Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM

34 posts, read 369,285 times

Advertisements

Aloha Hawaiians and others...I have visited Hawaii a few times throughout my life and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I have some native Hawaiian friends and we were all considering moving to Hawaii. I understand there are not many African Americans but according to statistics there are close to 40,000...many on the forums say that they never seen to many well where do the 40,000 in the state live? are they spread out? One Community? Will one be able to get African American haircuts in Hawaii..thanks. I can deal with not being around AA's for a little bit, especially coming from Detroit. I'm considering a 2-3yr short term move. I am 23yrs old and considering Oahu with my native Islander buddy who is 22. and yes We love to party....So how is the nightlife? Thanks for any and all comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
The largest community of African Americans are around the Military Installations. There are also students at UH.

Nightlife for young adults is generally pretty active in and around Waikiki and some of the spots around UH.

There are places where you can get your hair cared for, usually around the Military Installations as well as one near Waikiki.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Great thanks for the input. Can't wait and since my buddy's a native we shouldn't experience too much discrimination right?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 AM

39 posts, read 110,803 times
I've never been to Oahu, but I lived on the Big Island and Maui for two years. As far as discrimination goes, I think you're less likely to experience it than whites (haoles), especially with a Hawaiian friend. I never saw anywhere on the BI or Maui where you could get special treatment for your hair. The black people I came in contact with were almost all hippies with dreads! Also there is little to no nightlife on those islands; sounds like you will fare better on busy Oahu! Aloha

Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM

lol thanks sunandsalt for the input...waikiki here i come.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM

121 posts, read 248,459 times
I was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years and I never experienced any discrimination. A few of my soldiers who are white experienced discrimination but I sort of understand why. They were the cowboy hat wearing type and were sort of in your face about their southern ways, you know reble flags, blasting country music, chewing tobacco and stuff like that.

Whe I lived in Hawaii, I assimilated with the locals and adpoted some of their culture. Before moving to Hawaii, I never wore flip flops, T-shirts and shorts outside of going to the beach or pool. I'm more of the type that likes to dress up a bit. Attire is very towned down in Hawaii and I adapted. Follow your local friends and do what they do.

We just returned from a vacation in Hawaii less than a month ago and Hawaii is as great as it ever was. You will be fine in Hawaii. If you are single, you will have the time of your life. A brother hanging with Local guys, you will be the "exotic" one in the group. Trust me.

Hawaii has 2 pretty good hip hop/R&B/Top40 radio stations and the clubs are awesome. You will have a leg up since you know a few locals. If you want to dissasociate from military guys, grow facial hair. This could be a pro and a con. Ohh (Locals prefer to be called local instead of natives)

There are barbershops in Wahiawa near Schoefield Barracks and there used to be one in Salt Lake near Pearl Harbor that specialize in our kind of hair.

Enjoy Hawaii.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 AM

40 posts, read 122,319 times
That's not true there's NO nightlife on BI or Maui. Just different sort of nightlife~! If you are into "partying" and nightclubs, Maui may be a better choice, but yes, Oahu does have a bustling NITELIFE~

Yes, the haoles are way more discriminated against than the black in Hawaii! Consider yourself fortunate you are dark-skinned, there are spots, or there used to be spots on Oahu, you'd NOT want to go or live.. Makaha had a bad reputation for being hostile to haoles.
But not many blacks live on BI... so if you are looking for fellow AA women to date, you'd not have much choice at all! Just the way it is, that's all.

Someone tell me something, why is it that the military guys are not treated the same as civilians on Oahu?
I mean, think about it, Oahu was attacked by the Japanese a/c fleet during Pearl Harbor, you'd think they'd want military people on their island to protect them...??? don't know.. just wondering...

They are ALL nice islands to live on though... So wish I lived there.. the mainland is awful compared to Hawaii
People are so much more laid-back and tolerant of others' difference. You'll find people from all OVER the world!
No one is going to give you a hard time simply b/c you are not born in the same state or region as them, which is often the case in some areas or states on the mainland.
Send me a coconut, okay?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Great thanks very much to everyone who replied and gave further insight. This will be a great short-term move....big question is jobs. My friends and I will be staying at their former house that they own for that 2-3yrs and how is job availability and security.....Would like to not just sit around the house for long.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBeagle View Post
Someone tell me something, why is it that the military guys are not treated the same as civilians on Oahu?
I mean, think about it, Oahu was attacked by the Japanese a/c fleet during Pearl Harbor, you'd think they'd want military people on their island to protect them...??? don't know.. just wondering...
There is still some lingering hostility towards the Military for a variety of reasons;
Hawaii was forcibly annexed into the Country and our much beloved Queen was held prisoner in her own palace- those were American ships with their cannons aimed towards us and those were American Soldiers who enforced the 'annexation'.

Up until the sixties most of the Military personnel were Haoles and no, locals were NOT treated well on our own Island! We were looked down upon and many young girls were dazzled by the Military men and were left pregnant and alone when the men went back to their wives and children.

There was a very infamous incident known as the Massey case; a young Officer's (White of course) was found beaten after a night of heavy partying- she claims that she was raped.

5 Local men had been taken into custody after a traffic incident and naturally the leap was made that they were the savages that raped and beat this poor drunk White Officer's "lady". No other suspects were EVER considered.

One man was severely beaten and another was shot to death. The young woman's socially prominent mother, husband and two Sailors were identified and apprehended. They left the Islands and were never pursued to the Mainland. Although the other young men were found guilty and sentenced to 4-10 years the Gov. commuted the sentences to one hour in his offices.

As for the 'protection' of the Military during Pearl Harbor- we would not have been bombed if the Military were not here in the first place! Also, those Locals that were injured during the attack were denied hospital care as it was designated Military personnel first, then White persons and if there was time or resources THEN Local people might be looked at- more often than not they were turned away and cared for by family and friends.

Even today many Military persons an their family members come to Hawaii and attempt to impose their way of life upon the Locals. Often locals are treated derogatorily and 'looked down upon". It DOES grate when a Military Member (or family member) constantly refers to how things are down "back in the States". We are constantly told about how horrible it is to live on an Island and how very lucky we are that the Military is willing to be here.

I am certainly NOT against the Military. I am a Native Hawaiian, born and bred here on Oahu. I am a proud Army Veteran and have been married to a Soldier (now Retired) for 23 years and most of my friends are still Army.

So, while I am proud to have Served I know (having heard different conversations both here and on the Mainland about how awful a tour in Hawaii is and how we are uneducated, unemployed an drug addicted/pushers locals are) that it does leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

Sorry this has been so long, but obviously the connection between "Locals" and the "Military" has been a long and twisted one and it is not easy to quickly explain where the negative feeling come from...

Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM

No problem jrab,
We are in our 40s and w-a-y past any behavior like you mentioned. In fact we had our children at a young age so we were home with them not running around, getting drunk and acting ignorant like many single, young Military members have been known to do!

Many are young and away from home and their parents for the first time and are a little drunk with their freedom.

You are correct that in the more isolated Stations sometimes the behaviors are pretty outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii