (or 6 months and have been in the process of moving back there soon because I’ve missed its beautiful environment and gorgeous climate where a humid weather doesn’t land there very often because thanks to a tradewind and Honolulu is located between beautiful lush green mountains and Pacific Ocean that makes the city very comfortable - not like Florida or Washington, DC during humid months in the summer season, but yes, the weather in Honolulu generally is very hot during the summer months because it is located in a tropics zone and is also closer to the sun, but like I said, it has a gorgeous climate anyway. You would, if you plan to fly there, need to apply a sunscreen lotion with a SPF 40 for a begin for about 2 or 3 days first or you would look like a cooked red lobster and the pain from sunburnt skin is very bad, but it only last about 2 days or so, depending on what kind your skin is like an olive skin that can be tanned or if a fair skin, just be careful, then a SPF 20 for about 2 days before a SPF 10, but make sure you judge yourself and use your common sense. Be sure to read about how to avoid from being a cooked red lobster yourself and the information will tell you what to do. You would need to reapply the lotion all over on your body for about every 15 minutes anyway. I am sure you should be alright with just a common sense. As for me, yes, I was very sunburnt for a few days after I moved there, but a few days later it became tanned because my skin is olive even I had to apply a sunscreen lotion on me all times no matter what even on a cloudy day) and met some African Americans there and all of them moved to Honolulu from the mainland USA because some of them were the U.S. Armed Forces, while some of them moved there to just escape from too much crimes on the mainland U.S. All of them whom I met were very friendly and very warmly people. They also were not the racists because many people in the state of Hawaii never believed and still practically never believe in racist. They told me that they loved Hawaii lots than California, Ohio, New York State, and some other states where they came from because they really were very peaceful, nice, and sweet people. They never did involve into drugs and crimes, not like the mainland U.S. I am sure you would adore them whenever you have a chance to meet them. Most of them live around Waikiki Beach. I am not too sure if Honolulu has an African-American community, but I only lived there for half a year in Waikiki Beach. Maybe the city should have one. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,373 times
Aloha again,

One more thing, many African - Americans in Honolulu really didn’t care if they date or got involved their relationships with non African-Americans there even they got married. One time my friends and I went to a bar in Waikiki Beach, one of them said “I never saw a black guy with an Oriental lady” and 3 of us said “so what” because we told him that many people in Honolulu didn’t interest in a racial issue no matter what. Typically he came from Virginia and no wondered he was such an airhead white guy. Of course, he lived there after he flew moving to Honolulu from Norfolk. I am from Rochester, NY. Two friends of mine are from Honolulu anyway. Yes, some of African - Americans from the mainland U.S. attended at University of Hawaii in Honolulu as the college students. Of course, some of them were born in Honolulu anyway.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM

70 posts, read 66,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
There is still some lingering hostility towards the Military for a variety of reasons;
Hawaii was forcibly annexed into the Country and our much beloved Queen was held prisoner in her own palace- those were American ships with their cannons aimed towards us and those were American Soldiers who enforced the 'annexation'.

Up until the sixties most of the Military personnel were Haoles and no, locals were NOT treated well on our own Island! We were looked down upon and many young girls were dazzled by the Military men and were left pregnant and alone when the men went back to their wives and children.

There was a very infamous incident known as the Massey case; a young Officer's (White of course) was found beaten after a night of heavy partying- she claims that she was raped.

5 Local men had been taken into custody after a traffic incident and naturally the leap was made that they were the savages that raped and beat this poor drunk White Officer's "lady". No other suspects were EVER considered.

One man was severely beaten and another was shot to death. The young woman's socially prominent mother, husband and two Sailors were identified and apprehended. They left the Islands and were never pursued to the Mainland. Although the other young men were found guilty and sentenced to 4-10 years the Gov. commuted the sentences to one hour in his offices.

As for the 'protection' of the Military during Pearl Harbor- we would not have been bombed if the Military were not here in the first place! Also, those Locals that were injured during the attack were denied hospital care as it was designated Military personnel first, then White persons and if there was time or resources THEN Local people might be looked at- more often than not they were turned away and cared for by family and friends.

Even today many Military persons an their family members come to Hawaii and attempt to impose their way of life upon the Locals. Often locals are treated derogatorily and 'looked down upon". It DOES grate when a Military Member (or family member) constantly refers to how things are down "back in the States". We are constantly told about how horrible it is to live on an Island and how very lucky we are that the Military is willing to be here.

I am certainly NOT against the Military. I am a Native Hawaiian, born and bred here on Oahu. I am a proud Army Veteran and have been married to a Soldier (now Retired) for 23 years and most of my friends are still Army.

So, while I am proud to have Served I know (having heard different conversations both here and on the Mainland about how awful a tour in Hawaii is and how we are uneducated, unemployed an drug addicted/pushers locals are) that it does leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

Sorry this has been so long, but obviously the connection between "Locals" and the "Military" has been a long and twisted one and it is not easy to quickly explain where the negative feeling come from...
This type of stuff is why Ill never move to Hawaii. I'm sure what happened is terrible but if it wasn't the US, then it would be another country that took over Hawaii. That and I wouldn't want to pay 800k for a decaying shack.
I can see why half the west coast is Hawaiians who fled. I've even had bad experiences on 'the mainland' where I seriously felt some Hawaiian coworkers held a lot of hatred for white coworkers. Although most are fine, I must say.
Too much of a damaged populace imo (yes I know the US gov could have done things better, but hey, this country was never really an angel from the start) and despite being a tropical place, those type of islands are actually desolate and difficult to maintain modern life on which is very expensive.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I'm black and live in Honolulu. I'm also military for what that is worth. I'd agree that you'll tend to find larger concentrations of blacks around military bases, but there is also a local black community here in Honolulu and you'll find blacks throughout the island. The community may not be geographically in the same area, but folks to get together to go to church, dine out, come together for fraternity/sorority gatherings (historically black frats and sororities are very active even post graduation from college and initiate many of their members after the college days have passed, too), etc.

As for discrimination, I haven't been discriminated against while I've been in Hawaii, though (in what was a twist for me), several of my white friends have experienced faced discrimination.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:36 AM

The Popolo Project is an interesting organization that I just found out about. For those who want to experience black cultural events on Oahu, here is their events page: https://www.thepopoloproject.org/events-2021

When I move back to Honolulu next year, I definitely plan to check this group out. I don't know about some of the SJW stuff on the page, but some events do seem interesting.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:28 AM

451 posts, read 411,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The Popolo Project is an interesting organization that I just found out about. For those who want to experience black cultural events on Oahu, here is their events page: https://www.thepopoloproject.org/events-2021

When I move back to Honolulu next year, I definitely plan to check this group out. I don't know about some of the SJW stuff on the page, but some events do seem interesting.

The a quick read of the resumes (CV's) of the organization's BOD is impressive.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
The a quick read of the resumes (CV's) of the organization's BOD is impressive.
They are. I thought I recognized one of the board members from when I attended some of the BLSA meeting at the law school, but she is someone else. I'll definitely check them out if they are still a thing next year.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:32 PM

To add to this thread, I attended a virtual book club hosted by the Popolo Project. That was my first and probably last Popolo Project event as the leader was blatantly anti-military and anti-"outsider" in general. I don't take part in organizations where I'm not welcome.

There are other community groups that are active on FB that host regular events. One group is Afro Aloha (formerly Black Bazaar), and they just got through hosting their annual picnic event on the Bishop Museum grounds and will host a Juneteenth event as well. https://www.afroaloha.com/dripniq

https://www.afroaloha.com/

Old 05-31-2023, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To add to this thread, I attended a virtual book club hosted by the Popolo Project. That was my first and probably last Popolo Project event as the leader was blatantly anti-military and anti-"outsider" in general. I don't take part in organizations where I'm not welcome.
Interesting - when you consider less than 3% of the population on Oahu is Black or African American - not being friendly to military members or outsiders would really shrink your numbers.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Interesting - when you consider less than 3% of the population on Oahu is Black or African American - not being friendly to military members or outsiders would really shrink your numbers.
Yeah. She was a black women who apparently speaks fluent Hawaiian and have lived here for decades. The other group seems to be more active anyways. To be fair, this was one person, but it was one too many, especially considering that she was a leader in the organization and spearheading this virtual book club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii