Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 12:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Only 76.48 inches of rain at my place so far in 2021, but who's counting?
That is way too much rain but at least the weather is warm year round (not for my liking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 12:44 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
I would love to visit Hawaii but not live their plus I could not afford it.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sure. But, especially in winter, even south shore Honolulu has very frequent rains. Often brief, sometimes a few hours - then sun? Yeah. Also not uncommon to have 4-5 days or even a week straight of heavy rains with 20-30 knot winds. It’s warm though

I’m up at my cabin in the San Juan Islands of Washington now ... doing my Covid isolation for a year straight. Rain most days from Nov -Feb / March ... also frequently with high winds ... ... and 35 degree days ... brrrrrrr!
Perhaps we have been lucky. In Oahu in November we would go to a beach and it would start raining before we even got out of the car, but we could wait 5 minutes and the sun was back. On Maui we have only had rain while on the Road to Hana, on and off, but yes, heavy. You are lucky, though, the San Juans with the rain shadow get half the rain we do here in Sammamish. That's why some retirees, like our next door neighbor move to places like Anacortes and Friday Harbor.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
That is way too much rain but at least the weather is warm year round (not for my liking).
I like a lot rain but must admit it's been a bit too much lately for East Hawaii. Rainy and not so warm either. Maybe half or more of your average 24 hours below 70 degrees. So, I don't mind missing most of it since returning to Alaska on Feb 1. (early snowbird this year)

It's turned out to be about a straight up trade of rainfall inches for snowfall inches. My location here in Alaska averages 92 inches of rain and about 90 inches of snow per year, with past two months above average snow wise.

Puna real estate is far cheaper than where you live in California. Cost of everything else is way higher, as you expect.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Perhaps we have been lucky. In Oahu in November we would go to a beach and it would start raining before we even got out of the car, but we could wait 5 minutes and the sun was back. On Maui we have only had rain while on the Road to Hana, on and off, but yes, heavy. You are lucky, though, the San Juans with the rain shadow get half the rain we do here in Sammamish. That's why some retirees, like our next door neighbor move to places like Anacortes and Friday Harbor.
Lucky? Not really. IMO you're unlucky to encounter a significant rainy spell at leeward Hawaii locations during winter. It can happen, for sure, and they can be extended but much more likely to be brief spells like you've experienced.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
IMO you're unlucky to encounter a significant rainy spell at leeward Hawaii locations during winter.
On Oahu - not this year. Leeward Oahu has gotten dumped on.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
On Oahu - not this year. Leeward Oahu has gotten dumped on.
Oh, I wasn't aware. Maybe Maui too? A good year for tourists to stay away, whether they wanted to or not.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 PM

80 posts, read 88,513 times
No samba dances here. Hawaii is a US location unique in its scenery, activities and culture with good weather that's relatively easy to access, navigate, is comfortable and modern-ish. On the flipside, plenty locals I know, if they can afford it, don't really go to outer islands but go places like Japan, or US mainland cities, vegas, skiing, etc. as that's unique and exotic to them.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I'm not even sure what a samba is. Is that like The Lambada..."The Forbidden Dance" ?

Is there some strange Lambada-Hula Fusion I don't know about?

Old 04-03-2021, 10:54 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Maybe hulu dance?
The OP is very confusing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii